The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Diplomacy

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Odin
Odin's picture
Diplomacy

Would anyone be interested in playing an online game of diplomacy? Diplomacy.com is really great and I haven't played a game in a year or so. I know this game isn't for everyone since it takes a large time investment and getting taken out causes people to get angry. There is a reason Dice Tower ranked this as the second game to never play with an angry gamer. If there is interest I could create a private game with a password.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I love Diplomacy, but don't expect to ever actually play against anyone but a computer again.

Very curious now what game Dice Tower ranked _above_ this to not play with an angry gamer.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Odin
Odin's picture

How do you play diplomacy against a computer? It is a very social game. Is it similar to gunboat diplomacy where you can only put in moves and can not make contact with other players?

Odin
Odin's picture

I believe it was a gmae called lifeboats that was voted 1. I've never played it.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I would absolutely love to play an online diplomacy game with a turn length of, say, 24hrs. I have used playdiplomacy.com in the past, but would be open to using any site with a good UI.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Having played only one game, I'm currently rather meh on Diplomacy, but if you need someone to fill a seat I'd be happy to be proved wrong :D

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Yes Please, would love to play a game of diplomacy.

Odin
Odin's picture

So far looks like we have the following people interested:

Paul

Phantaskippy

Bluehaired meerkat (perhaps)

If we can get seven that would be great!

Would you like random country choice or first come first served?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Odin wrote:

I believe it was a gmae called lifeboats that was voted 1. I've never played it.

I have a crappy home-made version of Lifeboats. It's pretty brutal, and fun. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I can work with any country. Random is cool with me!

Also, I definitely agree on the desirability of getting to 7. Fewer players is way less fun :(

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I haven't played Diplomacy for about 12 years, but I might be interested. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If you find people and need a seventh ...

... I'm still not playing that *%&* game.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Aww, someone played Austria Hungary first game?

Odin
Odin's picture

My second ever game was austria-hungary, actually wasn't bad. Second time I played as Austria, Juggernaught popped up and I was history. Still looks like we have five (including meerkat). If we get one more, it sounds like Arenson9 would like to play! wink I may just create the game and whoever is interested can join.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy wrote:

Aww, someone played Austria Hungary first game?

Is this in reference to me? I played Diplomacy many times growing up -- on the order of a few dozen, back in the days before there were Internet judges. Later, I got a copy of Diplomacy on my home computer and played against computer-only opponents hundreds of times. Diplomacy against computer-only opponents is very, very different than playing against other people, so I don't count this as playing Diplomacy, per se, but it did give me a much more extensive knowledge of the board and of a few tactics.

I love Diplomacy. I just care more about my relationships with people and my time. Diplomacy is to long of a game for me to spend that much time with strnagers and too relationship-stressing to play with friends.