The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Character Roster

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester
Character Roster

Whenever I'm teaching this game to new people, I'm always unsure how to go about introducing the enourmous allotment of characters Sentinels has accumulated. Some people I see take a "Who's your favorite superhero? I'll find someone similar for you," approach, but what I'd really like is a way to just hold up a single sheet with pictures of all the heroes (and probably their complexity), like a character select screen in fighting games. The Hero Comparisons sections of the booklets are nice, but they only give the name and I have to show them four different booklets at once to get all of them. Has anyone made something like this, now that we have basically all the heroes? I might give it a try myself. I need an excuse to reinstall the Adobe Creative Cloud anyway.

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Spiff has something in his print and play accessories. I don't remember what exactly it includes, but it might be what you are looking for

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I've tried the "favorite superhero" approach myself. Normally, I'd just lay out the first ten heroes in the base game (minus Absolute Zero, plus Expatriette, since she's fairly easy to play), but I had good luck with a friend who answered "Scarlet Witch" and really took to playing Nightmist as her first character. So don't discount the gamers around you!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I usually ask for favorite superheroes, too, though if I don't think that's a good approach for the player I usually simply offer Legacy, Tachyon, Haka, or Wraith. That approach backfired on me last night when the answer I got was "Spider-Man," though. Uh...

So if I'm not mistaken, the ultimate collector's case will include a list (with complexity) of all the heroes and villains. Anybody else remember that?

fabikw

I use the favorite hero approach with people who are somewhat new to gaming.

With people who are experienced but not with Sentinels I usually ask them what playing style they prefer (attack, glass cannon, support, mixed)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

In general, I describe the more introductory characters as who they are and let folks pick someone that catches their attention. For example, "Haka is an ancient Maori warrior who loves beating down evil. In his off time, he's a kindergarten teacher." or "Fanatic is an avenging angel, with the wings, sword, and attitude to prove it."

This lets the player make a correlation in their head, if they want, but avoids outright comparing characters as that doesn't tend (in my experience) to go as well (as theirs expectations that the Sentinels character _is_ going to be like the character they have in their head.

It also helps (again, in my experience) to put them into the thematic nature of the game.

If folks are more hard-core gamers, I'll include some mechanical descriptions so they have an idea of how the deck feels (as fabikw described). For example, I had some folks ask for a demo who were talking about being Magic players. One person said they love control decks, so I talked about Visionary and they jumped at the chance.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

So if I'm not mistaken, the ultimate collector's case will include a list (with complexity) of all the heroes and villains. Anybody else remember that?

Yes I believe that is correct.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I usually hand the boxes over to a newer person and ask them the 'super hero you like' question, then if I can find a good match I'll pul out the deck(s) and give them a short synopsis of the deck's main mechanic. Sometimes I'll stick to the base set to have it not be as overwhelming though.

Alex
Alex's picture
Playtester

Last night I posted this because I was about to teach someone the game. I asked her what her favorite superhero or superpower was, but didn't really have one so I just took out all the complexity 1 decks and put the dividers on top of each (if I were to make a character select screen-type thing, I'd use those pictures in the dividers). She looked through the one that caught her eye and played as The Wraith. It worked out pretty well; it turned out she likes throwing knives in her spare time (I'd forgotten she gave some throwing knives to my brother as a gift) and she got to land the finishing blow on Grand Warlord Voss with an Inventory Barrage.

Only issue with this strategy is it will be a little awkward to pull out every deck.

I make games! Here's one of them! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626169

BoardGameGeek interviewed me about my contribution to Shattered Timelines, Kismet! http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/17671/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-shat...

carnilius
Playtester

I keep my foil cards separate in a card binder, and plan to use those for this purpose!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Spiff has something in his print and play accessories. I don't remember what exactly it includes, but it might be what you are looking for

This is the quick-reference sheet (avail. on my site) that my group uses as a menu to choose decks whenever we play.  There are so many available decks by now, having a visual aid like this really helps.  I'm not sure how much it'll help someone who doesn't already know who all the people in the pictures are, though.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

carnilius wrote:

I keep my foil cards separate in a card binder, and plan to use those for this purpose!

Man, I've GOTTA adopt this method. I currently have my foils sleeved and stored in the box they came in, so they're separate and cared for since they're special. Problem is, it takes a while to look for a specific hero.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

A 4 pocket per page card book is perfect.  Mine are sorted by team mostly, and time to pick heroes has dropped substantially since I started doing it that way.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

seesome
seesome's picture

A while back I put together a set of one-line summaries of the SotM heroes to let new folks pick their character without automatically going down the "who's your favorite hero?" route.  It also highlights which one I recommend for novice players:

SEESOME’S SUMMARIES

One-line Guides to the Sentinels of the Multiverse Heroes

ABSOLUTE ZERO - Thermodynamic Hero. His cryo-suit keeps him alive & lets him manipulate cold and fire.

ARGENT ADEPT - A magical bard. His instruments can do almost anything when he has the right melodies.

BUNKER* - A military tank-suit. He builds up devastating weapon combos, but they can take time to deploy.

CAPTAIN COSMIC - Wielder of an alien crystal. He creates temporary energy constructs to aid his allies.

CHRONO-RANGER - A time-traveling old-west bounty-hunter. Six-guns or blasters, whatever does the job.

EXPATRIETTE* - An expert sharpshooter. She uses her guns, RPGs, & high-tech ammo instead of powers.

FANATIC* - An angelic warrior. She wields divine powers, which can damage her as well as her enemies.

GUISE - A metafictional goofball. He can take over the powers and equipment of other heroes.

HAKA* - An immortal brawler. His abilities can prevent damage, heal himself, & boost his attacks.

KNYFE* - A secret agent with energy blades. Her military & espionage training give her tactical advantages.

LEGACY* - A patriotic hero. He has flight & super-strength, but his greatest power is inspiring his team.

MISTER FIXER - A martial arts master and auto mechanic. He has a wide variety of improvised weapons.

NATURALIST - A shifter. He can become a gazelle, rhino, or crocodile; each with different abilities.

NIGHTMIST - Mistress of black magic. She dishes out lots of Infernal damage -- to herself as well as others

OMNITRON-X - A robot from the future. It can upgrade itself with various offensive & defensive mods.

PARSE - An archer who can sense hidden patterns. Her powers detect and exploit enemy weaknesses.

RA* - An archaeologist who wields the Staff of Ra. His firebolts deal large amounts of damage.

SCHOLAR - A mystic. He uses the Philosopher’s Stone to heal himself, alter his body, and redirect damage.

SETBACK - An unlucky hero. His risky behavior can turn misfortunes into boosts when his luck changes.

SKY-SCRAPER - A size-shifting alien. She can shrink & use gadgets to disrupt enemies or grow to bash them.  

TACHYON* - A speedster. She starts weak, but her attacks get more powerful as her velocity increases.

TEMPEST* - An aquatic alien. M’kk uses weather-control powers to damage all enemies or aid teammates.

THE SENTINELS - A mini-team of four heroes. Weak individually, together they have a multitude of abilities.

THE WRAITH* - A dark vigilante. Her gadgets deal damage, shield herself, and control the battlefield.

UNITY - A technopath. She can turn scrap metal into robot golems with a wide variety of powers.

VISIONARY - A psychic. She can control environments and enemies, or just hit them with mental blasts.

* = Best choices for beginning players

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I wouldn't describe the Sentinels as having "a multitude of abilities."  Most of their deck involves dealing or mitigating damage, with some card draw.  Writhe's powers and signature card are the only things that extend beyond that.  I find them one of the least versatile heroes in the game.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

seesome
seesome's picture

Yeah, that's fair.  When I originally whote that, I hadn't played the sentinels all that much.  I do love playing Team S, but yeah they're mostly damage dealing and mitigation.  Today, I'd probably write something along the lines of "A mini-team of four heroes. Weak individually, but they can work together to combine their actions."

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

What's going to be weird is describing the Void Guard. They're not so weak individually anymore, but good luck trying to explain that to a new player :/

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Void Guard- The Sentinels team after each takes control of a OblivAeon Shard. Each one gains incredible power, becoming capable solo heroes in each's own right.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Well said!

Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

For the purposes of introducing a completely new player/someone unfamiliar with Sentinels lore to the game, I'd actually take the reverse approach: List the four Void Guard characters by their role/abilities, and then you can list The Sentinels as a "these four heroes working together."

Using a real comic example: Each member of the Fantastic 4 has <X> power and contributes <Y> as a character. The Fantastic 4 is them working together as a team.