The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

City of Heroes

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
GuiltTrip
GuiltTrip's picture
City of Heroes

As I figure a fair number of the people here are comic book fans, I was curious as to how many of you have played the soon to be shutdown, City of Heroes?

I've been playing it since launch, and will miss it come December. Most of my friends there call me "GTG," for one of my more infamous/entertaining characters, Guilt Trip Girl. I used to team quite a bit with a Freight Train back in the day, and his Brute alter-ego "Fright Train," so seeing the picture for the Vengeance art brought up fond memories from the early years.

lugaru
lugaru's picture

I played it briefly... wow... YEARS ago. I would say around when they added villains.

That is when I created my main "hero" that I put in every game (Champions Online, DCU ONLINE) called The Vocalist... a hard rocking, vocal blasting hero who is not exactly sure how he got his powers... given how much hard partying he did in the 80's.

TheSoundOfTrees

I didn't know the game was shut down. It makes me really sad. I played for years, only drifting away when my taste for computer games began to fade. It is still the MMORPG I remember the most fondly, and in fact I was planning to try to convince the members of my wife's WoW guild to try it.

As a former computer game designer, I consider it as one of the most intelligently designed MMORPGs : the possibility to have characters of different levels playing together, the ability to "travel back in time" and play at a lower level, and so on, were an incredibly interesting and apropriate design.

Adieu, Gravity Girl.

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

Greonhal
Playtester

I played it for about a year when it first came out. It's the only muhmorpuhguh that I actually enjoyed. I always meant to go back and try out some of the changes they made over the years, but never got around to it. Oh well.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I played it when it first came out but then switched to WoW when that came out, and never looked back.  CoH was very fun at the time.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

GuiltTrip
GuiltTrip's picture

Well if you remember your login and password, and still have the client around, you can check out all the additions over the years (it has been free to play for about a year now). That is until Dec. 1st of course when the servers are shutdown. It is amazing how much it has improved over the years, and I obviously found it pretty good out of the box.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I can remember CoH coming out - several people left EQ for a while in order to play it.I wasn't one of them, though. It sounded like an okay game at the time but as I was into EQ, it didn't really interest me. After I fizzled out of EQ I haven't played an MMORPG since (except for a few weeks of Runescape a couple of years ago, if that counts). I'm now waiting for EQC to finish development so I can play EQ like it used to be in the good old days before it become watered down and massively unbalanced with about five million expansions :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)