The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Challenge Mode is now in the App.

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Challenge Mode is now in the App.

Let the pain and insanity begin.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Also we get to see Chokepoint's Challenge mode (Steel-Singer). It makes her much tougher from the looks of it.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The challenge mode rules for Chokepoint and Heroic Infinitor were posted on the Wiki http://sentinelswiki.com/index.php?title=Challenges after Handelabra showed them on Stream.   Also of note some Challenge Mode text was altered a bit.  Most notably Ambuscade since his existing rules could cause scenarios which were almost endless loops if Ambuscade couldn't  deal damage. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

And Termi-Nation variants are now discoverable!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

And we can't forget the new achievements!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

I'm so happy Ambuscade got that change.... it was one of only a few challenge modes I really didn't like.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I STILL say the Omnitron challenge modes need to be flipped around. Cosmic is almost unbeatable at H=10 (plus there are not 10 components for the start of the game) and Vanilla doesn't really deal with Components that much.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000

Base Omnitron still might need a different challenge mode but I wouldn't give that to Cosmic Omnitron.  It's flip side is more dangerous and making Components more difficult to destroy mean it's unlikely it would flip.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ok, but he can absolutely DESTROY you first turn with H=10. I think they just need to be revisited altogether.

The components themselves are a nightmare, but then if it plays a Sedative Flechettes or an Automaton? Or both? You'd might as well just start over.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000

That's up to Christopher and Adam.   Until they change it that's what'll it be in the video game.  I agree Cosmic Omnitron is brutal but it can be done.  Mostly you just need to stop or highly manipulate the villain deck and bring along Omnitron-X so he doesn't flip.  

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

It would be ok if it added H-2, maybe. 4, 6, and 8.

For Omnitron I, maybe something like: "At the end of the villain turn, if Omnitron is Rampaging, discard the top card of the villain deck. (This fuels the trash for the Self-aware side next turn.) If it is Self-aware, play the top card of the villain deck.

Or how about this?

At the start of the villain turn (which would be after the flip) if Omnitron is Rampaging, play the top card of the villain deck. If it is Self-aware, reveal the top card of the villain deck. If the revealed card is a drone or a component, discard it. Otherwise, play it.

-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

That's up to Christopher and Adam.   Until they change it that's what'll it be in the video game.  I agree Cosmic Omnitron is brutal but it can be done.  Mostly you just need to stop or highly manipulate the villain deck and bring along Omnitron-X so he doesn't flip.  

Oh, yeah, I know. I've done ALL of them on Advanced Challenge Mode. (Except Chokepoint, because she didn't exist at the time. This was when Challenge mode first came out, while WotC was still in playtesting.)

-- Trajector

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Personally, I wish Cosmic Omnitron and Voss would be altered a bit, but otherwise think these Challenge Modes are really fun.... look forward to trying them all in the App.

Powerhound_2000

Voss's would be more of an issue if he flipped regularly but often he might flip just once or twice a game.  Though it is nasty when you get one of the Spaceships or Forced Deployments as part of the flip.  

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Just did Chokepoint. First time I got rekt, second time was a cakewalk. Team composition really matters!

(I don't know why, but the timestamp for the picture says I took it in 1969. Possible bug?)

Attachment(s): 

-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

My Sentinels Team was Normal Mainstay and Writhe, Adamant Idealist and Dr. Medico.

-- Trajector

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

I'm so hyped!

Or, I would be if I could find my Ipad... ugh.

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

waedens
Playtester

I went through and defeated all the Villians and their variants in Challenge mode, but when I went to look at the achievement it says I am only 75% of the way there. Do I need to defeat the team Mode Villians too? If it didn't count some of my games is there a way to know who I need to repeat? I want to move on to the ultimate mode achievement, but feel I need to finish this on first.

Powerhound_2000

The current achievements only care about the core game villains.  If you somehow missed one doing Ultimate counts for the Challenge Mode achievement as well.  

dragen3

Good to know that it only counts core villans and that if I just do then all on Ultimate I will also get the Challenge Mode Acheivement. 

So far I have dealt with Baron Blade.

waedens
Playtester

Wow. I went through ALL of the villians. It was fun, but i was worried about finding the ones I missed.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Huh, I hadn't thought about Ultimate counting for Challenge as well.  Guess I could have done it in 4 less games, but still, it was fun :)

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

We played Challenge Mode Omnitron 5 times at home (H=4) and got wrecked every time.  As a result, the Statistics Project currently shows him as the toughest villain overall.  Let's get more data!

I think 4 is the worst, it's enough to get out all the components, and the damage is plenty.  I finally beat him in the app using the cheesiest party I could assemble: Greatest Legacy, TLT, Scholar, Haka, Wraith.  If not for Sedative Flechettes the round I played Ground Pound, I would have taken almost no damage past round 1.  As it was, everyone ended in single digit HP, with Haka at 1.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

Sounds more like you played Challenge Mode Cosmic Omnitron not Challenge Mode Omnitron

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
Sounds more like you played Challenge Mode Cosmic Omnitron not Challenge Mode Omnitron
Sorry, yes, that's what I meant.  Challenge Mode normal Omnitron was meh.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

I only beat Challenge Mode Cosmic Omnitron in a game where I used  Omnitron-X, Visionary, and Legacy to prevent Cosmic Omnitron from flipping and playing any cards.  Brought along Chrono Ranger and Ra to speed up the damage.  

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I got both of those achievements in 4 games. I'm working my way through beating all of them on Ultimate; so far I've beaten those 4, Chokepoint, and Spite.

-- Trajector

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

McBehrer wrote:

Yeah, I got both of those achievements in 4 games. I'm working my way through beating all of them on Ultimate; so far I've beaten those 4, Chokepoint, and Spite.

Spite is tough! Bomber Blade is also surprisingly difficult. I'm doing my best to keep it random, except in those rar cases where it's too hard (Dreamer, CHairman, and Miss Information)

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Both achievements beaten.  I used one of my favorite teams, which I like to call Ready... Aim... SHOOOOOOOT!  America's Finest Legacy, Parse, Hunted Naturalist, Chrono-Ranger, and KNYFE.

Maxim 37:  There is no overkill.  There is only 'Open Fire' and 'Time to Reload'

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Blackfang108
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Both achievements beaten.  I used one of my favorite teams, which I like to call Ready... Aim... SHOOOOOOOT!  America's Finest Legacy, Parse, Hunted Naturalist, Chrono-Ranger, and KNYFE. Maxim 37:  There is no overkill.  There is only 'Open Fire' and 'Time to Reload'

I love that comic.

And that Maxim.

And the picture.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Wow.  I just faced down Ultimate Ambuscade... and saw neither hide nor hair of any traps or his cloaking device.

He did start out with 2 Reactive Platings, so that was fun.  But all in all, it could have been a lot worse.

Powerhound_2000

Ultimate or Challenge Mode Miss Information has been the hardest to deal with so far for me.  

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Ultimate or Challenge Mode Miss Information has been the hardest to deal with so far for me.  

Took me forever on this one.

[Spoilers]

Used Youngest Legacy, Dark Visionary, and Omnitron-X to keep her devk permanently locked down with Takedown and Mental Diversion (or whatever it is called).  But I had to start with those and Ms. Information had to get 2 clues out as soon as possible and no more.  She also got out the Cat Stuck in a Tree and Old Lady in the Street.  Young Legacy (YL)had to get Next Evolution fast to be able to ignore cold, and Visionary used Twist the Ether on Miss Information.  Once YL got Lead from the Front, it was just a matter of time.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Powerhound_2000

I will give that a try.

Powerhound_2000

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Oof, you ain't kidding that Challenge Cosmitron is brutal -- but doable. Took a (mostly) randomized group of OX, Parse, Santa Guise, Ra and Unity against him, in Dok'Thorath. Both copies of Technological Singularity came out early enough they didn't do much damage and OX was able to get another Component into play to keep him from flipping. Parse was able to Buffer Overflow away a set of Flechettes that would've killed the team outright, and a double-play of S-84s dropped Parse and Unity down to 1 HP and a final furious round of damage (and a redirect of one of those S-84s by the total Beefcake) finished him off.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

I beat Ultimate Cosmitron without OX - my team was Legacy, ChronoRanger, Parse, Hunted Naturalist, and KNYFE in Insula Primalis. The trick is to assume that you won't survive Cosmitron's third turn, so just try and deal 100 damage in two rounds.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

so just try and deal 100 damage in two rounds.

Oh, is that all? :P

(Surprisingly, easier than one might think!)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

It really is. It takes a bit of luck, but Legacy, Parse, ChronoRanger, Naturalist, and Insula Primalis all have damage multipliers, and ChronoRanger and KNYFE can many instances of damage in a turn.

You do have to avoid the 10 hp drones and the Disruptive Fletchettes, but that's about all.