The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Effects from Defeated Heroes?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
BaloTheJester
BaloTheJester's picture
Effects from Defeated Heroes?

Hi all,

I couldn't find a clear statement about this in the rulebook, and it only seems to apply in one or two weird corner cases, but I wanted to double-check: If a hero is defeated while they are producing some sort of ongoing (not necessarily Ongoing) effect, when does that effect end?

Example: Ra, Mr. Fixer, Haka, and Legacy (turns taken in that order) are all fighting Grand Warlord Voss. Legacy has only 1 HP remaining.

On Legacy's turn, he uses Galvanize during his Power Phase.

The environment turn passes without any damage being dealt, then on Voss's turn, he does 2 damage to the hero with the lowest HP, thus defeating Legacy.

All of Legacy's cards immediately get destroyed, and his Character Card gets flipped.  But, do Ra, Mr. Fixer, and Haka all get to do +1 damage on their turns from the Galvanize, or does Legacy's Galvanize fade as soon as he's defeated?

I'm unclear on what should happen here. Legacy's Character Card did not go out of play, and this is one of a very, very few cards that have a persistent effect that would at all logically persist beyond the life of the card. (I actually can't think of any others, but want to cover all angles).

“We've always known we'd eventually be called upon to open our shirts and save the day, and the superhero was a crude, hopeful attempt to talk about how we all might feel on that day of great power, and great responsibility.”
- Grant Morrison

awp832
Playtester

It depends.  If it is a card that is in play, such as Inspiring Presence, the card is destroyed and its effects canceled.

However, in the case of Galvanize, which is something that lasts until Legacy's next turn,  or otherwise isn't reliant on a card actually being in play..  the effects would be maintained.  Heroic Interception works the same way currently, as does Take Down.  although I believe those are set to be changed in the Enhanced Edition.  Other cards that could work this way are Hypersonic Assault, Ground Pound, and Adhesive Foam Grenade.

Legacy still gets his turn,  he's not out of the game,  its just that his options are much more limited.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""