The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Christopher tweets OblivAeon playtest image

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

speedyolrac wrote:

I always understood that Legado was an ambassador, especially when used like that...

I think you might be thinking of "delegado" as ambassador (delegate). 

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Jeysie wrote:
La Comodora + Legacy teamup = all of my yes, if that's really the thing.

I think that that is meant to be an alternate universe Legacy / La Comodora hybrid. We're meant to do the teaming up on our own.

Teaming up on our own. Now that's an oxymoron if i ever heard one!

anyone else got any lore theories? I love everything we come up with!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Quote:

El Legado Mejor! (The Best Legacy)

It should really be "El Mejor Legado!"

Mejor is a limiting adjective and as such it goes before the noun in Spanish. Other examples: mi mejor amigo (my best friend), último lugar (last place), primera base (first base). 

Hopefully a playtester can comment on this before this goes to production. 

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

jagarciao, you are totally correct.

¡Gracias!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

¡De nada!

Just want to make sure this game continues to be El Mejor Juego del Multiverso. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

So, I know this is in playtest, or I'd raise the question in the rules forum, but OblivAeon Shard's "Double all damage dealt by your hero" seems like it will need some clarification.  The munchkin reading would be "Add your base damage and your damage bonuses, double that, then apply damage reduction".  That seems silly.  A simpler way of phrasing it might be, "Whenever your hero would deal damage, double that damage."  This makes Absolute Zero and Dr. Medico sad but is easy to phrase and easy to understand.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

I don't see what's "munchkin" about it. Look at the other powers on those cards -- they're supposed to be extremely powerful.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I think it makes Absolute Zero pretty happy, really.

With +1 damage and all his Equipments, he hits himself for 1 fire damage. This becomes 1 + 1 - 1 = 1, x 2 = 2. Then he deals himself 2 cold, + 1, + 1 (Apertures) +1 (Cryo Chamber) x2 = 10. So he heals a net of 8. Not too shabby.

Starting with 2, he takes 4, then heals 14. Net heal 10.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Never go full munchkin.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

McBehrer wrote:

I think it makes Absolute Zero pretty happy, really.

With +1 damage and all his Equipments, he hits himself for 1 fire damage. This becomes 1 + 1 - 1 = 1, x 2 = 2. Then he deals himself 2 cold, + 1, + 1 (Apertures) +1 (Cryo Chamber) x2 = 10. So he heals a net of 8. Not too shabby.

Starting with 2, he takes 4, then heals 14. Net heal 10.

See, this is exactly why I think this will need a clarification.  The "munchkin" interpretation (add, multiply, subtract) would have him deal ((1+1)x2-1) = 3 fire damage and healing himself for ((3+1+1+1)x2) = 14.  The method you describe is (add/subtract), then multiply.  Mathematical order of operations would make it (1x2+1-1) = 2 damage but (2x2+3) = 7 healing.  "If you would deal damage, double it" would make it 2 damage, but only 5 healing.  I think those are all valid interpretations and the card should try to answer it before print.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

morph147

When I read it I read it to mean whatever damage your hero does, then double it so (2+1+1)x2

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I think the standard reading would be that you can apply these kinds of modifiers in any order you like, as in the video game. This means that you would add in all the bonuses, double it, then subtract the negatives. (Aka, munchkin rules.)

I also don't think it's necessarily overpowered.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I take it more as needed to be as overpowered as possible (for god's sake, the heroes can get a Devastating Aurora that wipes out Aeon Men? I don't even know how dangerous Aeon Men are and I'm agog at how OP that is!) because Oblivaeon is just going to be that hard.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, what Oblivaeon has a million hitpoints or something? :O

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ameena wrote:

I really doubt they would do that. 

Imagine how many tokens that would take! 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Rabit wrote:

Ameena wrote:

I really doubt they would do that. Imagine how many tokens that would take! 

So does he have 999,999 HP?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Challenge mode: At the start of the game, put all HP tokens on Oblivaeon. No one else gets any. Good luck, suckers!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, since I use dice instead of tokens, that hadn't occurred to me. But maybe they gave him a million hp anyway. And made him hit for a million damage so he just one-shots everything until you do...stuff...and then you win. Somehow.

Okay so I have played against him once and it took about four hours. It was also probably about a year ago so the fight will have vastly changed since then. Hopefully it takes less time to get through a game now ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I'm expecting probably a two-hour game on average, which is a bit much for Sentinels, comparatively, but not undoable. (I mean, usually I'd play two or three games in the same time frame.)

Of course, last night I had a dream that I was running around trying to get people interested in an Oblivaeon fight, while trying to figure out both how to set him up and how he played. Highlights included five numbered tokens that told you how much HP he had at any given point in the fight (it went something like 72, 55, 103, 40 and 132), a stack of ten cards I could find no use for, and the character card for the space pirate captain who moves closer to Oblivaeon over the course of the fight, both helping and hindering the heroes, and I just could not figure out how 'movement' was defined in the game!

I think I'm fairly well excited. :B

UXM266
UXM266's picture

I'm just imagining what it will look like on mobile! I was worried about Vengeance format, but it works incredibly well! OblivAeon format will be spectacularly unique. 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

Of course, last night I had a dream that I was running around trying to get people interested in an Oblivaeon fight, while trying to figure out both how to set him up and how he played.

Unrelated/Related: I had a dream last night that I got a bunch of SotM stuff in cardboard boxes and metal tins(Much like the one for 'Are you Mental?', a neat little game by Robert Turk) which were open on my doorstep with a bunch of loose cards inside them. The cover on one of the tins had Legacy and Baron Blade facing opposite directions, but Blade was wearing a Legacy-suit with a red nuclear symbol on his chest. Legacy was all scowly and loocking back at Baron Blade, and Blade was making his trademark 'Yeah, what you gonna do about it?' look back at him. There were other characters, but I only noticed those two.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I SO want "El Mejor Legado!" to NOT be a La Captian/Legacy mix, but to be a masked Luchador! Or maybe a Matador!

To me that would be MUCH cooler!

Meemitone

With all the scions revealed since this came out, I notice there's a "Inevitable Destruction Track" on the side that goes from 6 to 0 (perhaps beyond?) but that suggests that something happens at or after six counters on the Inevitable Destruction card mentioned on some scions. Probably related to removing environments from the game?

Pages