The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ep 47 of The Letters Page discussion- Cosmic Contest & Contest winner

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
In the Question section they do describe the environment they fight in.  As to the agreement part it doesn’t seem like any hero or villain necessarily agrees to this they were just forced into it.  

I hate to say it, but that's a little lame then.  They're saying that Legacy agreed to beat the tar out of another hero just because a space alien told him to, with no other motivation than that?  I don't think I'll bother to listen through to the end of this one. :(

They do actually talk about Legacy trying to be reassuring to his first round opponet that this is strange circumstances they have been thrown into and they must fight but he still respects her....

And then Fanatic hits him right in the face cause she is fine with this circumstance.

So people do react differently to the cirsumstances, the Chairman trying to bow out gracefully is another example.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Spiff wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
In the Question section they do describe the environment they fight in.  As to the agreement part it doesn’t seem like any hero or villain necessarily agrees to this they were just forced into it.  

I hate to say it, but that's a little lame then.  They're saying that Legacy agreed to beat the tar out of another hero just because a space alien told him to, with no other motivation than that?  I don't think I'll bother to listen through to the end of this one. :(

They don’t ever fully explain the motivations as to how they got various villains and heroes to participate.   That just seems like they got forced to.  I have a question on that for the Editor’s Note.  I will say it’s worthwhile to listen to the end though even not knowing the motivations. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

When a being with the power to whisk people from which ever reality they are in to another place billions of lightyears from their relative places of residence tells you to fight so one of you can become "Champion of Earth", you say yes!

And man, I really wanted Blade to win and then go "What need have I for your gifts? I already proved I can survive anything."

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I'm listening to the podcast again, and there is something that I don't think I caught. What was the battleground like? The environment? Was i ana lien planet? a city? an arena? I'm doing my best to picture this. 

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

From WalkingTarget’s notes:

Quote:
  • What's the environmental setup? The environments are all sort of an "empty ruin planet" - an arena that Jansa set up just for this. There's lots of varied terrain and cover available, but the environment itself isn't throwing in any twists to affect the outcome.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

The Environment description is early on in the Questions section at the end. My notes for it are thus:

"The environments are all sort of an "empty ruin planet" - an arena that Jansa set up just for this. There's lots of varied terrain and cover available, but the environment itself isn't throwing in any twists to affect the outcome."

I got an urban feel from some descriptions and rural from others, so I think it's kind of a "whatever would look cooler for that fight" situation.

Edit - and ninja'd in quoting myself by Powerhound/Sonvar. Par for the course, really.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Thanks!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

The Almighty Weasel
The Almighty Weasel's picture

Blade was ROBBED! ROBBED, I tell you!

It hadn't really occurred to me until this episode just how many ultra-powerful characters there are in the Multiverse. Characters where Christopher and Adam tell us, "Seriously you guys, X is so powerful, you don't even know." I'd have been tempted to pick Haka for the win because of the statements in his episode that it took plot devices to stop him just showing up and solving major events in the comics. But then I recalled that Progeny took out the entire Prime Wardens team handily. Then Citizen Dawn beats Progeny, and Fanatic beats Haka, and...

The Cosmic Contest is the best sort of 'who would win in a fight' discussion. It gives a lot of interesting 'what if?' confrontations, but doesn't give us an ultimate answer of who's the 'best' character, because each fight was so situational. We can all hang onto our favourites, and agree that the Nightmist writers need someone to take them off to one side and have a quiet word about making everyone else look bad. :P

Ceterum, censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The Almighty Weasel wrote:

We can all hang onto our favourites,

I can't speak for anyone else, but whether I like a character or not has pretty much everything to do with their personality and the concept of their powers and very little to do with their actual power level or who they can beat in a fight.

(Which is why I was amused with this whole deal instead of irritated, because it never made that sort of judgment that a less powerful character is a "bad" character.)

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:

We can all hang onto our favourites,

I can't speak for anyone else, but whether I like a character or not has pretty much everything to do with their personality and the concept of their powers and very little to do with their actual power level or who they can beat in a fight.(Which is why I was amused with this whole deal instead of irritated, because it never made that sort of judgment that a less powerful character is a "bad" character.)

This is especially true when we are talking about comic book characters who’s “power levels” vary drastically depending on writer.  

If someone honestly says “I’m not going to play XYZ ever again because they lost the Cosmic Contest” then I suspect they are missing the whole silly point of this event.  

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Nilus wrote:

If someone honestly says “I’m not going to play XYZ ever again because they lost the Cosmic Contest” then I suspect they are missing the whole silly point of this event.  

Yeah, one of the things I like about the Sentinels fandom is that we're usually pretty cool about not bashing each other's choice of favorites.

But, ugh, so many geek fandoms where I've very definitely seen people bashing each other's faves for being "weak" characters in some way, which definitely tends to come out of the woodwork particularly in "who'd win against who" type discussions.

Which is disappointing because discussing the weird ways various powers interact with each other is otherwise pretty intellectually entertaining.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

We can all hang onto our favourites, and agree that the Nightmist writers need someone to take them off to one side and have a quiet word about making everyone else look bad. :P

In all honesty, I'd agree with how things went for Nightmist. She dealt with threas quickly and concisely, but most of all she handled them 'believably'.

I just wish AA was in his right mind when they fought. That would have been quite the battle, I bet.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Now that I've finally finished this very entertaining episode, I think the biggest surprise was this:

They thought the puzzle hunt would last FIVE YEARS?!

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

I think it was more that the demand was there with sales strong enough to fund things at a much faster rate than they expected; Vengeance got funded essentially as a stretch goal, for one thing. 

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, they kind of turbo-accelerated the expansions. It went from one every year or two to one every ~9 months.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

WOOOO NIghtMIst Won!, I guess one person right all the way, wish I been a bit more serious with the rest.

We have to note that we didn't have all the information. We didn't know Lifeline is Countess's Thrall (I still rooted for the Countess), Progeny was powered so Dawn got powered up. Dawn can absorb dragon Fire but not Holy Light.

I want to remind people that anything Apostate can do Fanatic can do, even if she is not aware of it. Fanatics is very competitive, I would hate to play the board game Sorry with her.

And you guys leave Parse alone. I liked her before but now she is in my top 3 heroes, even if I don't enjoy her deck all that much. My take on her vs Unity is "I don't wanna hurt you and this is the fastest resolution for this battle. You are not in a place to carry on". I am now super pumped for the Parse episode, Need to form my question now.

Sie note: I love the SC writer world. I give C&A lots of wiggle room to be wrong and shows they have a lot of love for comic books. I am sure if a different writer would have let different people win. We also know the Terminarc can pull people banish form time and from deep inside a sun but not the realm of discord. (Poor BB)

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Pages