The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Current fave teams

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Martin Tenbones
Current fave teams

This thread is for posting what your favorite team is to play currently, and why.

I typically play Sentinels by constructing a strong team and testing it against Ultimate villains in interesting locations until I beat them all or get bored.  I just finished a full run-through using Prime Wardens Tempest, America’s Greatest Legacy, Dark Conductor Argent Adept, Scholar of the Void, and Dr Medico – Malpractice.  I lost once each to Ultimate Cosmic Omnitron on Wagner Mars Base (dropped the theme and held the rematch in Silver Gulch, which went fine), Infinitor in Cosmic Tribunal (could not keep representative alive against his spam but very possibly would have lost that one anyway, rematch in the Block fine), and Kaargra in her Capital (identical rematch went fine, she’s just high variance and accumulates Favor very quickly due to her Advanced and Challenge abilities).  I’m taking a break before engaging with Oblivaeon, that dude stresses me out. 

It’s among the strongest teams I’ve played without an infinite combo, and I like that it gains a lot of power through interactions between characters changing the value/meaning of cards from what they are when viewed in isolation.  Multiple sources of recursion to the top of decks and the ability to play off that location out of turn profoundly changes a lot of cards, especially Don’t Dismiss Anything, Take Down, Know When to Hold Fast, and Lifeforce of Will.  Mass healing is usually redundant after a certain point, but here it can become damage through Red Right Hand and Mortal Form to Energy or power uses through Second Opinion.  Each character also has strong options balanced by self-damaging effects, which have significantly different impact due to mass healing or strong, source-agnostic tanking from Heroic Intervention, Alchemical Redirection, or Immunization.  Lifeforce of Will, Proverbs and Axioms, and Second Opinion appreciate heroes with multiple strong powers.  And so on. 

It additionally offers clutch options for certain difficult matchups.  Preventative Care is a self-replacing free-to-play card that dramatically eases the difficulty in keeping the Dreamer alive in spite of her Challenge ability.  Using Dark Dynamics on her deck allowed Miss Information to flip on T3, sparing us the lengthy unanswered pre-reveal beating that often spells doom in that matchup.     

All in all, if you like playing action-economy teams that sometimes leave you thinking “I’ve done so much stuff that I forgot whose turn it was originally,” it might be one to try.

What about you?

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

One of my new favorites is Omnitron-X, La Comodora, and Lifeline. The basic strategy here is to use Timeshift to boost Lifeline until he can stand on his own, then Comodora (who by that time should be well set up), while establishing components for passive damage and healing.  As Comodora, fill your life with equipment.  You should be able to support around five equipments once the going gets going- your job is primarily to support the team and accelerate with an endless barrage of Harnessed Anomalies (on yourself when possible) and Time’s Lessons.  Lifeline is the DPS, and for that reason I suggest his Blood Mage variant.  But he can also give powers and plays to boost the team.  All in all, it’s a really tough setup to top.

carnilius
Playtester

Lately I've been playing with Legacy, Argent Adept, Visionary Unleashed, Ra, and F5 Absolute Zero.  Going for the Twist the Ether on AZ + Imbued Fire + Coolant Blast combo.  Everyone hits AZ with fire damage instead of villains, AZ either heals or deals damage depending on his health, then on his turn unleashes a massive coolant blast.

Martin Tenbones

I like both these responses, because I've never sparked to either Lifeline or AZ (although because of that I've never actually noticed F5, and the ability to tutor Sub-Zero Atmosphere T1 seems interesting against several enemies). 

I've tried Guise/Mr Fixer combos with Blood Mage for giggles (Vitae Strike is a nice upgrade to the previous Tempest/Squall combos, especially with Jack Handle being able to redirect its self damage) and for wondering what happens when you put Lifeline cards in Guise's hand with Lemme See That/Ophic Respository (he can play them, "you" vs "Lifeline" on cards matters quite a bit, they go to Lifeline's trash when played), but I haven't found a solid spot for him in a group that really calls for him yet.  I keep him in the same mental bucket as PW Tempest (self-damaging damage dealer with great draw), but Tempest has a couple more utility options in Reclaim and Into, while lots of the stuff that looks like utility on Lifeline essentially turns out to be more damage.  I do like his Ley Line cards, though.  Could you say more about why him?  And how do you run Omnitron X with no tank and no Hypersonic Assault/Offensive Transmutation type cards?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Really enjoying this thread. I don't know some of the heroes used very well so it's fun to learn more about them.

I've described this before, so feel free to skip if you've seen it ...

My go to beat-everything team is focused on turtling and building up to massive, game-ending strikes. I developed it when working on a project to beat every villain with all heroes at full HP. I _love_ card draw, so it starts w/ Team Leader Tachyon and continues with GI Legacy, so in the beginning of the game, everyone's getting two card draws. In fourth position is Sacrifice Tempest, using that variant so he can dig as quickly as possible for Cleansing Downpour. Scholar of the Infinite is in fifth place, used mostly for his tanking, but as you noted for his ability, combined w/ Tempests to pull cards out of the trash and play them en masse. Take Down and Into the Stratosphere lock down or slow down the villain. Hypersonic Assault and various Scholar cards stop or tank damage. And the linchpin, in position three, is Fugue State Parse. I play her slow, getting all the Critical Multipliers in play, building to the point where she has her whole deck in hand and can play Recompile three times a turn, giving another hero a +30 bonus.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Martin Tenbones

Man, you *do* like card draw if you're running Team Leader, Gung Ho-ing that as well, and still playing Sacrifice on top of that. 

I have a special affection for throwing cards into place right before using them - as in, playing Alacritious Subdominant's perform with Lyra to put Inventive Prep into play right before your rhythm accompany hits, feels like you're building a road just ahead of you while driving on it.  For me, Scholar - Tempest - Adept offers the best version of this, as you can recur Don't Dismiss Anything as well as the other recursion card (Vernal can't target itself, Reclaim can but its draw means it won't stay on top of the deck to be hit by Don't Dismiss) and then when you use Dark Dynamics to activate Don't Dismiss Anything you can target the other recursion card as the first Don't Dismiss recipient and hopefully throw both a second Don't Dismiss Anything and another recursion card on the other character.  And then you can play THAT recursion after you've activated the second Don't Dismiss Anything and put Proverbs and Axioms or Know When To Hold Fast on top of Scholar's deck.  Tempest + AGL can do this, and Adept can do it solo again on his turn with the right instruments/tunes/cards, and Dr Medico can Lifeforce of Will or Pulse/Experimental/Second Opinion such that PW Tempest, AGL, and Adept can work together to do it again (sometimes twice, if Scholar managed to draw one on his turn), so you're potentially looking at 6-8 Don't Dismiss Anything plays per full round before considering Regeneration.

I suppose blowing the doors off action economy is my version of winning with full HP.  If I get to play as many cards in a round as would normally be played in a full game, I'm happy. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I would probably like what you described more if I could keep it all in my head! There's a point I'll reach where trying to keep everything tracked starts to take away from my enjoyment of the fantastic orchestration.

Sidenote: We once had a group of five people all playing separate Argent Adept decks. We had to come up with some mechanisms to keep track of whose turn it was, though once everyone was set up it was relatively easy, as we'd just each pass power plays to the person on the left.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

carnilius
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Sidenote: We once had a group of five people all playing separate Argent Adept decks. 

Did you allow players to use songs that were not in front of them?  Guise is able to do it, so it follows that other players playing AA should be able to, but that might make things too OP.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

carnilius wrote:
arenson9 wrote:

Sidenote: We once had a group of five people all playing separate Argent Adept decks. 

Did you allow players to use songs that were not in front of them?  Guise is able to do it, so it follows that other players playing AA should be able to, but that might make things too OP.

We did! We were very happily OP!

Martin Tenbones

The app does a really nice job of tracking stuff if you're playing on that - can always tap rewind button to see what phase of whose turn it is, and easy to pop in to look through the cards in a deck or trash without knowing what is there in what order.  I can see this kind of play being frustrating with cards, though.

Abbp

My favorite team is all about feeding Fixer. I start with TL Tachyon and Grandpa Legacy so card draws to start then other powers as needed. I've got AA for plays and powers. Honestly these 3 can allow any damage dealer win most games I think. However in 4th I have whichever Captain Cosmic version lets him play 3 cards. Put the damage reducers on legacy who can lead from the front. Ultimately I want all 3 constructs that allow the hero to deal 3 energy damage and all 3 constructs that allow an extra power usage to be on Fixer. Then I like for fixer to crowbar up and win.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Abbp wrote:

My favorite team is all about feeding Fixer. I start with TL Tachyon and Grandpa Legacy so card draws to start then other powers as needed. I've got AA for plays and powers. Honestly these 3 can allow any damage dealer win most games I think. However in 4th I have whichever Captain Cosmic version lets him play 3 cards. Put the damage reducers on legacy who can lead from the front. Ultimately I want all 3 constructs that allow the hero to deal 3 energy damage and all 3 constructs that allow an extra power usage to be on Fixer. Then I like for fixer to crowbar up and win.

OooOOOooo! That sounds fun!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Abbp wrote:

For a fifth hero you might consider Sky-Scraper for the link Micro Assembler (to guarantee you pull out a specific tool) and Compulsion Cannister.  If Fixer has Jack Handle you can place the Compulsion Cannister on him and he will deal two sets of two psychic damage to all non-hero targets not counting any buffs.  If you have Dual Crowbars out Fixer will hit himself first for a decent amount of damage and then get to hit any target for a boosted hit.   Then you have a second target you can hit and again a follow up from it.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Martin Tenbones

So Sky-Scraper would sub in for Captain Cosmic?  I like the tutoring from Micro and Catch a Ride synergizes well with Fixer, but I'm not sure that compensates for the lack of Augmented, Autonomous, or Cosmic Weapon for Fixer, or Dynamic Siphon for AA. 

Fixer is a hero I never use, makes me like Sentinels all the more that people build whole teams specifically to support him. 

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I miscounted and thought it was missing a fifth hero.   I’d more likely replace TLT in that case.  Both Captain Cosmic and Sky-Scraper have cards which make Fixer more potent.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Honestly, right now my favorite team is still the Prime Wardens.  Specifically PW Adept in slot 1, PW Cosmic in slot 2, any Tempest, base or PW Haka, and any non-base Fanatic.  The last 3 slots can be arranged as one pleases and the varients used depend on what I feel like trying that match.  This team is just so good at weathering any sort of blow through power bouncing and really the only issue is Cosmic has a bit of trouble getting started but that's nothing a few bullwarks can't fix.

I'll put things in here later.

Martin Tenbones

What's the main selling point about Fanatic?  I've never found her worth playing her outside of PW version with some kind of "please don't screw me with End of Days" support (Akash, Unity).  I feel like I should like her for Zealous Offense, Chastise, and Embolden being strong and interesting cards along with solid damage, but there always seems to be someone better to use. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Final Dive is honestly one of my all-time favorite cards in the game. I like picking people up and throwing them at other people. :B

doppelgangerung
doppelgangerung's picture

One fun trick: an Autonomous Blade or two can double or triple the damage output of Divine Focus.

Martin Tenbones

It may be that my focus on a. testing fixed teams vs. variable villains (I don't think she's very good against solo villains without additional targets in their decks) and b. her PW variant is blinding me to her potential, but the teams I like to play with love/need her "one hero may use a power" aspect in order to e.g. drop AGL for her.  But then you're comparing her to AGL, and that's a rough act to follow.  

Hmmm.

I think I'll try something like PW Fanatic - Sentinels (w/variant Idealist) - DC AA - Termi Unity - Malpractice Medico, as I haven't found a team where I enjoy playing with Fanatic or Termi Unity yet.  This would let me reconfigure to Bee Bot frequently, benefit from the Medico/Sentinels synergies, give a couple forms of source-agnostic voluntary tanking to let through the damage that Medico and Fanatic require while still shutting down incoming damage, and have a very deep bench of power-swapping/sharing options (which is the kind of thing I usually like a lot). 

Also: followup on my original post, I beat Oblivaeon with the team posted there, got to enjoy flipped Rainek as well.  Might have been a bit of a fluke, as Rainek and the Tomb of Anubis basically kept the second zone clear without my having to ever go there (didn't hurt that Rainek was followed by Borr and the Tomb played Swinging Blades and The Challenge of Fire early), but the team performed well enough to win with 4 defeated Scions, no defeated heroes, and no environments destroyed. 

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Fanatic also has End of Days, the most powerful board wipe in a hero deck, Aiges of Resurrection which lets her be far less nervous at low HP than most other heroes, Holy Nova which hits everything on top of a full party heal (alteritively this becomes a nuclear strike on one target in particular in her xtreme varient), she's one of few heroes that can give someone else an extra power on the other hero's turn rather than her own thanks to Embolden, Chastise lets you keep a priority target alive without them hitting you (say you want Citizen Hammer out of Dawn's trash but you also want to not get constantly hit by him)...

Really the selling point about Fanatic is that she has a ton of tricks in her deck that are either rare or entirely unique to her.  It just that these things don't all chain together in harmony like a lot of other heroes so her deck takes a bit to figure out.

carnilius
Playtester

Fanatic is also amazing when you give her damage boosts, because she hits twice.  Galvanized, fire imbued, ether twisted Fanatic sitting in a triple obsidian field does 14 damage a power use.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Want to have fun with Fanatic? Boost her (as Carnilius notes) and fight Apostate to get the Nemesis bonus, too. Final Dive the Periapt of Woe! Use Consecrated Ground to stop Apocalypse! Chastise a Demon! It's just so much fun to see Fanatic wrecking Apostate.

Martin Tenbones

The thematic thing I get, and I like her her weird, rare effects.  And I agree End of Days is amazingly powerful and is sometimes the best solution to enemy spam, but like the various Wrath of God MtG cards you really gotta build around it to make sure it hurts your enemy far more than you (I like teams that take setup and accerating that setup, she can bring it all crashing down real fast). 

The damage boost thing is definitely there, but given that it takes a fairly serious commitment of resources to push her damage that far I feel like there are other heroes who can routinely and sustainably put up many more instances of damage on the board if you're really building around that - Naturalist, Benchmark, and La Comodora spring to mind quickly.  On that front, I feel roughly as awkward playing La Comodora as I do with Fanatic, but with Fanatic I feel like her tools fit together awkwardly (similar to what Missingno mentioned above) and I'm unlikely to get past it while La Comodora feels like there's incredible depth there and I just need to grasp how all the pieces fit together better to unlock her awesome. 

Missingno
Missingno's picture

carnilius wrote:

Fanatic is also amazing when you give her damage boosts, because she hits twice.  Galvanized, fire imbued, ether twisted Fanatic sitting in a triple obsidian field does 14 damage a power use.

All the Fanatics love a damage boost aside from PW.  Redeemer Fanatic loves the extra damage on her divine focus.  As for extreme?  Get her in a vengence game with Holy Nova in hand and watch her just erase a baddie without DR of your choice.  Or possibly with DR!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Here's the thing: I'm not going to try to convince you that Fanatic's deck is a better choice than any other in order to increase your odds of winning, just that it can be fun to play.

Martin Tenbones

Oh, sure - I'm not trying to find that out, either, as I'm fairly convinced the best teams in sheer performance are all based around maximizing chances of hitting Guise's infinite (and with Completionist Guise out, if you can deal with his onerous unlocks, it's basically a shoe-in except for niche cases like Ultimate Chokepoint).  But I'm haven't generally found it fun to play yet, either (although I haven't delved deeply into the Termination Unity team I propose above yet, either - a random environment and villain threw me against Spite in Pike, which wasn't much fun, but that's just a bad MU for mass damage dealers).

What I am trying to find is a niche or concept that she can push farther than anyone.  If you were basing a team around what makes her unique, what she does better than anyone else, what would it be?  So far, because I'm kinda stuck on her PW Variant and I need to protect against it on an accidental flip, I'm looking at executing lopsided Ends of Days.  That is a bonkers card that Fanatic has that no one else can match, and it's useful in a lot of MUs.  I hear people talking up Xtreme Fanatic in target-rich environments, that seems plausibly good - you might be able to punch out The Operative or Fright Train T2 or T3 with the right buffs, that's no joke. 

It's also okay if Fanatic just isn't a swiss army knife character.  Plenty of characters exist in comics who are specialized to fight against a particular enemy group or type of enemy and don't do as well in other MUs (don't send the Punisher to fight Daken), it's not a problem if she's one of them. I do tend to build teams around swiss army knives, though, because that's how I prevent myself from building to exploit a particular villain's weakness (e.g. only packing Visionary when I need to nerf trash-based enemies with Brain Burn).

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Another thing Fanatic is good with, specifically in the Prime Wardens team without her Xtreme varient, is triggering Cosmic's Dynamic Syphons and Vitality Conduit.  She has two cards that hit up to 3 targets for one radiant damage which is just perfect for when you want to get another Adept turn, and with Tempest on board he can heal up everything with some cleansing downpours.

carnilius
Playtester

Martin Tenbones wrote:

What I am trying to find is a niche or concept that she can push farther than anyone.  If you were basing a team around what makes her unique, what she does better than anyone else, what would it be? 

She's an amazing tank, with one of the best abilities to self heal.  Most other self healers use up a power/card to do so, whereas she tacks on self healing to several cards that do other things as well.  I generally think of her as my front and center damage dealer who doesn't mind getting hurt -- on par with Ra or Haka, but with a bit more utility options.

Magpie
Magpie's picture
Playtester

Missingno wrote:

Another thing Fanatic is good with, specifically in the Prime Wardens team without her Xtreme varient, is triggering Cosmic's Dynamic Syphons and Vitality Conduit.  She has two cards that hit up to 3 targets for one radiant damage which is just perfect for when you want to get another Adept turn, and with Tempest on board he can heal up everything with some cleansing downpours.

Especially if you are using Requital Captain Cosmic. If Fanatic uses divine sacrifice to trigger Syphons and Conduits, she can tank their damage for Cosmic when he uses Requital.

Missingno
Missingno's picture

If you're using requittal, you're better off getting a bracer on him and a dose of counterpoint bullwark on him for the turns you want to use his power and you risk getting smacked by his own power.  Granted I don't like RCC due to the risk of pulling the "blow up all your constructs" card being played by his base power.

doppelgangerung

I'm experimenting with a new team concept, based on giving Scholar of the Infinite an out-of-turn play of 'Know When To Turn Loose', followed by as many uses of his Channel base power as he can manage before his next turn comes around, and relying on various means of mitigating or preventing the self-damage from his power uses. Getting desirable combos set up is the biggest obstacle at this point, but I'm trying different heroes to see what works most reliably.

Update: I played SotI, XPW AA, Old Man Legacy, S&D Benchmark, and Requital CC against Chokepoint. It took about three rounds of Scholar pumping up his hand size to get 20+ cards in hand; by that time I had Expect The Worst and Heroic Interception available to prevent him blowing himself up with Channel. I chose the latter option to let Scholar benefit from being targeted by Argent's power. Basically, in round 4 the team helped Scholar nuke Chokepoint from over 60HP to 0, with at least two more possible uses of Channel in reserve for the round.

10/10 would kick Chokepoint's butt again

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

That's a fun idea about SotI!

Martin Tenbones

I like it!  I very frequently finish out the last 80ish HP of a villain with Loose + Channel, but I rarely play it out of turn to spam Channel back to back. Probably more efficient than my approach, I often just get into "play lots of cards for their own sake" mode and forget to, yah know, win ASAP.

Question: What does "I had Expect The Worst and Heroic Interception available to prevent him blowing himself up with Channel. I chose the latter option to let Scholar benefit from being targeted by Argent's power" mean?  I think you're pinging AGL with Rebel Yell and passing the Gung Ho activation to Scholar, just wanted to make it explicit. (And speaking of explicit... jeesh, foil art Xtreme AA, that's quite a codpiece you've got there...) (...) (...) (waits for obligatory "Instrumental Conjuration" joke)

Also, I was really happy about this combo earlier in the year and spammed it everywhere so you may have seen it already, but: Dr Medico synergizes beautifully with Benchmark since Upgraded Memory Unit + Experimental Medicine + Second Opinion + Universal Donor lets him serve as a Dynamic Siphon equivalent for Benchmark, and Benchmark can then turn around with Ally Matrix and give the power activation anywhere (including back to Medico for a Healing Pulse) while loading up his Infernos (which are a strong alternative wincon to Loose/Channel if you buff him with a few Sycopated Onslaughts + Inspiring Presence + HUD).  I don't know whether there is something specific you like about CC in your team, but you might experiment Malpractice Medico instead (as Malpractice gives another buffer against overhealing, adds significant acceleration to the team with Lifeforce of Will and Positive Prognosis, and potentially allows for a crazy amount of Channels with Regeneration + full power setup letting everyone use a power at the end of every turn).

E: joke changes, Benchmark Inferno pod references, faster win acknowledgement.

doppelgangerung

Expect The Worst and Heroic Interception are necessary to prevent the self-damage component of Channel cutting a very nice damage train regrettably short. I tried using Expect The Worst on Scholar's turn, but then Rebel Yell couldn't affect him - and AA, as I am learning to my chagrin in a fight against ultimate Chairman, is my only means of getting that out of turn Turn Loose.

I will have to investigate Malpractice Medico further; CC is on the team for Siphon primarily, though he has several other helpful buffs.

I am noticing:

On the plus side: 1. once the Channel train is rolling, not much slows it down; 2. Everyone else can focus on henchmen, tanking, or what have you, confident that the big guy is gonna get clobbered soon.

In

On the not-so-plus side: 1. the team is severely lacking in global damage, making swarms of henchmen a bit of a problem; 2. CC's buffs are too easily removed by certain villain attacks; 3: lack of deck control/ongoing destruction.

Martin Tenbones

I get the "don't kill yourself with Channel" thing.  Just wasn't sure what the differentiation you were making between Heroic Interception and Expect the Worst was re: their interaction with Rebel Yell.

So you have SotI, XPW AA, Old Man Legacy, S&D Benchmark, and Requital CC.  You play Rebel Yell on AA's turn and do what?  Hit SotI with it, and he Turns Loose and then uses some other power besides Channel?  Or your cards-in-hand number is low enough that Scholar can play Channel once without killing himself but needs Heroic Intervention to survive doing it again?

You could also flip the order around, btw: take FF Legacy, have him go after Scholar and play Loose, then have other heroes feed him power activations. It's generally easier to find heroes that can provide other characters powers than card plays IME - partial list off the top of my head includes Unity, Parse, Akash, CC, Dr Medico (and several other heroes, once Second Opinion is in play), Benchmark, PM Fanatic. 

You could also probably put together a Guise version of this that uses Blatant Reference, I Can Do That Too, and Total Beefcake to power up Channel and then make someone else eat the self-damage due to his overwhelming sexyiness.  Pretty gimicky, but then, Guise is a Gimmicky Character!

e: Guise, and removing extra spaces at bottom.

doppelgangerung

The difference between the two cards was just when I had the opportunity to play them; Expect The Worst was making Scholar immune to AA's Yell, so I let him take the damage the first time, and played Heroic Interception before the second round of Channel.

That worked fine in preliminary testing with Chokepoint, but it's not going so well against the Chairman, so I'll have to look into some of the other suggestions you made.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

While running through unlocks so I can pick up Completionist Guise, I tried out the following “Golden Age Freedom Five,” which proved to be quite successful: Grandpa Legacy, GI Bunker, Science Tachyon, Rook City Wraith, F6 Absolute Zero.  Getting a second Experiment out each round (especially on the Freedom Five, who can be pretty safe) does wonders for setup, Panzerbuster can weaken a tough target so that the Wraith can wipe it out, or, if she has nothing better to do, she can scope out the environment.  And F6 Absolute Zero shines in a team that’s more setup-dependent to start getting stuff done.

Martin Tenbones

After playing around quite a bit I think the team I discussed in the OP is probably better off dropping Dr Medico for La Comodora.  He's amazing, and when fully setup is essentially a win (when everyone uses a power every turn) but for recursion La Comodora is stronger, Time's Lessons is available T1 without any setup and later synergizes very well with Timeless Treasures (to draw intervening card out of way) into Sweetspot (hitting a Time's Lessoned Vernal Sonata or Reclaim first, just hit Scholar last, as Proverbs or Don't Dismiss will ruin the rest of your Sweetspot setup).  Maria Helena's Plot also gives you a good second target (along with Tempest) for Syncopated Onslaughts.   She also just builds a lot more pilot tolerance, as the excellent tanking of Legacy and heals from Vernal, Rain, and Motivational can easily lead to your characters being at full HP, i.e. can't benefit from Second Opinion any more - while the Malpractice power helps prevent this, sometimes it also prevents a lot more healing than you intended at time of initiation and so can be a real mixed blessing.

I have been playing a bit more with the core of Dark AA, F5 Legacy, and Malpractice Medico outside of recursion teams.  This was mostly to see whether some teams like F5's play a card option more than AGL's use a power (pretty nice for AA's setup speed, as he can Inspiring Supertonic Legacy and then Legacy can give AA back a card play, while usually he need Alacritious in play to get this effect).  Very nice with either Naturalist + Void Akash (excellent environmental control and lockdown, huge damage, Naturalist loves being given card plays to hit max power Bestial Shifts) or Supply and Demand Benchmark + Termi-nation Unity (for the Dynamic Siphonesque combo of Medico -> Benchmark - Unity reconfiguring Stealth Bot back into play, and the joy of shovelling golems into play really fast and going to town with Raptors). 

doppelgangerung

Update:

So, I swapped out CC for Cosmic Inventor Writhe, and just finished off an Ultimate Chairman battle with the sweetest Turn Loose/Channel/Lies of the Shadows combo!

I'm also loving Writhe's Umbral Siphon - many of the toughest villains in the game are challenging partly because they are constantly healing themselves - the Siphon is one of the few hero abilities that can solve this problem.

Missingno
Missingno's picture

So, Argent Adept, Akash'Thriya, Fanatic, Lifeline, and SkyScraper.  Kind of a great team.  I dedided to see how well a team of heroes with lots of "everyone heals for 1 HP" cards would do and it turns out not only does the chip healing keep everyone topped off and the tree alive, they're a really good "who's turn is it anyway" team.

There's a special teamwork between Akash and Fanatic where Fanatic can play Zealous Offense and can prevent the tree from harming itself whie giving out powers and Akash can stop End of Days with Creeping Mold.  Fanatic can also trigger Lifeline's Alien Arcana with Embolden, which can get him a free power use.

The big damage this team rocks comes from Lifeline one he has his crap together.  With all the power bouncing around you can get double diget damage without breaking a sweat come lategame.  Fanatic and Akash also do a decent amount.

SkySky's main job is Emergency Evacing to keep the enviorment and villin ongoings under control and adding to the heal chain, though the Mirco Assembler is handy when you want Fanatic or Lifeline to have something extra to do during the power phase earlygame.

...What, you want a comment on Adept?  It's Adept.  Aside from more focus on Vernal Sonata on this team he's doing his normal Adept thing.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I can't always follow y'all's comments about your teams here -- don't know enough about the cards in some of the heroes' decks, but it's still fun.

Martin Tenbones

If it's from any of my comments and you'd like a little more info on specific cards or combos, just ask!