The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Do better than me!

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Do better than me!

Absolute Zero, Ra, and Fanatic vs Omnitron in Insula Primalis.

I have lost this matchup four times in a row.

Somebody do better than me!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

There you go Andy, I have taken care of it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=361980626

Chromium_Man

I'm honestly not being sarcastic:  Did you mean to say Advanced?

Attachments: 
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Chromium_Man wrote:

I'm honestly not being sarcastic:  Did you mean to say Advanced?

I did not!

I don't know what to tell you. I think of myself as being a decent player. Each game though was just one calamity after another. The best I did was the third game. Had Omnitron down to the low 30s, a decent amount of HPs, and AZ had his whole arsenal out. There were three obsidian fields and AZ was using Thermal Shockwave to do a ton of damage and heal a ton each round. But then Omnitron wipes the environment and plays that many villain cards, including wiping all of our equipment and ongoings and bringing out two repair bots. 

The second game started with an Electropulse Explosive. The fourth game started with both EEs in the first two rounds, and a T-rex. All I remember about the first game was that I had equipment and ongoing wiped at least four times.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

I'd chalk it up as a string of tough breaks. They happen.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Chromium_Man

Omnitron's "swinginess" is one of the reasons it took me forever to reconcile Omnitron's printed and actual difficulties. The first time we played him he whooped us hard. Now that I've had a lot more experience there's only really three cards in his deck that scare me. 

For what it's worth, in my game that I won before I had a lot of good luck. No EPEs, no Sedative Flechettes, and only one late game Technological Singularity. He did get out two early Adaptive Plating Subroutines which can neuter AZ and Ra, but I got around it by making use of the projectile damage from Staff of Ra and occasionally making AZ one of the targets of Inferno to switch Omnitron's resistance to cold before Ra's power phase. 

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I tend to find the EPEs more annoying than lethal, most times - if one comes out it just means you have to focus on it rather than on Omnitron, unless it's been played in the environment's turn and will actually be able to go off for the full fifteen damage before you have a chance to do anything about it. Technological Singularity and Sedative Flechettes tend to be the worst cards for us, because they're grouped with Devastating Aurora in the "one-shots that nuke all/most of your stuff with nothing you can do about it" type of card :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I've tried this matchup a few times now.  I also end up losing but by close margins each time.   Basically I've needed one turn of all heroes standing and I'll get Primordial Plant Life or River of Lava on the environment turn then an Omnitron turn with Sedative Flechettes or Terraforming.  Terraforming will end playing one or more cards as I try to use the environment to my advantage most often leaving a few Dinos or Obsidian Fields out since I can't gocus on them too much.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Amnachaidh
Playtester

I'm getting slaughtered with it (0 and 2). Bad runs in both games. I really want Legacy or Visionary to boost AZ.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I'm away from my cards so haven't had a chance to try this, but the total lack of deck control is presumably a problem.

Amnachaidh
Playtester

Ra's and AZ's spats are harder to hide in a 3 hero game. The only boost that I recall is Imbude Fire, which messes up AZ's healing ability.

Can I say somethin' about destiny? Screw destiny!.... 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say, "You're evitable!" Fred Burkle

Powerhound_2000

Finally beat Omnitron with this group.  Only AZ was up and the Volcano finished off Omnitron before it made AZ crispy

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I won but it ended up being pretty close. I used Wrathful Retribution to take out Omnitron but totally forgot the "devices must be destroyed" rule, and there was an EPE sitting there. It killed Ra and left Fanatic with 1 HP. Another EPE came out on the villain turn and Absolute Zero knocked himself out to damage it more. It was up to Fanatic with a final Brutal Censure and Exorcism to cleanse the land of the robotic menace.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363235737

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Won again, but it was close again! This is a good matchup. Once again Wrathful Retribution settled the score. No incaps this time, but it was quite close, especially as a T-Rex came out near the end.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363250898

FoldedDice

I decided to jump in and give this a try a couple times. The first game, I got absolutely destroyed when a T-Rex and both EPEs came out in the same round.  This was right after Omnitron had nuked away all of my ongoings and I had just used End of Days to remove the other T-Rex and a cluster of drones and components (which had arrived due to Terraforming), so I really had no response.

I started out pretty well in the second game, managing to knock Omnitron down to half before he put up much resistance. However, once he zapped away my whole board and got out his Adaptive Plating I started to get into real trouble. There were several consecutive rounds where I didn't have enough damage available to remove his components, so he incapped Absolute Zero and got the others down to single digit health. I was probably a round or two away from another loss, but Fanatic drew Wrathful Retribution just in time. I had Omni low enough by that point to take him down in one burst, then a friendly Volcano washed out all the drones while we hid under Ra's fire protection.

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

I'm 0 for 4 or 5 so far myself.  I feel compelled to keep playing until something changes.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

All these people are playing multiple games of this, now I feel the need to play at least one more.

Edit: And here we have it!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363591067

It's interesting, I never played Isothermic Transducer in that game, but did have Null-point Calibration Unit. Somehow though, Absolute Zero still ended up incapacitated. I guess have the magic touch!

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Finally won one, though it felt kinda cheap since the Volcano + Flesh of the Sun God was a significant source of damage to everything but the heroes.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363595082

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

EdgeDS wrote:

Finally won one, though it felt kinda cheap since the Volcano + Flesh of the Sun God was a significant source of damage to everything but the heroes.http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363595082

When life gives you lava, you make lava-ade.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I tried it again on Advanced. That was tricky, because a lot of the damage done by AZ and Fanatic is 1, and you often have to be careful to deal it when Omnitron is on the right side. But with some timely Chastise and Zealous Offense, and yet another Wrathful Retribution, we got the job done. At the end, the dinosaurs helped me out a lot and then AZ finished Omnitron off.

Fanatic definitely can help mitigate the environment & EPEs if she gets the right cards. If she doesn't.. it's trouble.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363639580

FoldedDice

MigrantP wrote:

I tried it again on Advanced. That was anatic definitely can help mitigate the environment & EPEs if she gets the right cards. If she doesn't.. it's trouble.

Fanatic is definitely the MVP here, for that and other reasons. Absolute Zero and Ra are both so dependent on their ongoings and equipment cards that they become nearly useless after Omni removes them. Also, their damage potential is greatly restricted by having Adaptive Plating in play. They end up going through several turns where they can't make full use of their abilities, only to have those abilities stripped away even if AZ or Fanatic manages to knock off the Plating.

I can't see being able to win this at all if Fanatic doesn't get the right set of draws.

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Whooo...this was a rough one!

I didn't manage to do it on Advanced, and it took me two tries to beat this one just on normal.  I got a bad sequence of Terraforming plays in the first match, but the second one had the hate spread out a little more evenly, so I didn't get hammered all at once.  I ended with AZ incapacitated, Fanatic at 10 (she had just triggered Aegis of Resurrection) and Ra at 8.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

From a story perspective, I have always really liked the teamup of Fanatic/Ra/AbZero. "The Judges of Fire and Ice" or something dumb like that. 

bshugg

First try.  I just got the game today and am 9-0 for all matches.  Going to start trying the advanced versions.

Attachments: 

games?

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Took me 2 tries. First one it ended with Omnitron at 50 ish hp and a full complement of dinosaurs and an epe.
Second one was closer; it ended with a last round wrathful retribution, flesh volcano combo, and i may still have lost if a t rex hadn't come out. Ended with Fanatic at 5 hp and Ra at 4. Used the volcano to kill drones that were out

Chromium_Man

I'm 2 for 2!  No Sedative Flechettes this game but both EPEs and a Technological Singularity popped up. 

Attachments: 
MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Foote wrote:

From a story perspective, I have always really liked the teamup of Fanatic/Ra/AbZero. "The Judges of Fire and Ice" or something dumb like that. 

At one point I did have Fanatic hit Absolute Zero with Absolution in order to keep Zealous Offense going =). He was OK with it!

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

He was 0 K with it?

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

MigrantP wrote:

Foote wrote:

At one point I did have Fanatic hit Absolute Zero with Absolution in order to keep Zealous Offense going =). He was OK with it!

And people make fun of me when I attack otehr heroes. 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

xThe Killswitch wrote:

He was 0 K with it?

Win!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wow. Yeah, that's tough. Having both the villain and the environment wiping the board (with Fanatic wanting to help) makes it exceptionally painful for this team. Was able to win it, but that was a hard-fought victory...

Two rounds before the end, Fanatic was taken out, Ra was at 17, and AZ was at 1. The round before the end, Ra was at 8 and AZ was at 11. Lots of HP swinging in those last few rounds.

Attachments: 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I wad able to end of days after i got wiped. It made it easier because i was able to slow omnitron as much as he slowed me, or nearly as much

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Got two obsidian fields in play first 3 rounds, it ended pretty quick with all the instances of damage that were thrown down.

cmschex
Playtester

Got it on my second try, with everyone between 8-11 HP.  Chastise'd EPE when is came out and was able to clear it once we finsihed off Omni with an End of Days

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

In my defense, I am impatient, so on the first four tries, I spent little time looking through the other hero's decks to orchestrate team responses.

Even so, it took me another three tries to win.

cmschex
Playtester

It was a fun matchup...a great reminder of how scary base Omnitron can be ( my first ever game of SotM I was playing Wraith and went from 15 to incapped thanks to Technological Singularity.  That was a surprise)

HappiestMeal

I had a much harder time with this fight than I expected.  Every round there were at least two things that needed a beating and I couldnt not get that massive 15 hp bomb thing to not come out in the first two turns.  So far I'm 1-4 on that setup.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I had a fun Omnitron Game today.

Yes.  Fun is the word.

Font of Power:

Omnitron plays Railgun.

Legacy plays Legacy Ring

Absolute Zero Plays Sub-Zero Atmosphere

Wraith Plays Mega Computer

Start of villain turn:

Omnitron flips to Rampaging Robot

Omnitron plays EPE

Railgun shoots people

EPE deals 15 damage to everyone.

Normal Card Play:

Omnitron plays Terra-Forming, destroys font.

Omnitron plays Sedative Flechettes.

End of Turn:

Omnitron plays Technological Singularity.

We had been crushing Omnitron to that point, and at the end of the turn Legacy was the only one left.

The Railgun had been put to the top by Wraith, Font just destroyed us.  It was ridiculous.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

How did Omnitron play a card during his Start phase? I'm sure there's nothing in his deck that lets him do that and you didn't mention the Pillars of Hercules being out so I presume it wasn't that...?

I am the Wordweaver...

Powerhound_2000

Font of Power played Sub Zero Atmosphere which would allow Omnitron to play a card at start of turn if flipped to Rampaging Robot.  Then after Sub Zero Atmosphere was destroyed his play a card text would let him play another card at the end of the turn

edit:  thus showing you don't want Sub Zero Atmosphere in play against Omnitron if you can help it.  

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ahh yes, Sub-Zero Atmosphere. Missed that. Ouch!

I am the Wordweaver...

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We played the setup on the stream! And were doing so well, with 3x Obsidian Field.. and then Omnitron Terraformed it into death and destruction.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MigrantP wrote:

We played the setup on the stream! And were doing so well, with 3x Obsidian Field.. and then Omnitron Terraformed it into death and destruction.

Mwah Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

I only managed to beat Omni with these three heroes after four tries.  :)

In the spirit of this thread, I am now trying to win what may be the hardest possible match (based on the info from the Statistics Project): G.I. Bunker, Absolute Zero, and Rook City Wraith, vs. Advanced Cosmic Omnitron, in the Ruins of Atlantis.  I have tried four times so far, and only once did my heroes survive past the fourth round.  :(