The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Elevation, AoE, and other Range questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
danmarshall14
danmarshall14's picture
Elevation, AoE, and other Range questions

After a few quick rounds of Tactics last night, a little confusion was had regarding Range checks and AoE.  This is what I understand from the rulebook; I guess I'm looking for confirmation/clarification:

• Melee attacks still count range for the attack, but can still trigger as long as you're in an Adjacent Hex.  If Legacy is standing on an 4 Tall building and Baron Blade is standing on the 1 Tall street in an Adjacent Hex, BB can still make a Melee attack on Legacy.  However, non-Automiss dice still only hit on 4 or more, since the elevation creates a range of 4.
  • an Origin for an attack must have Line of Sight from the source, but ignore elevation when counting Range for that Origin.  The Radius of that attack, however, does not ignore elevation.
  • AoE attacks must have Line of Sight from the Origin in order to hit.  AoE attacks also check for Range from the Origin.
  • A Hazard Space must have Line of Sight from the source in order to trigger.  However, elevation/range is not mentioned; do you still measure range and elevation when making a Hazard attack?  Or is the range considered 0 since the character is literally stepping on the origin of the attack?  For instance, Ra's Blazing Tornado generates Hazard spaces in a radius 1.  If an enemy triggers a Hazard space, is the origin of the attack considered the Hex they are stepping on?  Or is the origin (and therefore Range) measured from the source (the Tornado)?
  • Vertex attacks; I'm assuming this act exactly like AoE attacks (checking for range from the Origin)
  • Reach is basically negative Range in your favor.  If you're at Range 8 for an attack, but have a Reach of 3, you're treating it as if it were a Range 5, correct?

Random question:

• Citizen Dawn's Devastating Aurora.  It says it immediately incaps all enemy targets within Radius 4, which seems a little ridiculous.  I assume that like other Radius attacks, elevation affects the range.  Even so, Citizen dawn could essentially end a Skirmish with a OHKO on everyone?  It also says "This incaps don't count towards scenario bonuses," am I supposed to take that it doesn't count as an "Incap" for skirmish purposes as well?  Perhaps it only exists as a huge Push attack and to clear the enemy's board of Tokens/Powers?  Am I overthinking how overpowered this attack seems?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Melee is correct.

Origin is correct.

Aoe is correct.

Range is calculated from the object that is creating the hazard space, and elevation counts.  Turret bot needs line of sight, and if he's firing up 2 levels and out 2 hexes that's a range of 4.  If Impaling Structure triggers you are standing on it, and the range is 0, because the structure creates the hazard.

Vertex, yes it works the same.

Yes, that is how reach works.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

danmarshall14 wrote:

am I supposed to take that it doesn't count as an "Incap" for skirmish purposes as well?  Perhaps it only exists as a huge Push attack and to clear the enemy's board of Tokens/Powers? 

This is how Devastating Aurora should be taken.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Also, Radius DOES ignore elevation, but calculating range does not. Got those mixed around.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It basically resets them.

It is insanely powerful.  The incapping effect actually weakens the effect, because you can't be attacked before your turn.

We normally limit Aurora to once per skirmish instead of once per incap for Dawn, otherwise she's just too powerful.