The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Dream Team?

70 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

SeriouslyBryan wrote:

Along these lines, is there a reference that might help me organize my deck into types? damage dealers, tanks, healers, suport, etc?

Not really, mostly because a lot of heroes can play two or three roles easily.  

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

SeriouslyBryan wrote:

Along these lines, is there a reference that might help me organize my deck into types? damage dealers, tanks, healers, suport, etc?I recently accidentally put together a team that was 4 support characters, and I was slaughtered! It was amazing how innefective I was even with a zillion cards.  I definitely want to try out some of the teams suggested here!

Yes, such a reference does exist but unfortunately it's in the form of a small piece of scrap paper currently crumpled up in a side pocket of my briefcase. I just used my whole lunch break on a very long failed attempt at unlocking Freedom 5 Bunker, but I'll try to type it up and post it after I get out of work.
carnilius
Playtester

SeriouslyBryan wrote:

I recently accidentally put together a team that was 4 support characters, and I was slaughtered! It was amazing how innefective I was even with a zillion cards.  

I'm curious who was on your team.  I can't think of any team of 4 that would be ineffective.

SeriouslyBryan
SeriouslyBryan's picture

carnilius wrote:

SeriouslyBryan wrote:
I recently accidentally put together a team that was 4 support characters, and I was slaughtered! It was amazing how innefective I was even with a zillion cards.  

I'm curious who was on your team.  I can't think of any team of 4 that would be ineffective.

I was running Captain Cosmic, Fanatic, Naturalist, and Wraith Vs Gloomweaver in the Court of Blood. SO MANY zombies and vampires I was just overwhelmed.

I guess in hindsight they're not really support, but none of them could draw damage-dealing abilities worth a darn, and I just couldnt do enough damage to deal with that many Zombies, Cultists, and Vampires. Wraith, for example, could never get her knives into play, and I sem to recall most heroes not having Powers that dealt actual damage active in most hands, so I was relying on One-Shots. Fanatic got her powers shut down by a Court of Blood card and I really only started making headway when Wraith was Incapped.

I have seen and Naturalist do amazingly well, and Captain Cosmic is one of my favorites. It's entirely possible this was just an awful shuffle/draw, or a particularly poor choice of lineup for that threat, as my next game i destroyed Gloomweaver handily in The Block.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

That sounds like just amazingly bad luck.  Fanatic and Wraith both could have destroyed Unhallowed Halls, Wraith and Naturalist usually have massive damage potential, especially with Captain Cosmic, and while none of them have consistent mass damage, they have a fair number of options that could have cleared the field without too much difficulty.  And yeah, the only one of those I'd characterize as "support" is Captain Cosmic.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Yeah, CC is definitely support, the others are jacks (or jills) of all trades. You must have had abysmal luck for Wraith not to draw anything useful.

The best "Team Support" I've played is Legacy, Argent Adept and Captain Cosmic. They take a little while to get going, but between Legacy's buffs, AA's songs and CC's constructs, the team can go nuts.

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

For me, I'd have to say:

• Freedom Five Legacy (Overwatch)
  • Freedom Six Tachyon (Team Leader)
  • Dark Visionary (Turmoil)
  • Scholar (Better Living)
  • The Wraith (Stealth)

There's a bit of everything here; ongoing/environment removal, healing, draw power, it's an overall very powerful team, and I find they combo really well together too. Wraith is great at multihits, which really benefit from Inspiring Presence and Twist the Ether. Everyone loves F6 Tachyon, but none more than Scholar who can easily tank by keeping all three Flesh To Iron cards out at once, or Legacy can handle it with a combination of Lead From the Front and Next Evolution. F5 Legacy keeps the environment from being a problem, letting Tachyon and Wraith to save their destruction cards for enemy ongoings. Tachyon and Wraith are both amazing at dealing damage (and Legacy and the Scholar are decent at it). And finally there's the ability to stack the deck with Wraith and Visionary.

doppelgangerung
doppelgangerung's picture

I've been playing a team that seems to beat everyone pretty reliably:

AA
XPW Haka
Greatest Legacy
Scholar of the Infinite
Visionary

There are a couple of combos that allow the team to virtually ignore damage, decent damage (unless the villain or environment has lots of minions, in which case the damage potential is just nuts) and ongoing/environment control coming and going.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

My dream team starts with Argent Adept, no questions asked. Team Leader Tachyon and Legacy (vanilla) are usually in there too.

I'll take 1-3 of the following, depending circumstances:

KNYFE or Chrono-Ranger for damage, NightMist for utility, PW Haka, The Sentinels, or Hunted Naturalist for tanking (although this spot will be taken by someone else once ObliVAeon comes out), and Parse or Dark Visionary for villain control.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

doppelgangerung
doppelgangerung's picture

Update: i switched to original Legacy and dropped The Scholar and Visionary in favor of FF Tachyon and XPW CC - both build up pretty quickly to do serious damage with Legacy's buffs in play, and add out-of-turn power use and card draws - i gave up some villain deck control, but so far haven't missed it, though once i pick up the Season 2 pass i might sub in Parse for AA and see how that plays

Wolf Is Jasper
Wolf Is Jasper's picture

I only really play as 5 heroes and I can play 3 of them really well, Setback, Tempest, and The Argent Adept (I'm a little worse as Argent Adept because I started playing as him last, though). The fourth one I usually play as is Expatriette. I'm not as skilled as I am at her than the other three, since I usually play with my sister and her favorite is Expatriette, but I've been able to figure her out from watching my sister. I also like Unity, but she's not in my dream team because using Expatriette and Unity together is not a good idea for me, and I have played as Expatriette more than her. Sorry Unity! Anyway, I can use The Argent Adept as a healer, Tempest and Expatriette as damage dealers, and possibly Setback as a tank, but you never really know how it's gonna turn out playing as him. (Although I play him in every game I can so I know how to do what I want with him. I may be a little obsessed.) This is my dream team because I know how to play them all and that's simply it. Plus it has a healer, damage dealers, and a tank (probably). I'd go in this order-

Setback

Expatriette

Argent Adept

Tempest

Why? I just went by favorites to be honest. When I made this team I was like- "Let's use Setback and Expatriette... Need a healer, Argent Adept, okay, one more... Tempest! Perfect! It's worked out pretty well for me.

Sincerely, Wolf Is Jasper.

Physicswizzard

So I recently set myself a challenge to try and do all the villians in the video game on ultimate mode with one team.  I did each in a randomized environment and I just did all of the single villians (no teams) including the varients.  So my dream team was in order:

1) Grandpa Legacy - His ablilty to heal and give out powers was cruicial and Inpring Presnce was so useful.

2) Team Leader Tachyon - Her ability to give card plays to everyone was the idea I built this team around

3) Xtreme Prime Wardens Argent Adept - Extra card plays (to use the cards TLT gave) and extra powers.  Really ended up using his base power a lot on Scholar.

4) The Scholar (Non-Varient) - My single largest damage dealer.  I focused  on getting out and keeping out all 3 Mortal Forms to Energy and at least one Solid to Liquid.  This takes a lot of cards each turn which he had thanks to TLT making him draw and AA making him play things like "know when to hold fast" out of turn.  He took a lot of damage to heal a lot of damage to deal a lot of damage.

5) Nightmist - She and the scholar both use a lot of cards, but she can do other things (as well as a lot of damage).  Redirection, deck manipulation and ongoing destruction were quite useful.

With those 5 heros I was able to defeat most villians on ultimate the first try.  In fact there were only 6 villians I didn't defeat first try with that team.  Of those 6, 4 of them, The Ennead, Prodgeny, Heroic Infinitor, and Cosmic Omnitron just had such bad starts that after the first villian turn and looking at my starting hands I just restarted the game. After that I beat all of them on the second game.  Only 2 villians flat out beat me, I lost to Iron Legacy once before beating him on my second try, and in one of the stranger matchups I lost to Akash'Bhuda in (of all places) the Freedom 5 Tower.  It was a really strange circumstances, not the hardest villian what is usually the easiest environment but I had a really strange turn where the Tower randomly played Scholar's Alchemical Redirection on a turn when Akash ended up putting out a lot of limbs and just killed him.  After that I didn't have enough damage to get through her extreme hit points, and I never quite recovered.  Still that is kind of the fun of this game, the completly unexpected can happen.

Anyway it was a fun challege and let me play my dream team a bunch.  Anyone else ever done anything like this?

Physicswizzard

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I'm very curious how the games against the Ennead and Cosmic Omnitron played out. Those two are such juggernauts in Ultimate that I only beat them with teams tailored to counter them specifically.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I wonder about Miss Information moreso. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Physicswizzard

Cosmic Omnitron was a little more concerning, he had a lot of damage, but a fully set up scholar can do a ton of single target damage.  This one just became a race against time.  Also, I was able to redirect some of his componet damage back at him with Nightmist's amulet and he just didn't really stand much of a chance.

I was honestly quite worried before I played Miss Information, but the game itself was almost too easy.  Her ultimate form can get clues out fast and in my case she really did.  Then it was just a matter of healing Scholar to deal damage.  Miss information would hit him back, but that just made him have more damage to heal so he took her down quite quick.  I did have to use an extra solid to liquid as well as Legacy's inspiring presence to get through the damage reduction, but she doesn't really have that many hit points so once she flipped she really didn't survive that long.

The Ennead do have one weakness that I explioted quite well in that game.  They have no innate ablilties, only things that acitvate when their cards go into their trash.  A little deck control, with legacy's take down and nightmyst's mistbound do more against them than most villians.  I took damage for the first couple rounds, but then stopped card plays for about 4 rounds between those two cards and Argent Adept using Vernal Sonata to recycle them.  That breathing room was more than enough time to take a couple of them out and the rest became much more managable.  I will stress too I took Set out early too as the free card plays on his incapacitated side have little downside on Ultimate since each of the Ennead ablilties only trigger once. 

Physicswizzard

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Physicswizzard wrote:

was honestly quite worried before I played Miss Information, but the game itself was almost too easy.  Her ultimate form can get clues out fast and in my case she really did.  Then it was just a matter of healing Scholar to deal damage.  Miss information would hit him back, but that just made him have more damage to heal so he took her down quite quick.  I did have to use an extra solid to liquid as well as Legacy's inspiring presence to get through the damage reduction, but she doesn't really have that many hit points so once she flipped she really didn't survive that long.

She regularly has cards which destroy your hand or setup when allowed card plays and has DR 2 when flipped so I find it hard to believe that game wa easy.   Even with a few different teams setup specifically to counter a lot of what she does I still needed some luck to get what I needed out to control her.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Physicswizzard wrote:

Anyone else ever done anything like this? 

There's a thread for what I did somewhere ... went for complete victories (all heroes at full HP), but only on standard, not ultimate. Didn't restrict myself to a single team, rather choosing each team for the particular villain, although for the most part it was the same team each time. If I had to pick a single team it would be:

1. Team Leader Tachyon -- Possibly the most overpowered character in the game. Giving all other heroes so much card draw not only powers various effects, but perhaps more importantly gets everyone their best/most useful cards faster.
  2. GI-Legacy -- Gives you the ability to heal and/or allow the team as a whole to use whatever their best power at the moment is. Plus Take Down and Heroic Interception, in particular, are fantastic for shutting down villains.
  3. Fugue State Parse -- Many people like Parse for her ability to control villain decks and/or get through damage reduction, but for this scenario what I really loved about her was that in these long games, given all of her extra card plays and extra card draws, I could easily get her to the point where she had her whole deck in play or in her hand and she could hand out +30 damage bonuses based on discarding ten cards in a turn.
  4. Sacrifice Tempest -- By far the most important single card in this scenario is Cleansing Downpour. Sacrifice Tempest allows Tempest to dig for that card. Even after that Tempest provides some very powerful effects, notably Into the Stratosphere to slow down the villain and Reclaim from the Deep to partner with Scholar's Don't Dismiss anything to set up every hero to do something awesome.
  5. Scholar of the Infinite -- I use Scholar almost exclusively as a tank, focusing on multiple Flesh to Irons plus Alchemical Redirection. Using Scholar's variant that can do damage enables him to get the finishing blow in case he hasn't gotten out Truth Seeker yet.

Given the ability to switch anyone out, I'll replace Parse with Price of Freedom Wraith against Spite and Dark Visionary against Dawn. I might also take Dark Visionary against some other villains, like Grand Warlord Voss, who are particularly susceptible to deck management, and maybe also against Iron Legacy in the hopes that Visionary would get her ongoing destruction power into play.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I actually just managed a full-hp victory two nights ago, in about the weirdnest manner possible:  Argent Adept, Chrono-Ranger, Tempest, The Naturalist, and Dark Visionary vs. Akash-Bhuta in Freedom Tower.

It so happened that the first few cards A-B put out were zero-damage cards:  Disrupt the Field, her ongoing-destroying one, and an Entomb.  However, my starting hand ended up with an Into the Stratosphere and a Suggestion.  Since Freedom Tower wasn't giving her any additional card plays, I was effectively able to restrict A-B to playing the same Entomb card for three straight rounds...at which point, Argent Adept had picked up a Vernal Sonata, Tempest had grabbed a second Into the Stratosphere and a Reclaim from the Deep, and Visionary picked up a second Suggestion.

By round 4, A-B had yet to play a single limb card, was around half health, and hadn't dealt a single point of damage.  I shifted Naturalist into full-on damage dealing (originally having planned to tank in Rhino form), and dropped a Hunter and Hunted for Chrono-Ranger.  A-B didn't make it to round 6.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

A-B didn't make it to round 6.

Awesome!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Pages