The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ep 59 of the Letters Page - Tempest

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Ep 59 of the Letters Page - Tempest

It’s finally here and we asked so many questions this episode is the longest one so far http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/episode-59-tempest

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Demiher0
Demiher0's picture
Playtester

I am the worst kind of person and jumped to the announcements first... I am excited... for the 20th...like so excited.

But a little bummed I live in the wrong time zone to probably comfortably watch it live

Stupid adult responsibilities (that I will doubtlessly ignore) wink

Hankroyd

Can you stop with that Tempest joke.

It's really getting old and unfu ... well ... It's not a joke. OK I'm a fool, don't mind me. cool

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Bet ya 50 Blade Bucks the length will be complained about fer the most whined for episode ever. :P

Demiher0
Demiher0's picture
Playtester

50 Blade Bucks is like 20 Space Bucks right?  

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I dunno, I suck at comicbook money-conversion.

cnranger

I'm excited to see another long episode. Of course I wonlt be listening to it all in one sitting, but its going to entertain me for a number of commutes. I'm not going to hear the announcement stuff until Thursday most likely, unless its spoiled somewhere on the forums.

Blackfang108
Playtester

I'm partway through, stopped for lunch becasue I'll miss half of it if I'm trying to hear what number the food truck is calling.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

May 22nd :D

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

So Tempest's race are less sexy Asari - cool

Sapienta potentia est

Ehkrickor
Ehkrickor's picture

padcurtin wrote:

So Tempest's race are less sexy Asari - cool

Or maybe they're More sexy Amphibiosans (Kif from Futurama)

The Girl With N...

Hmm... that's quite a few weeks in a row my question didn't make the cut. That's a little depressing. Oh well.

Good episode this week. I liked that we actually heard about bad writing in Sentinel Comics. It makes the company feel a lot more real.

Side note: Fanatic has a quote from Stranger in a Strange World #8 in her deck (Divine Focus), and that book is from the sixties. That makes Fanatic a way earlier hero than I assumed. Or maybe there are two volumes? Hmm...

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Okay, was I the only one entirely creeped out by Maerynian reproduction? This was not the hot alien nookie I was waiting for. D:

Regarding the announcements, I am way excited for both story arc episodes and Disparations. I hope they'll do them in pairs, kind of. Like, give us the 'actual' story before the Disparation. If applicable. I'm sure there are a few we've got enough background on to hear straight up, anyway.

Shoot, I waited to long to post comments, I don't remember what else I was thinking about. :(

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

Okay, was I the only one entirely creeped out by Maerynian reproduction? This was not the hot alien nookie I was waiting for. D:

I more just like the storytelling implications. You just know with that setup somebody is going to end up as part Maerynian parent and be not sure what to think about it.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Girl With N...

"Anthony, remember when Akash'Bhuta threw me off a building, and you flew up and caught me?"

"Of course, M'kk. Why do you ask?"

"Well..."

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Or worse implications: Citizen Storm could possibly be the alternate-universe kid Dawn Cohen always wanted.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Aw sure we start out in cute/funny crack ship land and now it's all serious...

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The Girl With No Name wrote:

Side note: Fanatic has a quote from Stranger in a Strange World #8 in her deck (Divine Focus), and that book is from the sixties. That makes Fanatic a way earlier hero than I assumed. Or maybe there are two volumes? Hmm...

All the core heroes are fairly older ones.  I believe Fanatic is the newest out of them but her first appearance is what would have been the first volume of Mystery Comics.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

From what I understood, egg-bearing Maerynian's can gather DNA from multiple sources, so the entire Primer Wars team can be the parents (that is, if non-Maerynian DNA can be used after all).  

The Almighty Weasel
The Almighty Weasel's picture

Knowing that Tempest is among the most hot-headed of his species, I present a Maerynian joke.

Three Maerynians are sat at home when a fish swins by the window.

A day later, one of them says, "I think that was a cod."

The next day, the second replies, "No, it was a haddock."

The day after, the third says, "Everybody calm down, you don't need to fight about it!"

Ceterum, censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

TakeWalker wrote:

Okay, was I the only one entirely creeped out by Maerynian reproduction? This was not the hot alien nookie I was waiting for. 

It reminded me of the Uryuoms from El Goonish Shive.

Also, Humanity First! is the name of the anti-mutant faction in the Whateley Universe webfiction series.  So this was the week of unintentional (probably?) webfiction references, to me at least.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Some random thoughts now that WalkingTarget's summaries refresh my memory:

The whole Prime Wardens Volume 2 thing and its timing likely answers a question I had in the back of my head for a while now: Namely, wondering if the XTreme Prime Wardens showing up on the cover of Prime Wardens #1 was really "our" Wardens going through the same wacky 90s fashion phase that the real world comics did, which the XPWs were then a repurposing of. Nope, the XTreme Prime Wardens were on the cover because it was in fact actually the XTreme Prime Wardens.

(Good, because now I don't feel so stupid for forgetting to ask about it for the Prime Wardens ep along with the other questions I asked. >_>;)

Between the whole "Yeah, but, Earth, man!/But what if it was Earth?" thing, Haka in general, some of Cosmic's choices for constructs (like the double-decker bus) and some of the scenes Christopher has painted for Argent Adept (like his reaction to Wager Master throwing their fiddle contest), I now feel sort of convinced that at least 4/5ths of the Prime Wardens are actually just very tall adorable children pretending to be adults.

On the one hand, to me it makes perfect sense for an alien ambassador to like pop music since it's essentially modern folk music, and folk music in turn is essentially anthropology with a catchy rhythm. On the other hand, the fact that Tempest specifically likes happy cheery music suggests that's not actually their motivation so yeah I dunno I guess.

I do think we definitely need to start taking a fandom pool for which people end up being unexpected co-parent(s) of Tempest's egg, because if that's not a setup for such a story I'll eat someone's hat.

Much like AZ keeps getting more awesome every time he shows up in a podcast, Sky-Scraper seems to keep getting more and more adorably sweet.

I admit I never read too much into Tempest calling Miss Info by her first name because being a secretary is essentially the formal version of retail work, and in retail that sort of "friendliness" is standard (and even mandatory) regardless of actual friend relations.

Tempest and the dog turns out to be even cuter than Vernal Sonata already was, though it's still a little unclear about what the context of that particular card is. (Tempest introducing the rest of the Prime Wardens to said furry friend maybe?)

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Listening again , C and A state that Tempest's culture doesn't have a concept of pets. Since pets are the result of domestication, they must never have domesticated any of their planet's animals

Sapienta potentia est

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I just imagine someone asking Tempest about the dog and he's like, "Though I find his species incredibly friendly, I must admit a certain embarrassment, as I have yet to decipher their language."

That whole "This is my friend and I don't know his name and he doesn't know mine" is really deep, though. That's powerful.