The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ep 58 of The Letters Page - More Settings

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
Ep 58 of The Letters Page - More Settings

Are you ready to learn more about dinosaurs, artifacts, hot things, soldiers and ERROR 404 JOKE NOT FOUND ?

Then it's time for you to listen to this week's Letters Page!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Maybe it was the dinosaurs but this was certainly one of the more enjoyable Environment episodes.  I know information on stuff in the deck itself if sparse but I’m still surprised I’m the only one to ask Fort Adamant questions.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

For the record, feathered dinosaurs are way less cool than the Jurassic Park kind. Except for raptor types. I mean, Cassowaries exist, and that's basically what they look like. But keep them off my T-Rex! >:B (I have come to accept that, much as fruits have a botanical and culinary definition -- no one's putting gourds in a fruit salad, in other words -- there are scientific dinosaurs, and then there are cultural dinosaurs.)

So Atlantis turns out to be probably the most interesting place in the Multiverse. I wish I was better at thinking of questions to ask about these, because I always come up with stuff while the episode is on. D: But it sounds like Atlanteans are living hidden somewhere in the world! I have to wonder what's come from them. I'll bet that's another place you could source a hero from in the RPG!

Gotta love that final sacrifice, though. That is way hardcore, I cannot wait to see if anything else comes of it.

Thanks for asking all those Ft. Adamant questions, Powerhound. I kinda thought everything regarding it had been wrapped up in the Sentinels and Chokepoint episodes, but apparently not! Like, I didn't realize General Armstrong died a hero; I figured he was part of the dirty government activities! So learning the truth about that was great.

Okay, but dank Atlantean memes for the next fandom meme. :V wow, such tentacles, very kraken

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

Hearing C&A gushing about dinosaurs was certainly the best part of the episode. 

Now, we know that pieces of Atlantean lore have been spread around the world. It's very likely to be a plot hook in the RPG (or any future Sentinel Product), but peharps hidden knowledge already shaped history? I just had this thought that peharps the egyptian gods first got their power through Atlantean magic. 

I wonder if there was any interaction between Atlantis, Egypt and the Virtuosos/Akash. 

Also, cosmic horror still sealed under Atlantis. It's not a question if someone will try to set it free, but who and how. (Gloomweaver in the Atlantean kitchen with the magic candlestick).  

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Definitely excited about the possibilities of Atlantis; I've been riffing on it here and there with my Villain of the Day thread in the RPG sub-forum, but it's neat to see that there's some canon squamousness incoming.

I'm really hoping that, once the primary plots are worked through, that C & A give us a full rundown on the Termi-Nation event.  While we've gotten dribs and drabs of it here and there, it's never really been explored in full.  Specifically, how is it resolved?  While Choke(point) seems like the most violent, visible threat, the event exposes Dr. Demitkoff (sp?) and her experiments and pretty much annihilates Fort Adamant.  Would love to see that event get some more exposure!

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

Dr. Demitkoff (sp?)

Demikahv as of when I asked Christopher for a spelling back when the Chokepoint episode came out.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Am I the only one who kept hearing "Doctor Demagogue"? That sounds like it'd be a pretty good villain name.

Powerhound_2000

TakeWalker wrote:

Am I the only one who kept hearing "Doctor Demagogue"? 

Yes

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

cnranger

TakeWalker wrote:

No

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

Maybe

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

At one point it sounded to me like Christopher said "Dr Demigod".

Who is definitely now a villian my players will be facing in the RPG. 

Trajector
Trajector's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

For the record, feathered dinosaurs are way less cool than the Jurassic Park kind.

EXCUSE me, is this not the coolest most terrifying dinosaur right here?

Also a big difference between "scientific" and "cultural" T-Rexes, as you put it: "scientific" T-Rexes HUNT IN PACKS.

Deal 5*x damage to the target other than itself with the second highest HP, where x is the number of Raging Tyrannosaurs in play, huh?

Demiher0
Demiher0's picture
Playtester

I was always a bit more fond of this image

But yeah Dinosaurs are awesome. The fact they are feathered just makes them more vibrant in my opinion opposed to the greeny-grey my mind applied to there obviously scaly skin. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Trajector wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:
For the record, feathered dinosaurs are way less cool than the Jurassic Park kind.

No, I'm sorry, that's really terrible. D: Science ruined dinosaurs the same way they ruined planets. ;_;

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

TakeWalker wrote:
Trajector wrote:
 TakeWalker wrote:

No, I'm sorry, that's really terrible. D: Science ruined dinosaurs the same way they ruined planets. ;_;

It depends on how you decide to use them.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

Trajector wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:

What's wrong with planets? We now know there are planets with molten surfaces. We now know there are planets where the sun rises, goes up to zenith, then reverses direction and sets in the same place where it came up. There are moons in our own solar system with oceans under global ice caps. And it literally rains diamonds on Uranus. Astronomers discovered this stuff in the last couple decades, and it all fits right in with the best George Lucas could come up with.
TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Trajector wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:
Trajector wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:

What's wrong with planets?

Pluto D:

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

TakeWalker wrote:

Trajector wrote:
 TakeWalker wrote:
Trajector wrote: 
 TakeWalker wrote:

What's wrong with planets?

Pluto D:

What about Ceres?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

It's just an asteroid!

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Ceres and Pluto have a lot in common. They both are the first of their kind discovered. They both were classified as planets for over fifty years. They both are dwarf planets now .

Sapienta potentia est

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Apparently I didn't back the Patreon before this episode was recorded.  I noticed there were a lot of Ryan's though, and I'm only going to be adding to that.

I'm very intrigued by all the Atlantis stuff.  It's crazy how much future stuff Christopher and Adam have planned.  I really hope the RPG goes well so we actually get to see all of them, since I'm guessing RPG adventure books are where these plots are most likely to be revealed.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Those extra plots and such are also what the KS is going to fund mostly, from what I've heard. So we better make sure we kick those numbers up when the time comes.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I found it a bit strange that they spent a while talking about why Insula Primalis isn't scientifically accurate and follows Jurassic Park/"Rule of Cool" rules, but tried very hard to gloss over the fact that Magmaria makes absolutely no sense from a geological/thermodynamic perspective and tried to explain it instead.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

Probably has more to due with the inspiration behind them I’d guess.  

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Also, since nobody else mentioned it, did anyone else pick-up the strange sound around an hout and 15-18 minutes in? I think they were trying to edit Adam's voice to sound like the 'Brain-in-a-Jar' version of Hi-Brow, but the timing was possibly messed up...

dprcooke
dprcooke's picture
Playtester

Phantom5613 wrote:

Also, since nobody else mentioned it, did anyone else pick-up the strange sound around an hout and 15-18 minutes in? I think they were trying to edit Adam's voice to sound like the 'Brain-in-a-Jar' version of Hi-Brow, but the timing was possibly messed up...

I did catch that, and was curious about it.  Maybe Trevor just decided to have some fun?

Also, on the feathers-vs-no-feathers front:

Source: XKCD

cnranger

padcurtin wrote:

Ceres and Pluto have a lot in common. They both are the first of their kind discovered. They both were classified as planets for over fifty years. They both are dwarf planets now .

What they are classified as doesn't change what they are in my heart.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

cnranger wrote:

padcurtin wrote:

cnranger understands ;_;

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Don't forget Pallas! Also once a planet, now a dwarf planet.

Fun fact: in the planetary science community, it's fairly common to use the word "planet" to refer to just about anything rocky and round-ish. Earth, Earth's Moon, Europa, Pluto, Ceres, Hyperion, Vesta, ... whatever. Jupiter and Saturn are "gas giants," Uranus and Neptune are often "ice giants."

Ehkrickor
Ehkrickor's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

cnranger wrote:
 padcurtin wrote:

cnranger understands ;_;

Pluto is part of my solar family

Ohana means family, Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.

I love how there is just a whole generation of people who take Pluto's reclassification Very personally

cnranger