The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Cosmic Inventor Writhe Unlock Discussion

163 posts / 0 new
Last post
TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

All these accidental unlocks, but trying to copy anything anyone else has done leads to nothing. D:

I got his entire deck in his hand, and one of each of his equipment in play, along with most if not all of his ongoings, and nothing. :B

firelock_ny

After you got one each of his equipments in play did you use a power from each equipment that had one?

I didn't have all the ongoings in play, and I didn't draw anywhere near his entire deck.

ChronoRanger_101
ChronoRanger_101's picture

Is anybody keeping track of games played before it unlocks? Maybe it’s a cumulative requirement?

EDIT: 

i just unlocked it with stuntman, greatest legacy, team leader tachyon, and writhe against iron legacy  - win  

Thoughts:

unlock happened when match was over. Tachyon dealt the final blow. Only one was incapped  

Writhe: only equipments that played were the one that prevented him from playing, and the one that prevented him from healing. 

Didnt get a chance to prevent much damage. 

Maybe it’s play x amount and of equipment in the history of all your games?

FallenPrime826
FallenPrime826's picture

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

Maybe it’s play x amount and of equipment in the history of all your games?

I hope it's not because that sounds so dumb, but at the same time it's the most original off-the-wall suggestion so far and I genuinely wouldn't put it past Handelabra to have done that. How would we possibly track that, though, unless someone who straight-up hasn't played since Cosmic Inventor dropped comes in and counts every Equipment they play in finished games?

bolnerap

Two things:

- I got CI Writhe in only my second game since the variant went live, so I feel like that's incredibly unlikely, and

- Christopher sets the unlock conditions, Handelabra just does what he tells them to.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

firelock_ny wrote:

After you got one each of his equipments in play did you use a power from each equipment that had one?

I didn't have all the ongoings in play, and I didn't draw anywhere near his entire deck.

Pretty sure I did. He's only got the three, right? Umbral Siphon, Cloak Projector and the portable lab.

Couldn't do much more than get most of everything out before the environment killed the villain. XD

ChronoRanger_101
ChronoRanger_101's picture

firelock_ny wrote:

i did get his three equipments out that have powers. I can’t remember if I used the power on the projector cloak. I did use the equipment that stops the villain from playing cards. 

If ive unlocked it, would it tell me if I achieved it again?

firelock_ny

I'm pretty sure that once you've unlocked a variant the game stops checking conditions for unlock. None of the log files I've looked at had "you've unlocked" messages for variants that weren't unlocked that game.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

If ive unlocked it, would it tell me if I achieved it again?

If you unlock a variant by meeting its conditions you won’t get notice of achieving it again.   So anyone who has unlocked Void Guard variants at this point won't get notice of the unlock again.  There are ways to reset that people have found but not something I’m going to get into as it’s not really a supported item.  If the option to just unlock a variant was there and you used that then when you actually meet the conditions later on you’ll get the notice/achievement.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Could it be having more equipment in hand than in play/trash?

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Sunset Shadow
Playtester

Just got an accidental unlock using Dark Visionary, F6 Wraith, and Writhe vs. Voss in Megalopolis. I've only been skimming this thread, but in case any of the following are helpful:

• Cloak Projector was never in play. Every other equipment was played and used at least once.
  • Writhe's base power was never used.
  • The Shadow Cloak was destroyed once, and a turn never ended without it in play. I brought it out with Sciamachy turn one, and destroyed it on a later turn by playing Grasping Shadow-Cloth via Sciamachy, which brought it back immediately. I used Concealed Assailant to deal the finishing blow to Voss, which would have destroyed The Shadow Cloak a second time had the game not ended first.
  • Between Decoy Projection, Smoke Bombs, and Stun Bolt, there was a lot of damage redirection and reduction going on.
  • There was a lot of equipment in play thanks to Wraith and Writhe. I don't think Writhe had any equipment in hand at the end of the game.

"It is said that the future is always born in pain. . . If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world. Because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past." - G'Kar

firelock_ny

OK, so "Writhe plays each unique equipment" is crossed off as a possibility.

I looked over my unlock log and it looks like Writhe ended each of his turns with the Shadow Cloak in play for my game as well, that might be the significant thing.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I finally got the unlock. It actually took me several games, so if it's some kind of cumulative total, I'm doing something weird.

This particular game was of note because of how much was in my trash, thanks to an opening board of Citizens Sweat, Tears, Truth, and Anvil (which I almost just restarted upon seeing). And of course Tears got resurrected. So there was more in my trash than in my deck or hand.

Attachment(s): 

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

I tried a game where I put the Shadow Cloak out on turn 1 and then did nothing but draw cards for the rest of the game. No unlock.

JohnnyFreedom
JohnnyFreedom's picture

Sorry if I missed this reading through, but can it have something to do with the number of equipment cards in the trash at the end of the game?

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

This is so dumb, I really don’t know what to do anymore, I’ve unlocked on iPad. Not steam.

whats left? Who knows. This thread is no longer as active. I might just wait until it gets unlocked eventually.

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm sure once we figure out the unlocks for the others, all the others will come back and focus on Writhe.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Are there 5 things you would like to know about Void Guard Writhe: Cosmic Inventor? Ask here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sentinelsmultiverse/comments/9wr5n5/ask_me_5_things_void_guard_writhe_cosmic_inventor/?

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

borkabrak

Here's another data point on this.  I just unlocked Writhe, generating the following game log:

https://pastebin.com/S8MT82pR

As a quick overview, I played all the Void Guard Sentinels and the Sentinels deck against La Capitan.  Won, with (Void Guard) Writhe dealing the final blow.  I used powers/options that sent the Shadow Cloak into the trash several times, often pulling it right back out.  Still don't know exactly what unlocked it, of course, but it looks kind of awesome.

jorgenp

Just a quick summary of the comments made by MigrantP about the unlock:

Does the unlock condition contain any sequences of events that must occur in a particular order relative to one another? Yes

Does the unlock condition contain a value that is a function of (H)? No

Does the unlock condition contain the word "Equipment"? Yes

Does the unlock condition contain the word "damage"? No

Does the unlock condition contain the phrase "The Shadow Cloak"? No

The first response is interesting.  Has a registry key been identified for Writhe?  If not, then this would hint that there is a sequence of things that must occur within the same fight, right?

Powerhound_2000

MigrantP also answered this =)

Does the unlock condition contain the word “unlock”? Answer - No

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

For what it's worth, the first question would be answered "Yes" in relation to almost every unlock condition. Good luck with that!

Entchen

Well, I just unlocked him, no idea how.  I played the four Void Guard heroes against The Dreamer and lost.  I'd post my log, but I'm on a Mac and various people in the Discord tried to help me find my log a while back and it wasn't where it's supposed to be, so . . . I don't know how to do that. I wasn't specifically trying to find the unlock, so I didn't really pay attention the the sequence of events.  Wish I could be more helpful.

Powerhound_2000

Per MigrantP on Steam these are the locations 

MigrantP wrote:
On Mac your log/data files will be found here:

~/Library/Application Support/unity.Handelabra Games Inc..Sentinels
OR
~/Library/Caches/unity.Handelabra Games Inc..Sentinels

Entchen

Good news: I found my log!

Bad news: When I lost, I hit "try again" or whatever the thing is that starts the game over, and even though I didn't actually start the new game, it looks like that was enough to delete the previous game's record.  Well, I tried.

Kratos13

MigrantP wrote:

For what it's worth, the first question would be answered "Yes" in relation to almost every unlock condition. Good luck with that!

This was my first thought as well when I saw this question.  Not that I’m much help with this either (iOS no logs).

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

Double unlock of Writhe and Mainstay today. Log attached.

Attachment(s): 
tomfagan

I created an account just to add my unlock 

It was a terrible game against ambuscade that i lost on like round 5 with writhe doing virtually nothing 

the only thing of notice i can think of is every chance i got to destroy the shadow cloack i didnt 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Welcome to the forums!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome to the forums!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

DeviousQuail

https://pastebin.com/KX724a9F

TLT, Idealist, Mainstay, Dr. Medico, and Writhe against Ambuscade in Final Wasteland.

I wasn't even going for the unlock, just trying out the Void Guard heroes after not playing SOTM for a while. Since order and equipment matter I can say that I played Shadow Cloak using Writhes power, umbral siphoning during my play phase (used that power a few times), and used somber tinker to play Portable Dark Lab but never used the power.

NurseTamsFam
NurseTamsFam's picture

https://pastebin.com/D1yAWJP8

Also just created an account to post our log for an also accidental unlock.  We were playing the Weekly One Shot (Omnitron-U, Supply and Demand Benchmark, Cosmic Inventor Writhe (ironically), Dark Watch Setback, and Hunted Naturalist against the Chairman in Omnitron IV).  Unlocked as soon as Omnitron-U brought the Chairman down to 0, but before the Operative died, so before the end of the game.  

B+E

Powerhound_2000

Just of note from Steam forums MigrantP commented on this https://steamcommunity.com/app/337150/discussions/0/1733216893871333265/?ctp=7#c2479690531144024201

MigrantP wrote:
If you unlocked it before the game was over, that's a bug. We'll have a look.

Also welcome to the forums  

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I've noticed (and reported) other timing bugs when you beat the Chairman first.  Not surprising that unlocks would be off as well.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Well, I finally unlocked him by playing this week's one-shot. Have a copy-paste from Steam:

https://pastebin.com/GQe5FeXu

Quote:
I could not even tell you what I did. Writhe had two cards out all game, tops, including the Shadow Cloak. He used Umbral Siphon a couple times before I spent the last few rounds of the game just having him double-skip because he was low on cards. Everyone else just did their usual thing, I played no one in any particular way.
FearLord

I’m going to have another wild stab in the dark - Complete a game with Void Guard Write on the Team. More Equipment cards must enter play during the game than Writhe plays other types of cards.

just.a.smith

Like TakeWalker, I also accidentally unlocked Cosmic Inventor Writhe during this week's weekly one-shot.  Here's the log:

https://pastebin.com/s7mbc4ee

Notables:

I used Umbral Siphon a bunch of times, including on the very first turn.

I used Sink into Shadow exactly once.

I had four equipment and an ongoing in play at once, but I never played a Cloak Projector.

Trump

I've never been into the unlocking but I accidentally did it today and saw that there was no asnwer for him yet so I thought I'd help add data for others.

I had Omnitron X, Expatriatte, Writhe, Nightmist, and Bunker against Gloomweaver.  I defetaed Gloomweaver with Writhe by using the Cloak Projector and destroying the Shadow Cloak.  I had plenty of equipment out as you can imagine with this cast of heroes.  I was fighting in the Realm of Discord and Time Flies came out.  Using Adhesive Grenades, Bunker kept it out like that for three turns in a row so I was really flush with cards.  I don't know enough about this unlocking to tell you more that might be useful, but hopefully that will be of some help.

Attachment(s): 
Lemee_Adam
Lemee_Adam's picture

I don't believe you need to complete a game to get the unlock. Just destroy a target. My friend got CI when flipping Kargra from flip to front, with less than 20 tokens.

"2+2=4-1=3 Quick maths"

2+2=3

Powerhound_2000

Incorrect and MigrantP commented on this on Steam https://steamcommunity.com/app/337150/discussions/0/1733216893871333265/?tscn=1543886257#c2479690531144024201

MigrantP wrote:
If you unlocked it before the game was over, that's a bug. We'll have a look.

TempestLA

I  just got the unlock on Writhe accidentally myself. I did not realize the unlock was unknown, so I really don't have a lot of detail about the game. However, I got the unlock in a game with Spite. Writhe was the key to my victory because Umbral Siphon prevented him from healing. When I read though the unlock factors that were listed, I saw a lot about damage prevention/reduction, but almost nothing about healing prevention. The games which showed unlocks tended to be against opponents with some reliable regeneration factor that Umbral Siphon could shut down. could it be as simple as:

Use Umbral Siphon to prevent x points of healing.

This would meet the need a certain sequence of events (damaged the target with Umbral Siphon on a turn before it attempts to heal) and involves equipment (Umbral Siphon). And a partial list of villains where the unlock was successful (Spite, Blade, Dawn, Omnitron, Kismet, Gloomweaver) all have fairly common healing mechanics. 

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

I unlocked him the other day. Don't have all the details in front of me but I do remember it was a random game and base Writhe was the last to get incapped for the loss.

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

bolnerap

TempestLA wrote:

I  just got the unlock on Writhe accidentally myself. I did not realize the unlock was unknown, so I really don't have a lot of detail about the game. However, I got the unlock in a game with Spite. Writhe was the key to my victory because Umbral Siphon prevented him from healing. When I read though the unlock factors that were listed, I saw a lot about damage prevention/reduction, but almost nothing about healing prevention. The games which showed unlocks tended to be against opponents with some reliable regeneration factor that Umbral Siphon could shut down. could it be as simple as:

Use Umbral Siphon to prevent x points of healing.

This would meet the need a certain sequence of events (damaged the target with Umbral Siphon on a turn before it attempts to heal) and involves equipment (Umbral Siphon). And a partial list of villains where the unlock was successful (Spite, Blade, Dawn, Omnitron, Kismet, Gloomweaver) all have fairly common healing mechanics. 

Nope, back on page 1 we have a log of someone who never used the power on Umbral Siphon but got the unlock.

Velvetisis
Playtester

MigrantP any chance we can get a hint phrase like the first one for Idealist?  For her we at least have kind of something to go on, for Writhe our flashlights have run out of batteries and we're wearing sunglasses on the dark side of the moon during an eclipse.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The hint for The Idealist was given to help someone unlock her in the first place. You have lots of evidence to go on.

Freeflare

Alrighty, just got the unlock.  Thought it might have something to do with total equipment played during the game, so I went in against Abulscade in Freedom Tower with TL Tachyon, Wraith, Bunker, Omnitron X, and Writhe.  Tachyon was there as a card engine, everyone else was there because they had tons of equipment.   Tachyon had her goggles in play, Wraith had pouches, knives, stun bolts, targeting computer, and razor ordinance, Omnitron had 2 gaussian blasters and had played 2 armors, Bunker had flak cannon, grenade launcher, maintence unit, Omnicannon, and had played an aux power source, and Writhe had the cloak, cloak projector, umbral syphon, and portable lab.

Intentionally went as fast as I could and took him down on round 5.

So I ended up with 16 equipment in play at the end of the match.  19 had been played, but 3 (one armor, one aux power source, and the shadow cloak) were destroyed during play.

Outside of Taychon, none of the heroes had played all possible equipment in their deck.

We know it doesn't have anything to do with damage and winning isn't required.  Maybe it's something as simple as 'complete a game with void guard writhe where 10 unique equipments have been played'?   If unique equipments is the requirement, 10 is the maximum it could be as there are recorded unlocks on the sentinels/plague rat 1 shot a while back, and between all 7 sets in that one shot there are 10 equipment total.

Anyway, this would explain why the unlock just seems to happen sometimes; if you're not playing a heavy equipment based squad it'd be impossible, and if you are it'd just happen naturally.

Log for reference.

Attachment(s): 
Freeflare

Ok, that last idea actualy doesn't work.  The achievement triggers at the end of the match, and anything that's as basic as 'get x in play at once' would trigger when you had done so.

Also, damage done is irrelivant, number of players is irrelivant, win/loss is irrelivant, and the shadow cloak specifically is not meaningful outside of being an equipment.

It seems to favor somewhat faster matches with lots of equipment, and requires an end of match check before handing out the award.  So... maybe it's something like 'complete a match where there were at least twice as many equipment played as game rounds'?

Really wish there was some way to test these ideas out.

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Late to the party and hadn't actually been trying to Science my way through it, but here's my successful unlock log for the analysis pile.

Attachment(s): 
Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Just unlocked Writhe by accident in a random game against Advanced Voss at Court of Blood.

I unlocked using CI Writhe since I had previously unlocked him with the button, so I can confirm base Writhe is not a requirement.

Of note, I didn't get the shadow cloak out until Writhe's final turn and never destroyed it or any other equipment cards. The only powers Writhe used were his base power and Umbral Siphon.

Velvetisis
Playtester

So a path to explore:  Numbers of powers used on equipment cards. I got an unlock looking to play as many equipment cards with powers on them and use them as often as I could.  I used powers from ards 34 times over 14 different equipments.

https://pastebin.com/Dk5cZKxF

Might have to do with total powers used or number of powers used, but this could explain with Caspit's Playground seems to boost the odds of winning by making all ongoings into equipments.

Pages