The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

December OblivAeon update!

90 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester
December OblivAeon update!

The latest update to the OblivAeon Kickstarter(written by Christopher this time around) covered several important key things: http://tinyurl.com/z4gzalg

1) Christopher loves us.

2) OblivAeon will take a little longer than expected, but Christopher is confident enough to say we WILL get our rewards from the campaign in the first half of 2017.

3) Those who had pledge levels that included Vengeance, Shattered Timelines and Wrath of the Cosmos will be getting their copies by the end of the month(barring Fright Train derailing or something like that), and GTG will float the bill for the shipping.

4) And the most awesome bit of news(I personally think) is that we wilol be recieving 3 NEW ENVIRONMENTS INCLUDED INTO OBLIVAEON!

These new environments include:

~The militerized industrial city of Mordengrad(Home to a certain villain)

~The Maerynian Refuge(the new home of Tempests people here on Earth)

~Champion Studios( A big movie company located in San Alonso)

Edit: Added in the url to the update.

Edit: Changed thread title from 'Latest' to 'December'.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'm curious as to why a movie studio is a place of high importance.  The others make sense to me.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I'm curious as to why a movie studio is a place of high importance.  The others make sense to me.  

Maybe it's a city like Rook City, or Megalopolis. Except they ahve wayward animatronics, skeevy agents, exploding props, and a dahs of corruption. Also, in a sunny city? SHARK ATTACKS! We have yet to see one, and the only one I noticed was in Kismet's deck. if there is no Shark i will be sad. 

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Powerhound_2000

There is a shark on Gimmicky Character.   It is likely the same shark too as the same comic issue is referenced on that card and Inconcievable Obstruction.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

There is a shark on Gimmicky Character.   It is likely the same shark too as the same comic issue is referenced on that card and Inconcievable Obstruction.  

RIGHT! I forgot about Gimmicky Character. So... maybe it was a shark for a movie! I now ahve huge hopes that there be a shark. 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Could the movie studio could possibly be for Stuntman?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Matchstickman wrote:

Could the movie studio could possibly be for Stuntman?

And Ambuscade, as he used to be a Action star too. 

Powerhound_2000

Ambuscade is Stuntman

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Ambuscade is Stuntman

right, I forgot that Action Stuntman is from a different timeline, not both. 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Also I'm guessing that there may be a few pokes and jabs at 'Super hero' movies and the 'artistic-liberties' some studios take vs the original content.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Phantom5613 wrote:

Also I'm guessing that there may be a few pokes and jabs at 'Super hero' movies and the 'artistic-liberties' some studios take vs the original content.

Character Embargo! Licensing issues! Toy markets! Recasting!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Also, Christopher will appear as a cameo on every card.

Yeah, I'm also baffled as to why the studio is so important to the main storyline.  I can certainly see it being important to a few secondary characters, like Ambuscade/Stuntman and maybe Guise, but that's about it.

Mordengrad makes sense story-wise--I'd forgotten Baron Blade was actually still based there, I kept thinking he was sort of nomadic on his flying defense platforms and whatnot--but do we really need another military/industrial area?  Seems like Fort Adamant and Dok'Thorath, and some cards in Mobile Defense Platform and The Block, cover that pretty well already.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Perhaps the whole "superhero/villain" thing is a giant con and nothing we have done has been anything other than a scene in a movie.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Another theory could be that that there are criminal empires, sketchy science departments, and a place that uses monsters instead of prosthetics backing the theatre and company.

Or, maybe it's just Occam's razor, and it's just a cool idea! Why not have something that's unrelated, but fun? 

Powerhound_2000

The entire multiverse is just a movie!

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

The entire multiverse is just a movie!

Are you saying that the heroes' personalities and lives are just figments of our imaginations, and we're playing them like some little game? I think that's a silly idea! HA! :P

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Maybe it's setting up for GTG's next game:
Sentinels of the Movieverse. 3-5 players play as actors playing superheroes as must act out battles against dozens of cgi villains in front of various greenscreens.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Or it's a setup to a series! A LIVE ACTION/ANIMATED SERIES. 

IT'S HAPPENING! :O :D

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I'm actually really excited for the Maerynian Refuge. I'm thinking a more hero-focused Dok'Thorath. I mean, what could be going on there that would hinder the heroes' efforts at beating the villain?

Powerhound_2000

Well FILTER agents come to mind for me

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Champion Studios: At first I thought it would just be Hollywood props, sort of like Silver Gulch, but I like the idea of confusing things by having fake heroes, villains, and props lying around.  I want a "prop swap" card that goes on an equipment--or a device--in play, and just takes away all its text (and the "limited" keyword).  But it would be even sillier if the environment somehow turns the entire game into a movie or TV episode, and all the cards are just tropes, like "The second movie always ends badly" (maybe adds to villain damage when they're flipped, but only if no hero is incapacitated?) or "Mook marksmanship academy" (villain damage is reduced the more villain targets are in play, or maybe all projectile and energy damage dealt by targets other than character cards is reduced to zero).

Maerynian Refuge: It's actually kind of depressing that this will be an environment, since it means the Maerynians are coming under attack.  And since environments are largely more harmful to the heroes, this suggests they're not doing well.  We have other FILTER agent stuff (The Block and presumably Fort Adamant), so I kind of hope they're not the aggressors yet again.  Maybe it will be a deliberately helpful environment?  Or maybe the Maeryrians are upset at the heroes for some reason and are just as eager to fight them off?  Sounds like it might be hard to make this different from Dok'Thorath's and The Block's warring factions mechanics.

Submit your games here!

UXM266
UXM266's picture

What if the Champion Studio has fake villains/heroes? Targets that if destroyed, you lose the game, but are (somehow) confused with a villain or hero character card? Like a person cosplaying baron blade, or a Brad-Pitt look a like for Legacy. We can't have the main star die on set! 

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Thinking about why the environment is important.

Tachyon's Wife is a model, maybe this is the place she records commercials. Add in Ambuscade being an actor and any sort of shady "corporate sponsorships" for marketing heroes as toys and saturday morning cartoons. Or villains, after all, they need commercials too.

Also Guise. Just Guise.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

UXM266 wrote:

What if the Champion Studio has fake villains/heroes? Targets that if destroyed, you lose the game, but are (somehow) confused with a villain or hero character card? Like a person cosplaying baron blade, or a Brad-Pitt look a like for Legacy. We can't have the main star die on set! 

Don't know if I want to deal with that as I'm fighting a Galactus-sized threat to the Multiverse, but who knows?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Maerynian Refuge should be exciting.  Can't wait to see the mechanics behind it.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Aren't the Maerynians supposed to be pacifists? Maybe the problem is less that they're fighting the heroes and more that they're trying to keep the heroes from fighting.

Alternatively FILTER could have ironically, shall we say, forcibly conscripted them somehow.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Given the hints we heard from the description of Fort Adamant, I think it'd be more likely that we'd see F.I.L.T.E.R. there than in any other environment so far.

http://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Fort_Adamant

The only place we haven't visited yet that I'd really love more of an insight into is RevoCorp.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

bobbertoriley wrote:
The only place we haven't visited yet that I'd really love more of an insight into is RevoCorp.
Oh, now that is an excellent point.  We don't actually know a whole lot about RevoCorp--it's all mentioned incidentally.  Poring through the wiki, here's what we know:
  • They held Plague Rat prisoner for a time.  He works as their "bloodhound" during Villains of the Multiverse but is free again in Tactics.
  • They also held Setback prisoner at one point, but he escaped.  (They didn't create him, Baron Blade did that.)
  • Parse works for them.  Only one thing suggests she ever quit: On Benchmark's incap side, he receives directives to kill both Setback and her.
  • They were in possession of Omnitron I's core (being studied by Parse) when it was upgraded into Cosmic Omnitron.
  • They're somehow in charge of Revenant (Setback mini-nemesis in Friction's deck).
  • Naturally, Benchmark is their crowning achievement.
  • Benchmark's enemies, at least in the Supply and Demand universe, include Fright Train, Highbrow (nemesis: Parse, also in Friction's deck), and two more I can't place (a woman in a gold-and-white dragon leotard and a scarred man in purple).
  • It seems likely that Re-Volt is also with RevoCorp (I don't know why else Setback would be his nemesis)

As near as I can tell, that's it.  So... what kind of business are they, really?  Other that studying superheroes and villains, it's unclear how they make money and what their public face is.  Maybe they do own Champion Studios.

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

...Okay, if Champion Studios is a front for RevoCorp, that would be the most amazing thing ever.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

MindWanderer wrote:

Naturally, Benchmark is their crowning achievement.Benchmark's enemies, at least in the Supply and Demand universe, include Fright Train, Highbrow (nemesis: Parse, also in Friction's deck), and two more I can't place (a woman in a gold-and-white dragon leotard and a scarred man in purple).

I'll bet you a Big Mac that's the Operative from that Benchmark's world.

ketigid

The addition of 3 new environments was a great update. As mentioned in the update, 5 environment deck are needed for the OblivAeon scenario. Having 5 environment decks (vs 2 originally) would make OblivAeon somewhat self-contained as a stand-alone expansion. Though I can't imagine why someone would get into OblivAeon before the original base game...

On a separate note, I hope that GtG has taken into account the size of the Collector's box. These new decks would have to fit into the Collector's box, sleeved! Completionist GuiseGuise demands it! :)

Powerhound_2000

Revenant from my understanding is the owner of RevoCorp based on questions asked during all those streams they did.  

Trajector
Trajector's picture

So there are now THREE Baron Blade-themed environments, yes? Mars Base, Defense Platform, and Mordengrad?

I kind of hope that playing against Blade in his hometown is really hard.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

ketigid wrote:

On a separate note, I hope that GtG has taken into account the size of the Collector's box. These new decks would have to fit into the Collector's box, sleeved! Completionist GuiseGuise demands it! :)

Christopher says in the comment section of the update that yes, everything will still fit into the box. Even with sleves, if I remember correctly.

Trajector wrote:

So there are now THREE Baron Blade-themed environments, yes? Mars Base, Defense Platform, and Mordengrad?

The Wagner Mars Base is a research facility. It isn't ment to be a specific environment for Blade, he just uses it once in story for his TerraLunar Impulsion beam. Saying Wagner Mars Base is specifically his environment is like saying the Brooklyn Bridge belongs to the Green Goblin because he threw Gwen Stacy off of it once.

Edit: Fixing some spelling

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Phantom5613 wrote:

Trajector wrote:

The Wagner Mars Base is a research facility. It isn't ment to be a specific environment for Blade, he just uses it once in story for his TerraLunar Impulsion beam. Saying Wagner Mars Base is specifically his environment is like saying the Brooklyn Bridge belongs to the Green Goblin because he threw Gwen Stacy off of it once.

Huh. I honestly thought Blade was hiding out in Atlantis for the Terra Lunar Impulsion Beam, and it was Omnitron who was on Mars... But it's been a while, so I could be remembering it incorrectly. blush

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Wagner Mars Base is where Baron Blade would have killed Paul or Felicia Parsons. I'm not sure where Baron Blade was with the Terra Lunar Impulsion Beam, but it certainly wasn't at Wagner Mars Base because it wouldn't be called a Terra Lunar Impulsion Beam I it wasn't in Earth somewhere.

Ironic Fist

MindWanderer wrote:
Parse works for them.  Only one thing suggests she ever quit: On Benchmark's incap side, he receives directives to kill both Setback and her.

There's another; the flavour text on "Segmentation Fault" in Parse's deck hints that she no longer works for them. Revenant says "I think it goes without saying that you're fired." after getting hit with one of her arrows. I know flavour text doesn't always match the picture, but in this case it seems likely.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh weird, I never considered Revenant might actually own RevoCorp before. I guess he named it after himself?

Powerhound_2000

I would assume so.  

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Ronway wrote:

Wagner Mars Base is where Baron Blade would have killed Paul or Felicia Parsons. I'm not sure where Baron Blade was with the Terra Lunar Impulsion Beam, but it certainly wasn't at Wagner Mars Base because it wouldn't be called a Terra Lunar Impulsion Beam I it wasn't in Earth somewhere.

I really don't think it would be an effective strategy to pull the moon into the earth while you're still on it, no matter how powerful your Mobile Defense Platform is.

But still, my point still stands that Wagner isn't specifically Blade's environment.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

At Gen Con we learned that the Terra-Lunar Impulsion Beam incident was in Atlantis.  I remember some one saying it while we were talking to Christopher and Adam and they confirmed it.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The Maerynians aren't pacifists, they gave up violence because they were going to destroy themselves entirely.  Which is very different.

They lost to Voss because they were not prepared to mount a resistance, and it took too long to prepare to fight Voss and there were too few left.  They did fight though, and I assume the others would have no less trouble using their powers than Tempest did excaping from FILTER or fighting villains.

It should be very interesting, because a refugee camp where everyone has superpowers can't be a place the rest of the world isn't going to be interested in.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy wrote:

At Gen Con we learned that the Terra-Lunar Impulsion Beam incident was in Atlantis.  I remember some one saying it while we were talking to Christopher and Adam and they confirmed it.

Right, and each of the four original villains link up with one of the four original environments.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

I really don't think it would be an effective strategy to pull the moon into the earth while you're still on it, no matter how powerful your Mobile Defense Platform is.

Baron Blade is not necessarily known for thinking things through.

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Omniblade:  "Sir, I estimate our odds of survival to be 3,720 to 1."

Baron Blade:  "Never tell me the odds."

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

Omniblade:  "Sir, I estimate our odds of survival to be 3,720 to 1."Baron Blade:  "Never tell me the odds."

"Fright Train, take the 'Professor' into the back and plug him into the Terralunar Impulsion Beam."

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

morph147

still sad we are not getting a greater than games hq environment.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

MrLeRobot
MrLeRobot's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:

still sad we are not getting a greater than games hq environment.

My bet is we're gonna see some inside jokes in the Champion Studio environnement. At least I hope so...!

MrLeRobot...

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

maybe its the multiverse vesion of GTG...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Lol that would be cool...there might be a couple of actors there who look a lot like Citizens Hammer and Anvil...

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I think it is a lot that produces really bad PSAs and low budget films, and the heroes are forced to watch the films.

Pages