The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

City of Heroes?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
SuperRick
SuperRick's picture
City of Heroes?

Did anyone here ever play City of Heroes back in the day?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Never played it.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I played it for a few months before WoW came out (then never looked back).  I enjoyed it.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Vox

I started playing it summer of '07 (just after Issue 9 went live) and kept a sub straight up until the end.  I was @Winter. on Pinnacle server.  Damn I miss it.  I am optimistic about City of Titans though!

SuperRick
SuperRick's picture

Vox wrote:

I started playing it summer of '07 (just after Issue 9 went live) and kept a sub straight up until the end.  I was @Winter. on Pinnacle server.  Damn I miss it.  I am optimistic about City of Titans though!

Me too.  I loved playing that game!  SOTM reminds me of it sometimes.

Vox

SuperRick wrote:

Me too.  I loved playing that game!  SOTM reminds me of it sometimes.

Yep.  I am an all-around superhero fan.  My board-game-obsessed friend introduced me to Sentinals back in August, and I fell in love with it.  A few players, teaming up against big bad villains/monsters, some of whom have their own minions?  Exactly like City of Heroes. 

Been using it to get my superhero gaming fix lately, haha.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I am very sad that I entirely missed the boat on City of Heroes (and Villains), though at least that meant I wasn't bereaved when it vanished.  I did have friends who did it, and got a glimpse of the screen; looked quite awesome, but I've never been current on video games (to me, the cutting edge is Myst 3).

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I can remember CoH coming out - it was back in my EQ days. Didn't play it, but some people in my EQ guild did.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

SuperRick
SuperRick's picture

Envisioner wrote:

I am very sad that I entirely missed the boat on City of Heroes (and Villains), though at least that meant I wasn't bereaved when it vanished.  I did have friends who did it, and got a glimpse of the screen; looked quite awesome, but I've never been current on video games (to me, the cutting edge is Myst 3).

CoH was awesome.  I've seen nothing like it when it comes to customizing the look of your character, and you really feel like a super hero with a clearly defined role.  Unless you were a scrapper or something.  They did a lot of stuff, but weren't experts at anything in particular - best for soloing or mid-sized teams.  Funniest thing I ever saw was a team of 7 scrappers go into a building and get wiped out in less than 10 minutes.

I played it nearly every day for 2 years with my wife, and then it just went by the way side.  Since then I've always looked for a good super hero replacement game that could do the same thing. 

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I loved the amazing customization options, but I always wished they'd done a little more.  Each of the character types (magic, tech, etc.) all pretty much felt the same to play.  Would have been nice to have starting questlines like in SWTOR that focused on your "class" so that it felt different playing a magic hero rather than a mutant hero.  I also always wished there was more to the game than just standing around in costume.  It would have been great to have villains attack while you were at your secret identity's job, or having your significant other kidnapped, etc.  As it was, the missions and environments had a sameness to them that got old after a while.

Vox

Spiff wrote:

I loved the amazing customization options, but I always wished they'd done a little more.  Each of the character types (magic, tech, etc.) all pretty much felt the same to play.  Would have been nice to have starting questlines like in SWTOR that focused on your "class" so that it felt different playing a magic hero rather than a mutant hero.  I also always wished there was more to the game than just standing around in costume.  It would have been great to have villains attack while you were at your secret identity's job, or having your significant other kidnapped, etc.  As it was, the missions and environments had a sameness to them that got old after a while.

Until when did you play?  The last year or two of its existence implemented much of exactly what you are saying.  And actually, the initial contact that you received based on your origin (Magic, Tech, etc.) did start a string of story arcs based around your origin (tech fighting bots and soldiers, magic fighting voodoo and mages, etc.).  The design flaw was that, at a certain point, the contacts also introduced you to other contacts, contacts that everyone had access to, which usually ended up being a congregating point for players at which point they would say, "Let's team up" and before you know it, you've ripped through 5 levels and blown your chance to complete the older story arcs.  (That is, chronologically.  You could go back later in the game via certain methods.) 

The option was there, but it definitely was hard to see/complete at the early point in your player's career.  They rectified that about a year before they were shut down.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I think I only played for about the first six months.  I remember it exactly as you describe it -- my magic hero would tend to have more missions vs. the cultists at first, but after a very short time he'd have picked up enough random quests so that the entire thing felt kind of random very quickly, not tailored to my hero's origin story.  Good to hear that they managed to bring it back towards that original goal eventually.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Used to play CoH a lot myself, kept coming back to the game over and over. It's the main reason I bought a liftime sub when the company that created CoH made Champions Online. Now I mainly use CO to make custom characters for SotM, great way to get screenshots to use as art when not a talented artist. I'm much more technical, like with my templates, even began working on making them ready to send to a printer more easily.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Koga wrote:
Now I mainly use CO to make custom characters for SotM

Yeah, before I entirely lapsed playing Second Life, it had basically become my CAD?CAM program (well not so much the CAM part), in service to even geekier hobbies than pretending to hook up with space-elf catgirls and whatnot.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Used to play Second Life myself for a while, was somewhat able to understand the programming language it uses, since I have an Associate's degree in that field.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe