The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ep 48 of The Letters Page discussion- Cosmic Settings

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
Ep 48 of The Letters Page discussion- Cosmic Settings

My God, this podcast is full of stars.

Here

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

And half of them have coffee 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Oh hey, I have a question answered this episode! I forgot about it entirely!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000

Well I have a question for the Tempest episode which I feel is getting more and more hyped.    I just hope that one doesn’t disappoint.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I don't think any of them HAVE, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, for the record, I LOVE the longer episodes. The way I see it, the more content, the better.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000

McBehrer wrote:

I don't think any of them HAVE, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I still feel the Setback episode was underwhelming as they cut his story overview rather short.  

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

I wrote in letters as The Cult of Gloom, Omnitron P.I., the Dok’Thorath Tourism Board, and An Angry Taxpayer. One for each enviroment.

They read the best one, I think. Just goes to show you can never tell what will make it on air. Great episode.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

cnranger

I agree! The longer the podcast, the more commutes I can enjoy far more than I should.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Wait, you're Cult of Gloom AND Omnitron P.I.?

-- Trajector

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Yes, among some other less noteable letter writing names.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Yay, both my letters got in! Though they skipped the bit where I ask about the Mars base's name (I'd thought it was a reference to Wagner of 'Ride of the Valkyries' fame).

Also LOLed at Adam's "Nah, I'm just gonna watch him burn."

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

We need more letters from An Angry Taxpayer. :D

It was good to get some more in-depth news on the Endlings. That's still probably my favorite environment ever, it's just got so much personality.

Also, to celebrate Adam's recovery from his Doom Sickness, this happened.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

Cult of Gloom wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

My whole world has come falling down.  

Also its worth noting that they didn't do the hiding of non-Greater than Games property names or people this time.

Mentioned both D&D and Jack Kirby without anything silly.  

Powerhound_2000

I’m sure it’ll come back. 

The Burning Stickman

Nilus wrote:

Cult of Gloom wrote:
 McBehrer wrote:

My whole world has come falling down.  Also its worth noting that they didn't do the hiding of non-Greater than Games property names or people this time.Mentioned both D&D and Jack Kirby without anything silly.  

And Stan Lee.

I think it's because of how directly an homage to Jack Kirby the Enclave is. Like, other stuff is referenced or shouted-out to in a joking way, but I get the sense that the Enclave is more of a direct love-letter to his art.

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Who's to say that Jack Kirby and Stan Lee weren't working for Sentinel Comics in that universe?

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

We need more letters from An Angry Taxpayer. 

Now look here pal, I aint got time to be flapping my gums about what those bozos in the long underwear get up to while driving up insurance rates. Or about how those two pencil necked geeks got the numbering wrong on their flimsey funny books that they print in China. 

Though Archie Bunker in the Sentinels universe is funny to me, so maybe

Blackfang108
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Dear sweet entropy, I hope not.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

There were more non-shm'd references than just that! They're slipping! D: The trademark police will get them!

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Did we know the red skin means mutant thing , the way C & A reacted it felt like it was common information. I had noticed that the red skinned thorathians seemed to be in charge, ( that fact is party of a theory I have about Skyscraper that I fear) which is why I asked about a caste system.

Sapienta potentia est

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I don't recall ever hearing it before. We've really only seen a handful of Thorathians, of which, what, four? Are red-skinned. (Voss, Sky-Scraper, Tamar? and the lady from the environment military card.)

The Burning Stickman

They have mentioned before that some Thorathians, like Portja and Voss, are mutants with powers, but I don't recall them specifically mentioning red skin.

Powerhound_2000

Blackfang108 wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Are you a new listener?   Some jokes may drop for a bit but they always seem to come back.  

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

Blackfang108 wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Dear Lord of Order,  let this joke be reborn!

Seriosuoy don’t get why it gets so much hate. It’s silly and stupid but not like it eats up 90% of the episode.   I know some people really don’t like all the metajoke questions from the likes of the Cult of Gloom and such but I think the podcast would be a lot less entertaining without it 

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I liked the joke back when they were more creative in how they altered the brand names. Even Denny's and IHIP was still pretty entertaining.

As for the Thorathian deal, for me it was more a feeling of oh yeah, there really isn't a reason why humans should be the only species in the galaxy to have races. (Or racism, for that matter.)

Interesting that it means Sky-Scraper may effectively be a Defector from Decadence, though, to borrow the TV Tropes term.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Nilus wrote:

Blackfang108 wrote:
 Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Dear Lord of Order,  let this joke be reborn! Seriosuoy don’t get why it gets so much hate. It’s silly and stupid but not like it eats up 90% of the episode.   I know some people really don’t like all the metajoke questions from the likes of the Cult of Gloom and such but I think the podcast would be a lot less entertaining without it 

And the Metajoke stuff hit its peak when someone sent in a letter with an entire page of "not related to SotM metagag" preceeding the actual question.

The "OMG, can't say a name" was slightly amusing at first (and yes, IHIP and Lennys still are), but the "Smoctor Schmoo" shenanagins often makes it hard to tell what they're even referring to.  And it's a little jarring, because there's no actual reason for it.

Powerhound_2000

I’d rather let them do their schtick and I’m sure the silly trademark obscuring will come back up.   As to Smoctor Schmoo specifically that one is on Matchstickman.  

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

Jeysie wrote:

Interesting that it means Sky-Scraper may effectively be a Defector from Decadence, though, to borrow the TV Tropes term.

That's what I thought that Skyscraper was a member of the dominant red skinned thorathians who joined the resistance. But that's not necessarily true now, the resistance could have bred her and trained her from birth to work for them

Sapienta potentia est

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

Jeysie wrote:

I liked the joke back when they were more creative in how they altered the brand names. Even Denny's and IHIP was still pretty entertaining.

Amen. Although I don't mind and actually enjoy Shmoctor Shmoo and the like, my favorites were back in the days of Toditos and Tony Bobbins. And probably other one that didn't start with T.

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I’d rather let them do their schtick and I’m sure the silly trademark obscuring will come back up.   As to Smoctor Schmoo specifically that one is on Matchstickman.  

I didn't do it alone, I had help from a typo.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

This episode had a feel of listening in on a late-night college discussion. Especially the bit debating what is an Endling and how does Jansa pick. But also the justification for space exploration stuff. Speaking as someone in the space industry, Christopher, trying to justify space exploration with more exploration is a losing proposition! Unfortunately, I don't have a winning strategy, either.

Wagner Base sounds to me a lot like McMurdo Station in Antarctica. I would love for us to have something like that!

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

This episode had a feel of listening in on a late-night college discussion. Especially the bit debating what is an Endling and how does Jansa pick. But also the justification for space exploration stuff. Speaking as someone in the space industry, Christopher, trying to justify space exploration with more exploration is a losing proposition! Unfortunately, I don't have a winning strategy, either.

Wagner Base sounds to me a lot like McMurdo Station in Antarctica. I would love for us to have something like that!

I do want to make clear, as the person who wrote the angry taxpayer letter, i am all for space exploration and do buy into it.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

I enjoy when they talk to each other about how their world works. It give insight on they make stuff up and what their might set is when they create things. It also show that the creator doesn't always agree on things and end up coming to a middle ground. I need to relisiten to the letter page. I am starting to forget details about it.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Ehkrickor
Ehkrickor's picture

Trajector wrote:

There is a picture from (i think) Antartica where a Penguin calmly walks up to a group of scientists and asks to science and If that image alone doesn't justify the exploritory station nothing will,

Oop, Found some Sauce, not a lot of factual information but it is, to quote my cousin, "Totes Adorbs."