The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Console Version plz?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
LastFrontiersman
Console Version plz?

Hi All,

I think it'd be great to have a console version that you can play on the PS4, Xbox, or Wii U.  Maybe just the initial game with no expansions (option for DLC) to introduce it to a wider audience.  Note on this, if they do submit it online, I'd like them to subtract the material cost from the cost... I don't necessarily want to pay again for something I already have, but I am willing to pay again for the presumed online features.

e.g. When I'm not able to round up some friends to play, I might be able to round up some random people online to play.  Also, less table space required.

I do think Wii U is a good place to go, because from my experience this game translated in Japanese is just the sort of thing that could go wildly popular in Japan.  (Y'now... that place what invented Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Final Fantasy?)  Japan has an almost fetish for numbers games, especially team based.  This really could explode in Japan if they have a reliable translation.

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

It's available through Steam.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

What do you mean by "the material cost"?

The game would cost the same to develop whether you had bought a previous version or not. And no store in the world would discount a CD album for you because you bought the cassette version back in the 80s.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

That said, the app is cheaper than the physical card game, due to lack of printing costs and no shipping required.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I could see them expanding to consoles at some point but just like the version currently available you have to pay for each platform. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

What do you mean by "the material cost"?The game would cost the same to develop whether you had bought a previous version or not. And no store in the world would discount a CD album for you because you bought the cassette version back in the 80s.

True, but quiet a few RPG companies discount the cost of the PDF from the physical version of their product, or out right give away the PDF if you buy the physical product.

Though, those products are both made by the same company, I don't see how it would work for Sentinels as the game is made by two separate companies.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Matchstickman wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
What do you mean by "the material cost"?The game would cost the same to develop whether you had bought a previous version or not. And no store in the world would discount a CD album for you because you bought the cassette version back in the 80s.

True, but quiet a few RPG companies discount the cost of the PDF from the physical version of their product, or out right give away the PDF if you buy the physical product.

But it's an easy (and quick) job to convert your print file to pdf, so it essentially cost the company very little. They can afford to give it away. It's a bit like Adam's art prints - already "paid" for since the work's already done, so they only really cost paper and ink.

I dread to think how many people hours go into converting a game into console format (or any other format), and hours cost money. It's certainly not a thing you can do with a click of a "save as pdf/print to pdf" button, and it's not something that's already done like Adam's art.

Also, how do you prove you own a physical copy of a game that's sold through stores via distributers? What about second-hand or traded copies?

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We'd love to do a console version at some point. Our top priorities right now are expansions and network multiplayer, however.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

We'd love to do a console version at some point. Our top priorities right now are expansions and network multiplayer, however.

I don't currently own a console, so network multiplayer is a bigger concern for me.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Likewise. Well, okay, I do have a couple of consoles, but they're an XBox and a Playstation (both of the "original" incarnation). I'm not much of a console gamer. Looking forward to online multiplayer for the PC version of Sentinels :). Oh, and Infernal Relics. And Shattered Timelines. All my favourite heroes :D. Oh yeah, and the Prime Wardens, for added ridiculousness when I'm playing the Adept :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)