The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Collecting the Comics

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
Collecting the Comics

I have had an idea kicking around for a little while. I'm ashamed to say that it's the sort of thing that wouldn't ever happen if I didn't just sit down and do it, but that I never get around to it. So, rather than letting this idea fall away, I'm going to put it out here for anybody to pick up.

Between the Writer's Room series, the OblivAeon event narrative, and the various self-contained stories we've heard in character episodes...Christopher and Adam have described the outlines for a lot of comics. Enough that I was thinking we could create wiki pages for them!

I had in mind a page for each comic issue that Christopher and Adam have told us something about, listing as much of the following as we have:

• The title, issue number, and date
  • The cover
  • Characters
  • Locations/environments
  • A plot summary
  • Crossover events the issue is involved with
  • Notable continuity events (costume changes, scars, friendships, first appearances, ...)

We could also make an index page, linking to all the individual issue pages, of course.

Like I said, I had this idea and thought it would be straightforward to go through the Writer's Room episodes, listen to the brief summary that C&A gave at the end of the creative work, and take quick notes. But it turns out that they don't actually give a summary for most of the Writer's Room issues! Figuring out the final issue content will take listening through the whole episode, making sure to record only the final decisions.

Since several Letters Page listeners seem to be making their way through a second or third listen of all the episodes, I figured - why not just toss out the sketch of the idea? At the very least, it would be a great way to collect together all Adam's amazing covers on the Sentinels wiki.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Collecting the covers, if nothing else, sounds like a worthy endeavor. :)

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Uh... I've actually been working on something for the wiki quietly in the background. Here's a quick draft version of one of them.

Justice Comics

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

Also, my list of covers that exist so far:

Hero Achievement PDF

Justice Comics #102, October '48 (cover lists July)

Indestructible Bunker #1, November '52 (no cover date, anachronistic)

Dark Watch Annual #2, no cover date, presumed to be in 2000 or 2001 (Mignola-inspired art)

Prime Wardens #1, January '86 (cover says April, presuming vol. 1 due to Xtreme-style outfits)

Freedom Five Annual #6, August '62 (First Appearance of NightMist, no cover date, anachronistic)

Prime Wardens #25, January '88 (assuming vol. 1 due to Dark Visionary,  no cover date, anachronistic)

Villain Challenge PDF

Freedom Four Annual #1, August '57 (no cover date, anachronistic)

Freedom Four #241, May '70 (no cover date, anachronistic, possibly wrong issue for Citizen Dawn origin)

Freedom Five #505, May '92 (no cover date, anachronistic - Invasion Day moved back to start in FF 440 in '86)

Baptism by Fire #4, October '94 (no cover date, possibly anachronistic)

Freedom Five Annual #11, June '90 (no cover date, anachronistic, Slaughterhouse Six)

America's Finest Legacy #202, October '88 (no cover date, anachronistic, Iron Legacy stuff)

The Trial of Baron Blade, August '88 (no cover date, anachronistic)

Sentinel Tactics Scenario Books

America's Finest Legacy #12, November '20 (Vertex, vol. 2)

Freedom Five #13, June '20 (Vertex, vol. 2)

Freedom Five #36, May '22 (Vertex, vol. 2)

Beacon #13, November '21 (Vertex, cover date May)

OblivAeon ARG/Expansion

Freedom Five Annual #29, March '14

Freedom Five #767, March '14

Dark Watch #7, January '00 (anachronistic as this has to represent vol. 1)

Freedom Five #783, July '15 (could actually represent #773)

Prime Wardens #52, October '15 (vol. 2)

Southwest Sentinels #30, August '13

Dark Watch #18, June '16 (vol. 2)

Prime Wardens #60, June '16 (vol. 2)

Cosmic Concurrence #24, August '12 (has to be wrong considering Scion's Aid, #44 would be right at the end of '15)

OblivAeon one shot, physical book, presumably January '16

RPG

Starter Kit

Freedom Five #801, January '17

Freedom Five #802, February '17

Justice Comics #470, January '17

Tome of the Bizarre #86, January '17 (vol. 4)

Prime Wardens #67, January '17 (vol. 2)

Freedom Five #803, March '17

Convention One Shots

Legacy #1, May '17

Daybreak #7, November '17

Core Book Adventures

Daybreak #4, August '17

Tome of the Bizarre #7, November '17 (vol. 5)

Core Book Art

Sentinels of Freedom #1, May '17

Letters Page

Cosmic Contest, May '15 (Episode 47, technically for an unsuccessful Kickstarter and so possibly non-canonical)

Justice Comics #144, April '52 (Episode 81, made prior to use here, so possibly non-canonical)

Shear Force (Episode 116 - honorable mention, it's a rough sketch without comics publisher branding/issue number)

Writer's Room Covers

Freedom Four #88, August '57 (Episode 117)

Disparation #1, April '87 (Episode 119, vol. 1)

The Guise Book #37 January '15 (Episode 120)

Disparation #134, October '13 (Episode 123, vol. 2)

Disparation #50, October '06 (Episode 126, vol. 2)

Deepest Space #1, March '15 (Episode 128)

Cosmic Tales #251, November '61 (Episode 129, vol. 1)

Cosmic Tales #180, February '85 (Episode 130, vol. 2)

Cosmic Tales #181, March '85 (Episode 130, vol. 2)

Tome of the Bizarre #9, December '88 (Episode 131, vol. 3)

Disparation #74, October '08 (Episode 132, vol. 2)

America's Finest Legacy #236, August '91 (Episode 133)

Disparation #4, January '88 (Episode 134, vol. 1)

Mystery Comics #109, November '84 (Episode 135, vol. 1)

Tome of the Bizarre #61, April '93 (Episode 137, vol. 3)

Dark Watch #121, July '09 (Episode 138, vol. 1)

Mystery Comics #476, April '13 (Episode 140, vol. 2)

RevoCorp Presents #23, November '13 (Episode 141)

Cosmic Tales #541, March '15 (Episode 143, vol. 2)

Cosmic Tales #527, April '99 (Episode 144, vol. 2)

Fanatic 2 #32, June '04 (Episode 145, vol. 2)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Nice! Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking about for the summary page. For individual issues the only thing that's really missing is a plot summary, which would be extremely cool now that we have several.

The King of the...

That sounds like a massive undertaking.  Thankfully, we are massive nerds with a deep and abiding love of an entirely fictitious comic book publisher. Assuming someone wants to do the heavy lifting of setting up such a wiki, adding the needed content shouldn't be that hard.  

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The King of the Jackalopes wrote:
That sounds like a massive undertaking.  Thankfully, we are massive nerds with a deep and abiding love of an entirely fictitious comic book publisher. Assuming someone wants to do the heavy lifting of setting up such a wiki, adding the needed content shouldn't be that hard.

Fortunately the wiki part is already done and WT's been putting up his notes, too:

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

darrenwatts

Hey gang! Just wanted you to know that the last chapter of the History of Sentinel Comics is an Overstreet Guide to collecting Sentinel's comics, listing every title ever published and the value of each issue, with notes on significant ones. It's enormous. dw

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Looking forward to it

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

FWIW I finally got around to the "collecting the covers into a gallery" part of it: https://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Category:Comic_Covers

The individual Podcast Episode pages for Writer's Room episodes now have the matching cover displayed too. Example: https://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Podcasts/Episode_149

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Very nice! This gave me a great chance to go through and revisit a lot of the covers I’ve loved from the Letters Page. The Guise one is particularly good :D

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yes, that work was worth it just to get all the covers in one place! Associating each Writers' Room cover with the podcast episode is also an excellent step forward.

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

All the covers that have been released so far (that I'm aware of) other than the two in the core RPG book (which I haven't gotten the go-ahead to include yet since it's only pre-release for Kickstarter backers at this point) are now in that wiki gallery that Jeysie linked.