The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Destroying the source of an effect

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester
Destroying the source of an effect

We had a situation today where some rats dealt damage damage to the 2 lowest hp targets.  The first was Ra, and he had his "fire shield" (I forget the actual name) up.  That combined with some of his boosters immediately killed the rat.  So my question is, does this stop the rat from dealing damage to the second target?  And more generally, can destroying the source of an effect WHILE it's resolving, stop the effect from completing?

I believe this is ultimately the relevant question for this (http://greaterthangames.info/forum/index.php/topic,371.0.html) discussion as well.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Agent Bon

This has been a topic of considerable debate with the people I play with, and I'd prefer to hear an official ruling.  That said, I'll include what I've been going by in the mean time.

My unnofficial ruling has been to have hinged on the actually spacing on the cards.  I consider single paragraphs a single effect.  All reactionary effects trigger immediately, but the effect keeps going until the paragraph is done.  After everything is resolved from that paragraph, the next one takes effect if the source is still in play.

If lava is spewing from a volcano and everything will be damaged, I expect it to hit everything even if an effect stops the volcano.  The lava is already on the way, the way I see it.  I found stopping things like this in the middle almost always made the game too easy because the players could manipulate things too much.

Effects in separate paragraphs I consider to be a separate phase of the card.  If you're playing a card to deal damage and gain health, but the gaining is in the second paragraph, I would say that the hero could go down from a revenge attack before gaining the health.  However, cards that target multiple targets one step at a time, like Chain Lightning, do not just end if the first one dies, but would end early if Tempest went down.  Revenge that would only occur during damage delt by the 3rd paragraph of Chain Lightning would not occur until the damage in paragraph took place, so Tempest could survive through the last hit if the player chose the target order carefully.

I don't have the cards with me ATM so I was winging it on the references.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm with Agent Bon on this except that I tend to interpret sentences, rather than paragraphs, as a single effect.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Early on in the forums (not sure the exact link) I created a hypothetical situation where a card dealt damage to all heroes.  The it had previously been stated that in a situation like that, the heroes determine order.  In my hypothetical, I had the card deal damage to Ra.  I then had Ra immediately deal damage back to the original target.  That destroyed the target, thus cancelling the damage to be dealt to the other heroes.  Someone (I believe Paul) said that this is correct.  Basically, the moment a card is destroyed, any outstanding effects of that card (or at least any outstanding damage to be dealt by that card) are cancelled.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

dragonlordged
dragonlordged's picture

This is answered in the official errata pinned at the top of the forum.  Look under Other -> Ties, timing, etc.  They have a specific example about a card dealing damage to all heroes and Ra's Flame Shield.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

OK, Jeff, I now agree with your assessment of Wrest The Mind. If the wrested target dies taking 3 psychic damage from Visionary, that causes Wrest the Mind itself to be destroyed and Visionary doesn't have to take the 3 psychic damage to herself.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Interesting.  This does lend credence to the idea that End of Days needs errata then.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka