The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Compiled comic download?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Voxil
Compiled comic download?

I've been looking all over the internet this morning trying to find the Sentinels comic in a downloadable form.  I know its posted on the website but I'd like to be able to read it at my leisure and not necessarily need to worry about internet connection.  So, does a compiled form exist and is it available somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind.  Didn't realize it was quite that short.  Is there more comic out there or is the whole storyline just stuff we pick up from Bios and flavor text?

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

The whole storyline is just stuff we pick up from bios and flavor text.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

...and quotes from GtG.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

and compiled on the wiki!

seriously though, the comics are an afterthought, a kickstarter reward. i believe they plan on more in the future, but they are a game design company first and comic studio a distant second

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

lynkfox wrote:

and compiled on the wiki!

seriously though, the comics are an afterthought, a kickstarter reward. i believe they plan on more in the future, but they are a game design company first and comic studio a distant second

Well ... yes, but ...

they are artists and storytellers before, even, before being game designers, so to some degree the game _and_ the comics are really just avenues to laying out the art and the story. The game does, though, certainly come before the comics.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I still want more comics though...

danmarshall14
danmarshall14's picture

I'd be 100% supportive of any Sentinels comics entering my life.  Hopefully they'll offer more down the line.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

We will!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

YAY!!!!!!!

See, you got a big yay from the person who doesn't like comics. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Voxil

W00t! (that's a phrase still allowed on the internet, right?)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Voxil wrote:

W00t! (that's a phrase still allowed on the internet, right?)

No. Consider yourself banned - please leave the internet immediately by the nearest exit. 

Damn it, Ronway!

Voxil

Guh.  Not again >.>

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Yeah Comics!

danmarshall14
danmarshall14's picture

Christopher wrote:

We will!

That is exciting news; I would cry a glorious fountain of tears if they were in physical form.

Of course digital is great too; any amount of extra Sentinels exposure = good.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Forgive me for being the one to say it, but the Freedom Four comic was really not that spectacular.  It gives a little added detail about the backstory, which is nice, but as a work of graphic literature, it was fairly passable; had I actually paid for it, I'd have likely not felt it was worth the price (much as I feel about many bargain-bin comics I've picked up over the years; they have some merit, but I might rather have had the dollar or so I paid for them, and kept a millimeter of space on my shelves free).  If there are to be future SOTM comics, I hope that they will take a bit of an uptick in quality compared to this first effort...even if they're just free incentives, they should be taken seriously and treated as ambassadors for the product, therefore making them as excellent as possible.  (Back when I followed Magic: the Gathering, they had some very high-quality webcomics featuring their "planeswalker" characters; naturally >G doesn't have as much manpower and cash to throw around as Wotco, but we know that Badell and Rebottaro are capable of great storytelling and great art, as evinced in the game's art and flavor text, so my hope is that they'll bring at least their "B Game" when making the new comics, maybe not working quite as hard as they do on the game but at least coming close, whereas the F4A was well short of their potential, I feel certain.)

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Has the awesomeness level of the universe just gone up, or down?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone saying they didn't like the comic. I don't think it's entirely fair to compare the comic to stuff done by Marvel or any other professional company since the art department of Greater than Games is just one guy. For what was presumably a one man project, the comic was very well drawn. My only problem with it is that it tells an incomplete story, and I would really love to see the rest of it. I think they chose to go with the story they did because 1) It was about the formation of the Freedom Four which were characters everyone in the fandom was familiar with and liked, and 2) it didn't reveal or spoil any of the plot of the metanarrative taking place in the card game. The only real new piece of information we got was Bunker's underwater suit. Keep in mind too that for some people they had literally been playing Sentinels for years before the comic came out, it was a stretch goal for the Infernal Relics kickstarter, and so it was just enough to see characters they loved in an actual comic book setting.

I'm not trying to just shoot down your opinion, Envisioner, but I'm trying to give you some context as to why the comic was highly anticipated and generally well received.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Spiff wrote:

Envisioner's post made it go up. But this post made it go right back down.

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

And due to the billions upon billions of things that happen in the universe every single second, all impacting the universe's level of awesome, isolating the exact perturbation caused by a given forum post is almost impossible.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I'm not even saying the comic is bad, just that it's not incredibly good.  I'm glad that it exists, but we know that we can expect better from these guys, and I'm a little sad that the stars didn't align thus that they could produce a literary tour-de-force, instead of just a little something extra.  If you showed the comic to someone who didn't know anything of the game, I doubt that they'd say "my god this is better than Kurt Busiek and Warren Ellis, I must own everything these creators make".  I believe Badell has the chops to stand among the giants of the comic industry, like Moore and Gaiman and Morrison and Willingham, but this comic isn't what proves it, the game is.  You have to love the game first, then the comic is sort of neat, but in an ideal world, the comic would be good enough that it could make you want to try the game, and I really don't think that'll ever happen.

None of this is a big issue for the F4A, of course, because it only exists on the game's website.  But still, the paranoid part of my mind says that if someone wanted, for whatever reason, to hurt the SOTM franchise a little, they could go to Kinko's and print off 1000 copies of this comic, staple them together and distribute them at conventions, hoping to fool some people who didn't know the game into thinking that THIS was the level of quality involved in everything that the company did.  I remember fondly when I'd go to conventions and find these kinds of advertising mass giveaways; they were seldom very good ambassadors for the product.  While a stunt like this would probably bring in a few people who liked the comic, it would probably also convince several people that Sentinel Comics were just a lame rehash of the Justice League, whose only original ideas were making the Flash analogue a lesbian and giving Lex Luthor a goatee (and the latter is not exactly a step away from cliche, if taken in a vacuum); it would poison the well in any future attempt to win them over to a good opinion of what they had first seen in this underwhelming form.  And, pessimist that I am, I suspect that the net effect would be more negative than positive, that the no-sales would outstrip the new-attractees from such a stunt.  I believe that the only way you can be sure that your product will inevitably win over the fickle masses is if it's absolutely top notch in quality all the time.

The context that you mention is important, Nielzabub.  But we live in an age when people's on-air quotes are frequently recorded and spliced to create a false scandal, and those are the realities of today; it is increasingly dangerous for anyone to ever say or do anything that isn't a shining, Platonically-ideal jewel of irreducible greatness.  Creators today have to be careful of how their audience will react...that's why I question whether this comic ought to have been left in the proverbial oven a little longer, to ensure it was baked to perfection, before anyone was given the chance to sample it.

Ronway wrote:

Spiff wrote:

Envisioner's post made it go up. But this post made it go right back down.

Why thank you.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I rather liked the annual, personally. But I don't like comics, so I'm not exactly the target audience anyway. 

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

In a normal comic cycle that story would be much longer and fleshed out.  For what they were doing, it was awesome, mostly because we got to see the F4 in a comic and see them interact.  Also Tachyon getting fleshed out a bit was awesome, that comic changed my enjoyment of her deck a lot, who can read that comic and not think about snacks the next time they play Tachyon.  Running for food after ending your turn is pretty much required.

There is nothing but the annual (and the divider art) that involves her and food.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Lets keep things within some semblance of perspective here. The online comic is a suppliment for the card game and its lore, not the other way around. With that said, measuring its worth against Marvel/DC books is not exactly a fair comparison when their purpose and focus is much different. It gave life and personality to otherwise unknown static character faces printed on card stock. In that regard it was quite a successful suppliment which happened to use the narrative form that the game tries to emulate. 

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I did like Tachyon's stream-of-consciousness, that was probably the best part of the whole comic.  It just wasn't enough to make me think the whole thing was a work of genius...we see flickers of goodstuff, but it never really came together to the same degree as the game.

Foote wrote:

Lets keep things within some semblance of perspective here. The online comic is a suppliment for the card game and its lore, not the other way around. With that said, measuring its worth against Marvel/DC books is not exactly a fair comparison when their purpose and focus is much different. It gave life and personality to otherwise unknown static character faces printed on card stock. In that regard it was quite a successful suppliment which happened to use the narrative form that the game tries to emulate. 

I already pointed out a much more on-the-nose parallel, the Magic: the Gathering webcomics.  Those are also free, existing only to showcase characters from the card game and pander to players' desire for story, and the first couple are not especially good either; it took them a while to hit their stride, but eventually they really took off.  (Unfortunately, I think the era has passed due to fickle management and poor finances, but it was great while it lasted.)  With luck, the same thing may happen here.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

The comic was as good as it really needed to be given that it was a free stretch reward done to show appreciation to the fans for donating so much. If they ever did do a serious publication run or a full story arc though, I would probably be much more judgemental and demand more of the content.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

danmarshall14
danmarshall14's picture

Envisioner wrote:

I already pointed out a much more on-the-nose parallel, the Magic: the Gathering webcomics.  Those are also free, existing only to showcase characters from the card game and pander to players' desire for story, and the first couple are not especially good either; it took them a while to hit their stride, but eventually they really took off.  (Unfortunately, I think the era has passed due to fickle management and poor finances, but it was great while it lasted.)  With luck, the same thing may happen here.

How many people were working on the MTG webcomics though?  Keep in mind again, the F4A was the work of one artist whose primary concerns were (and are) to make their card game as great as possible and to help run an entire business. The F4A web comic was, considering how large his work load must have been during the time, a side-project to serve as a little reward for kickstarter backers.  I'm sure the webartists for MTG were not co-founders of the company, doing some art in their limited free time; they were likely hired on to do the comics and only that.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

If they do start doing comics more often they may even need to hire another artist or so, ones that could mimic Adam's art style. There's already 1 person on BGG making custom decks that seems similar to his art style.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe