The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Envisioner's Thoughts on... Society? Or something?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Envisioner
Envisioner's picture
Envisioner's Thoughts on... Society? Or something?

Phantom5613 wrote:

Boy, this sure is a fun card game, huh?
(Nervously trying to change the subject...)

Were we still in the original thread, maybe that'd be a reasonable thing to do.  But the whole point of >G splitting this thread off, as opposed to my deleting the off-topic posts, would appear to be that they consider me entitled to my opinion, and just wanted to get it out of the place where it was off-topic.  I'm a big believer in having conversations moved to more appropriate fora (as long as everyone's links take them there so they don't lose track of their communications).  So if people want to talk about "suspension of disbelief and comic book storylines", this is a place set aside for doing that, and if they don't want to, then the thread can fall dormant until someone does.  If you wish to discuss a different subject, there is doubtlessly a different thread where you can most effectively do so.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Envisioner wrote:

Phantom5613 wrote:

Boy, this sure is a fun card game, huh?(Nervously trying to change the subject...)

Were we still in the original thread, maybe that'd be a reasonable thing to do.  But the whole point of >G splitting this thread off, as opposed to my deleting the off-topic posts, would appear to be that they consider me entitled to my opinion, and just wanted to get it out of the place where it was off-topic.  I'm a big believer in having conversations moved to more appropriate fora (as long as everyone's links take them there so they don't lose track of their communications).  So if people want to talk about "suspension of disbelief and comic book storylines", this is a place set aside for doing that, and if they don't want to, then the thread can fall dormant until someone does.  If you wish to discuss a different subject, there is doubtlessly a different thread where you can most effectively do so.

You kind of already steered it off topic with this 'society lesson' you're giving us, though. :/
Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

That was before the split.  For whatever reason, when >G was splitting, they chose not to split it twice and make an "Envisioner's thoughts on social progressiveness" topic.  Thusly, the topic of this thread remains a little broad; it starts with discussion of why I have trouble with Omnitron in Silver Gulch (though someone actually solved that one to my satisfaction; I now have more of a problem with him being in the Realm of Discord, since you'd think scientific laws necessary for a machine to operate would break down a bit in there), but then kinda expanded outward into why I felt that way, and then to my beliefs in general.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I don't even know what the topic under discussion is anymore, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I don't either, but I'm glad Envisioner has a soapbox that's not cluttering up other threads :D

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Well, kinda the whole point of soapboxes IRL was that you could put one down anywhere you happened to be, stand up on it and start lecturing.  And this is still done with stepladders and such, albeit usually only by religious extremists.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Envisioner wrote:

And this is still done with stepladders and such

I found this very funny for some odd reason. Made me chuckle. Carry on sir.