The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

DarkWatch composition and the fate of NightMist

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
DarkWatch composition and the fate of NightMist

{Split off from the Darkwatch Synergy thread}

Aren't they only ever a canonical team of three or four, though?

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

No, they pick up The Harpy, before something mysterious happens to Nightmist.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

Not that mysterious.  The ARG says what happened (plus a bit of chat from Christopher).  Nightmist opened portals to a ton of alternate realities trying to get help to fight Oblivaeon.  When the spell was finished, she had used up too much power and vanished.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Donner wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

Not that mysterious.  The ARG says what happened (plus a bit of chat from Christopher).  Nightmist opened portals to a ton of alternate realities trying to get help to fight Oblivaeon.  When the spell was finished, she had used up too much power and vanished.

Which unleashed a terrible uncontrollable Mist Storm in the tactics timeline. (its unconfirmed, but it's clear whats going on there)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

So, it's this right? The possible Dark Watch teams are, in chronological order:

1. Expatriette, NightMist, and Setback

2. Expatriette, NightMist, Setback, and Mister Fixer

3. Expatriette, NightMist, Setback, Mister Fixer, and The Harpy

4 Expatriette, Setback, Mister Fixer, and The Harpy

NinjaMonkey

I really wish I'd backed at the Playtester level way back in the day. I am dieing to know how Darkwatch Harpy changes and enhances the nature of the team. All I've got to look at now is the foils. Having to wait until next year to discover what these mysterious Control Tokens are and how they interact with the team is killing me.

NinjaMonkey

Trajector wrote:

So, it's this right? The possible Dark Watch teams are, in chronological order:

1. Expatriette, NightMist, and Setback

2. Expatriette, NightMist, Setback, and Mister Fixer

3. Expatriette, NightMist, Setback, Mister Fixer, and The Harpy

4 Expatriette, Setback, Mister Fixer, and The Harpy

That looks about right to me. Although #4 makes me sad.

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Eh, it's a comic book 'verse, Faye will be back in some form or another.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Although, by the time 4 comes around, its only a short time before 5 comes up: Expatriette, Setback, Mister Fixer, and Pinion.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

mwc146 wrote:

Eh, it's a comic book 'verse, Faye will be back in some form or another.

I honestly don't think so. I think there are other (non-story) factors impacting this decision...

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

According to Christopher's description of what happened in the Oblivion event....in order to break the dimensional walls that allows the various versions of the heroes to come and fight Oblivion, Nightmist literally burns herself (and all alternate reality versions of herself) out of existence.  So I think she's legit gone.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It's comics, legit gone can be undone at a moment's notice.

Nightmist will not be back in SotM, because it is over.  She is unlikely to be in other games for different reasons.  

But, in the mythical world of Sentinels Comics, Nightmist is only a quick storyline away from being back.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Unless she's one of the permanent deaths that's always there to remind you that deaths can be permanent, like Uncle Ben, or Bloogo.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Apparently there may be an Uncle Ben clone coming up soon.   For a long time Bucky and Jason Todd remained dead.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

NinjaMonkey

Add Barry Allen to the list. He died back in the 80's and only recently came back.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Okay, I have no facts to back this up, but here's my theory: NightMist was originally created by Richard Launius -- along with GloomWeaver -- for Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's likely that two characters are not going to be continued outside of SotM for purely business reasons. GTG will come up with very plausible story explanations for it, of course, because they are story tellers and are good at maintaining consistency, but I honestly think it's fundamentally a business decision.

That's just my theory, though.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Has anything been revealed about the composition of Darkwatch in the RPG timeline? (Recall that it diverges significantly from the Tactics timeline after OblivAeon. In particular, heroes are more accepted by the government/the public in the RPG timeline for Reasons.)

The Burning Stickman

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Apparently there may be an Uncle Ben clone coming up soon.   For a long time Bucky and Jason Todd remained dead.

Yeah, the old saying was, "Nobody stays dead in comics except Bucky, Uncle Ben and Jason Todd."

I think it's since been amended to, "Uncle Ben and the Waynes."

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

If they REALLY wanted to, they could pull a Ra or Bunker and have some other character take the mantle of Nightmist. In this case, Pinion/Harpy would be the best candidate since she did study under Nightmist. But I think Christopher wanted her to be her own entity.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

The Burning Stickman

I could also see something like the mists reforming into a new, distinct humanoid entity which -- while it may have the powers and functions and some memory of Nightmist -- is distinctly not Faye Diamond.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I'm sure the Sentinels RPG will have rules for creating a Nightmist-like character, and if they have the rules for it, they'll probably have a pregen built with them.  I'm hoping that's true for The Scholar, too.  Unless they were killed off because >G couldn't figure out a way to make their mechanics work in the RPG?

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

If Christopher can make Mr. Fixer work in Tactics (he's a BIG reason I hope Broken City gets made) he can make Nightmist or Scholar work in an RPG.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MindWanderer wrote:

Unless they were killed off because >G couldn't figure out a way to make their mechanics work in the RPG?

Nah, I honestly don't think that has anything to do with it.

The Burning Stickman

If there's anything I've learned from playing and GMing in FATE (the Dresden RPG, specifically), it's that you can make just about anything work.

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

Yeah, RPGs are the easiest thing to play with power levels on. I seriously doubt the viability of Nightmist and The Scholar for the RPG was a concern.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote