The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Cauldron fan expansion for SotM

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester
Cauldron fan expansion for SotM

Check out BGG, there are some great fan wxpansions over there, including custom character cards that make every villain in the game vengeance style, so you aren't using the same team of villains.

The Cauldron stuff is really good, some of the decks are as good as the official ones.

NAL0781
NAL0781's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

Check out BGG, there are some great fan wxpansions over there, including custom character cards that make every villain in the game vengeance style, so you aren't using the same team of villains.The Cauldron stuff is really good, some of the decks are as good as the official ones.

I am going to have to check out the 'Vengeance' alternates.  That sounds super interesting.

Someone else mentioned it, but I would rather wait until the SOTM arc wrapsup before moving on to The Cauldron.   I don't know, I'm OCD with  stuff like that sometimes.

dorktron2000

I love the Cauldron stuff but some of the heroes are a little too strong. The environments are especially good though.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Ronway wrote:

My goal whenever I play is to end the game with the fewest hit points or the first to be incapped!

oh! so it's intentional then. I had never realised...

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

dorktron2000 wrote:

I love the Cauldron stuff but some of the heroes are a little too strong. The environments are especially good though.

And that is the exact reason why I refuse to play with custom decks in a game.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

shadowagent
shadowagent's picture

I will check out the Cauldron... 

To address what everyne else has said... I am a fan random hero/villian/envionronmental choice... I like a challenge. 

HOWEVER... in thier process to bring us a yearly big expansion when they come out they get played... a lot... then then get played out. 
As a former game reviewer for the GamingRport.Com, Scry, Game Trade.... and many others... I always liked the big expansions, but I also loved the smaller expansions that came out quicker... so the game evolution was more paced.  (my 2 cents)

I don't suffer from insanity... I actually enjoy it

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

dorktron2000 wrote:

All the more reason to bring your 2 cents on how balance could be better with those decks, I see them as a really nice project and all  input on balance has been nice to make it even better.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The cauldron is right now at a pretty good place, the heroes vary in power, but right now seem to be within the bounds of the official heroes in power levels.

The villains are a bit weak for my taste, but they are still viable.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy wrote:

The villains are a bit weak for my taste, but they are still viable.

I actually wasn't very impressed with the villains, in general. There were entertaining concepts, but that's all I get from them: a concept. They're generally not something I'd want to play more than once.

But then I do like more complex villains - possibly more complex than I should. blush

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Nothing wrong with weaker villains, I'm all for new stuff that I can actually play with less experienced people!

I find the Cauldron villains look very cool, but in practice the first three at least are less interesting to play than they look like they're going to be. I have no regrets about getting them though, and I'm fully intending to complete my set once Printer's Studio give me a good code.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

What do you mean by complexity for a villain?  like has a lot of stuff going on, or a lot of bookkeepping?

I actually like Tiamat a lot, just a straight forward damage race, sadly any of the damage prevention heroes really take them down.

The Ram could do with some work, it is close to being a really good villain, but the balance is still off.

Mostly while the Cauldron gets a lot of attention for being really good, it is just one man's work, and his bias is pretty strongly represented, and some of the decks have some flaws.

But then we see that with the official decks as well.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Personally, I'm looking for villains that provoke interesting choices. Not necessarily just "which of my powers/cards will I use to hurt them". More innate in the villain, such as effects that say I can let effect A happen or I can let effect B happen, where both are Bad Things(TM) with not-insignificant downstream impacts, and our decision will guide our chance of success. When a villain does that, I'm much more interested and invested in the game, because it's my decisions that are making a difference. (And I'll acknowledge that having interesting targets creates that kind of decision making, as you have to decide where to focus, but we already have lots of those kinds of villains.)

But that's me. smiley In no way am I saying their bad, just that they're not my preference - and we all have our preferences! wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I'm with you on that Rabit.  Those kind of villains are harder to pull off, but are a lot of fun.

I guess I lke villains that give variety, and Tiamat feels a lot diferent than the official villains, slinging damage with other annoying effects, and then the double stacking, I like it.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

phantaskippy wrote:

Mostly while the Cauldron gets a lot of attention for being really good, it is just one man's work, and his bias is pretty strongly represented, and some of the decks have some flaws.But then we see that with the official decks as well. 

It's not just one guy - his brother and his roommate are involved in the design as well iirc.

Your point still stands, but I get very few chances to correct people around here so I'm grabbing this one! ;)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

isles
Playtester

Does anyone know if the cauldron has back artwork for its deck?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Let me google that for you

This is not a crack a tyou not googling for the answer, this is a link leading to link so that the higher powers here have a degree of deniability of not seeing/being influenced by any custom decks.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, the deck back images are with the rest of the card images.