The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Cedistic?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
BaloTheJester
BaloTheJester's picture
Cedistic?

Hi everybody,

My girlfriend and I got stuck on the name of the card "Cedistic Dissonant" and we're having trouble figuring out what it means. I've done my usual due diligence pile of searches and I just can't find the word anywhere.  Is it a typo, perhaps?  I don't mean to be calling anyone out for anything, I just really hate not knowing what a word means. :)

“We've always known we'd eventually be called upon to open our shirts and save the day, and the superhero was a crude, hopeful attempt to talk about how we all might feel on that day of great power, and great responsibility.”
- Grant Morrison

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

The etymology of the word was actually discussed during playtesting.  If I'm remembering correctly, it was a completely new word created by Christopher, as well as being a malamanteau.  (A malamanteau is a malapropism of portmanteau, as well as a portmanteau of malapropism and portmanteau.)

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Yeah, if I remember correctly from the playtest discussion, it's a combination of Sadistic and some musical term.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

The adjective is derived from the same root as the verb "to cede".

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

BaloTheJester
BaloTheJester's picture

So it's a malamanteau meaning "something cruelly forcing you to surrender something"? That makes perfect sense in context.

“We've always known we'd eventually be called upon to open our shirts and save the day, and the superhero was a crude, hopeful attempt to talk about how we all might feel on that day of great power, and great responsibility.”
- Grant Morrison