The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Editor’s Note #11 of the Letters Page discussion

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations
Editor’s Note #11 of the Letters Page discussion

Editor’s note #11

http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/editors-note-11

Upcoming Schedule:

• November 7th: Spite
  • November 14th: Urban Settings
  • November 21st: Blood Magic
  • November 28th: Biomancer
  • November 30th: Editor's Note #12

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Aw man! I've not even listened to Guise's episode yet. This is why I stopped reading comics, I kept falling behind!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Yessssss, I finally get my Biomancer ep, I am way more excited than is probably healthy for this development.

And it seems this is kind of a freaky month in general. No Prime Wardens, the long-missing episode on Spite, and an episode on Blood Magic which I wasn't expecting but sounds really interesting now that it's out there.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

And now that I've actually listened to it:

I would totally listen to a "Heartbreaker and Equity Kill the Sentinels Universe" episode, FYI. Like it would honestly be rather fascinatingly interesting. Stop looking at me like that.

I love that Sentinels of the Ninth is a thing that actually happened in actual comics canon just because of the quantity of super serious characters talked into it and how goofy some of the cards are.

Full disclosure (explanation?): I was actually the other person that SpectralTime talked to regards the Fanatic thing over Reddit. He actually suggested that I send in the letter, but I basically said that I felt more disappointed than actually critical, so I didn't feel like it was a thing I wanted to do. And his letter went in a somewhat different direction anyway that was probably more interesting than what I would have had to say.

You think I'd be going against the spirit of the whole Cosmic Contest... er... contest if I made a thread about it? Like I know we're all supposed to individually guess rather than crowdsource, but an actual endorsement of "who would beat up who in a fight" thinking seems like too juicy a discussion topic to pass up.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Powerhound_2000

I already posted my set for Cosmic Contest to them and no I did not choose Guise as the winner.   The hardest one for me to nail down on where they’d lose is Progeny to me.   He basically wrecks all the hero teams once before finally being taken down on what was at least the third major fight with him. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

So was Comic Contest a Popularity Contest? Where the winner is picked by the reader. Much like the 1996 Dc vs Marvel. Where Wolverine won Vs the Best man Lobo. . . And my  Jubilee lost to Robin. 

So is this is a gauge of power. I want to win, but I think I am happier just magic NightMist and La Capitan fight and make NightMIst win. Hmm I can't wait for all the arguments about who should have won. . .

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

speedyolrac wrote:

So was Comic Contest a Popularity Contest? Where the winner is picked by the reader. Much like the 1996 Dc vs Marvel. Where Wolverine won Vs the Best man Lobo. . . And my  Jubilee lost to Robin. So is this is a gauge of power.

Depending on the Robin though, that sounds like the correct outcome.

And it was Wolverine in the 90's. No one was gonna beat him when it comes to popularity.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Phantom5613 wrote:

speedyolrac wrote:
So was Comic Contest a Popularity Contest? Where the winner is picked by the reader. Much like the 1996 Dc vs Marvel. Where Wolverine won Vs the Best man Lobo. . . And my  Jubilee lost to Robin. So is this is a gauge of power.

Depending on the Robin though, that sounds like the correct outcome.And it was Wolverine in the 90's. No one was gonna beat him when it comes to popularity.

I remember that issue, and I'm 99% sure it was Tim. Robin won through stealth and trickery -- he ends up getting her tied up and immobilized in his cape and the two of them agree this counts as him winning. Neither of them seemed too interested in actually fighting, and they start making out as soon as the fight's over.
RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

mwc146 wrote:

Neither of them seemed too interested in actually fighting

This is the biggest question to me. Some characters are... less than motivated to fight, unless specifically threatened or encouraged to do so. Frankly, I'm not sure Zhu Long would make it out of the first round, as they're generally not the one to go all in and fight for the sake of it.

I'm hoping they'll take some questions about specific rules, because otherwise "winning" in each round could look very different.

specifically, can we assume:

A) Each character has sufficent motivation to fight and be declared the victor in each match.

A-1)Characters have no reason to collude to "throw" matches in order to set up specific advantages for allies.

B) This is a no-kill tourney(no extra advantage for Haka, etc.).

B-1) Knock-outs and Tap-outs are the only real cause for elimination

C) Characters are limited by some arbitrary contraints placed upon them by Jansa.

C-1)Characters with underlings(Chairman, Kaargra) are limited to fighting alone.

C-2)Characters are constrained to some spatial boundaries

C-3)Characters must fight with whatever they had on hand when summoned, or what Jansa decides is worth bringing along to accurately evaluate their abilities.

Sure, a no-rules scenario sounds good, but that essentially means the fights are pointless, as "story reasons" can dictate the outcome of any given match. Now if they're asking us to predict the actual story outcome of the Cosmic Contest event, that's a slightly different matter...

"But dice are dice, and Dice are Fickle"

Internet Pseudonyms: PseudonymTwitch, PseudonymTweetr, PseudonymGamer

Powerhound_2000

They are asking us to guess the story outcome and I sincerely doubt we are going to get much more information.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I don't think I have anything to add that I didn't already freak out about in the Cosmic Contest thread, except I wanted SpectralTime to know he is not a loser. :C

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I am so pleased that my pirate limerick made it in!

I admit that it was a bit strained, but I'm very proud of it nonetheless.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I love how Revenant always had the Revocorp sign on his suit and no one commented. That's so great.

Honestly, the Cosmic Contest is super exciting for me. I was hoping we'd have a thread about it because I'd love to discuss some of the more interesting match-ups that they give us.

I do wonder about how "legal" it is to discuss before posting your own guess. Nothing really prevents it, but if we end up with 20 people who guessed correctly that might strain things for the Team.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Chaosmancer wrote:
 if we end up with 20 people who guessed correctly that might strain things for the Team.

They said that in the case of multiple correct guesses they would do a lottery.  There will be only one winner regardless.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Chaosmancer wrote:

Honestly, the Cosmic Contest is super exciting for me. I was hoping we'd have a thread about it because I'd love to discuss some of the more interesting match-ups that they give us.

You're in luck. https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/the-cosmic-contest-aka-who-would-win-in-a-fight-against-who-10844