The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Duplicate Powers

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
drevilz4l
drevilz4l's picture
Playtester
Duplicate Powers

During a game we played last weekend, a friend of mine was playing as Tempest. He had 2 copies of one of his power cards down (I believe it healed 2 hp). If you have 2 copies of the same power down ( and obviously if its not a limited), will it increase the effect of the power (heal 4 hp instead of 2)?

We thought that may be the case, as being able to play more than 2 of the same card would be completely pointless otherwise ,unless you happen to have one of the Heroes that can use more than 1 power, which I believe tempest cannot.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

If the card is not limited, you can have multiple copies played.  You are still limited to one power per turn, and thus you can only choose one of those two to use.  If you have the ability to use more than one power per turn, I'm not sure what would happen.  The rules state that the same power cannot be used more than once per turn, so it depends on if a power with the same wording counts as being the same power or not.  In one case, having multiple cards of the same name will still only allow the power to be used once; in the other case, having multiple cards of the same name will allow the power to be used as many times as you have cards (limited by the amount of powers you can use per turn).

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

The Conscience
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:
If the card is not limited, you can have multiple copies played.  You are still limited to one power per turn, and thus you can only choose one of those two to use.  If you have the ability to use more than one power per turn, I'm not sure what would happen.  The rules state that the same power cannot be used more than once per turn, so it depends on if a power with the same wording counts as being the same power or not.  In one case, having multiple cards of the same name will still only allow the power to be used once; in the other case, having multiple cards of the same name will allow the power to be used as many times as you have cards (limited by the amount of powers you can use per turn).

Personally I am of the second camp that each card represents one use of the power and allows multiple uses limited by the number of powers you can use per turn.

I believe that the rules are restricting a power printed on a card can only be used once per turn not one copy of a card with the same power can be used per turn.

The Myth, The Legend, The Dream. You can't escape The Conscience!

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I tend to feel this way as well.  Though, you do remember the last time we both agreed on the way a ruling should be applied, right?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

The Conscience
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:
I tend to feel this way as well.  Though, you do remember the last time we both agreed on the way a ruling should be applied, right?

That I do and then that universe ended. So here we are again on the brink of ending yet another universe. :P

The Myth, The Legend, The Dream. You can't escape The Conscience!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

No universes will end this time I promise :)

If you have two copies of Cleansing Downpour in play (which, incidentally, reads "Power: Each Hero regains 2 HP."), you can use either "instance" of the power on your power phase, but in either case, the power will simply work as written (i.e., each hero will regain 2 HP).  If for any reason you can use an additional power on your turn, you may opt to use both "instances" of the power on Cleansing Downpour since they come from different distinct cards.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

drevilz4l
drevilz4l's picture
Playtester

Thanks for that answers all. Know that the world is now safer because of it.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Paul wrote:
No universes will end this time I promise :)

If you have two copies of Cleansing Downpour in play (which, incidentally, reads "Power: Each Hero regains 2 HP."), you can use either "instance" of the power on your power phase, but in either case, the power will simply work as written (i.e., each hero will regain 2 HP).  If for any reason you can use an additional power on your turn, you may opt to use both "instances" of the power on Cleansing Downpour since they come from different distinct cards.

Add to Official Rulings?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel