The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Cannot wait!

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
twoeyedjack
twoeyedjack's picture
Cannot wait!

I was super excited to pick up the starter kit at Gen Con first thing Thursday morning. GTG's booth was my first stop for that exact reason.

Imagine my disappointment to find out at the booth that it wasn't available. :(

My demo was on Sunday, which was awesome! Playing Tachyon who started out with AZ, only to zip off towards trouble leaving AZ no choice but to get on a bus to get down to the site was hilarious. Two hours was not enough time to appreciate everything the game has to offer, even for it being a starting kit demo.

The demo being such a good time only leaves me wanting the kit all the more. I cannot wait for this to come out, yet it will be another two or three months according to our GM. ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

If you haven't had the opportunity to play it or see anything, I can tell you first hand this is probably the best narrative superhero RPG system I've encountered. Combat is fast, deciding what to roll is in the hands of the players instead of the GM telling you what to roll, and not having to worry about rolling dice to do normal heroic things and only rolling when it really matters makes for a fantastic story-telling/roleplaying  experience. Haven't been this excited about a system since discovering Savage Worlds about ten years ago.

Ready to plunk down my cash for this. C'mon, GTG! Get it into my hands already!

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I'm also very excited, but I have some reservations that only time with the system are going to be able to settle.

Still, one of my biggest concerns (minions vs the heroes) is handled beautifully in the system which is a huge bonus for me. Plus, the artwork is gorgeous. I was able to look through the book on Sunday and the new design for Argent Adept is glorious. Definetely worth being in Jeremy's Beard Podcast, though he probably cheats and uses Void Magic to maintain it.

Now to wait to hear from GtG about why my Pre-order code isn't working when I put it in (I know they are just getting back from Gencon and it will take a while for them to sort through all the mail. I'm just bad at being patient.)

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Darn it, I was already curious about Argent's RPG look (since I already love his new Tactics look) and now you have me even MORE curious.

Since I'm not likely to have an RP group for the foreseeable future, I was really looking forward to reading through all the new artwork and lore in general.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

twoeyedjack
twoeyedjack's picture

Chaosmancer wrote:

I'm also very excited, but I have some reservations that only time with the system are going to be able to settle. Still, one of my biggest concerns (minions vs the heroes) is handled beautifully in the system which is a huge bonus for me. Plus, the artwork is gorgeous. I was able to look through the book on Sunday and the new design for Argent Adept is glorious. Definetely worth being in Jeremy's Beard Podcast, though he probably cheats and uses Void Magic to maintain it.  Now to wait to hear from GtG about why my Pre-order code isn't working when I put it in (I know they are just getting back from Gencon and it will take a while for them to sort through all the mail. I'm just bad at being patient.)

Where'd you get a Pre-Order code? I wasn't offered anything either at the booth or at the demo. 

WalkingTarget
WalkingTarget's picture

The Pre-Order codes were printed on the back of little business-card-sized things they had at the booth. I'm having the same problem with redeeming mine that Chaosmancer is, though.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

It doesn't look like the item is listed in the store for preorder yet, so it doesn't know what to redeem the code for.

At least that's my guess.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

bobbertoriley wrote:

It doesn't look like the item is listed in the store for preorder yet, so it doesn't know what to redeem the code for. At least that's my guess.

This. 

Twoeyedjack: We were able to pay for a pre-order at the booth. It was represented by a card that had a code we can use once it's available on the store. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

twoeyedjack
twoeyedjack's picture

So I was lied to.

Or the person at the booth who told me they weren't selling it or taking preorders didn't know.

I was first at the booth Thursday and they told me it wasn't available except for demos.

This is so frustrating. It was number one on my list at Gen Con, and I was misled.

Oh well. Pretty sure my FLGS can get it for me.

RySmith6
RySmith6's picture
Game DesignerPlaytester

twoeyedjack wrote:

So I was lied to.

Or the person at the booth who told me they weren't selling it or taking preorders didn't know.

I was first at the booth Thursday and they told me it wasn't available except for demos.

This is so frustrating. It was number one on my list at Gen Con, and I was misled.

Oh well. Pretty sure my FLGS can get it for me.

Having worked the booth on Thursday morning, apologies if I happened to be the one that gave you incorrect info. I also destinctly remember not having the RPG pre-order cards(or told they existed) at the booth that first day, so that may have been a cause if anyone else conveyed that same erroneous info.

As to the FLGS thing, I know Paul and Craig were encouraging multiple people over the course of the con to tell their FLGS to order it, so they seemed very in favor of people going that route!

"But dice are dice, and Dice are Fickle"

Internet Pseudonyms: PseudonymTwitch, PseudonymTweetr, PseudonymGamer

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Is GTG going to also have it in their store? I say as someone who doesn't have a local place that sells tabletop RPGs.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

They will definitely have it on the online store! Really, the pre-order card is just paying for it at the con instead of on the online store -- both require getting it from the online store. cool

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Here is the listing in the online store!

https://greaterthangames.com/store/sentinel-comics-the-role-playing-game-starter-kit

If you have any trouble with your pre-order code, let me know and I'll make sure it gets fixed asap!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Hey Paul, question.

I remember talks of a Kickstarter for the core rulebook and some other supplements coming soon***. Will there be any sort of tier that will include the starter kit as well? Assuming there are stretch goals, I'd love the funds to count to that. (Also, would the starter kit ship immedeately after the Kickstarter, or would it ship all at once?

What I'm trying to ask is, should I give you my money now, or wait for the Kickstarter to give it all at once? :)

*** - No idea when Soon actually means; don't necessarily mean Handelabra "soon"

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I preordered the Starter Kit (yay!) but I'm kinda hoping the eventual Kickstarter has PDF options.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Here's where I'm gong to pipe up with a recommendation: Paul, you could do much worse than to schedule yourself a phone call with Fred Hicks about doing good RPG Kickstarter campaigns. Fred's a solid dude, and Evil Hat is the other company (besides GtG) in the "if I feel like I have the money to spare, I'll give it to you" group.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Jeysie wrote:

I preordered the Starter Kit (yay!) but I'm kinda hoping the eventual Kickstarter has PDF options.

On one hand, I agree, as I always customize adventures when I get them (as there are always things that don't end up working for me and/or my group). Having a PDF makes that SO much easier. 

On the other, I'll definitely understand if they don't. It's hard to manage PDFs in the wild. sad

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I basically either roleplay online or read sourcebooks for funsies, so PDFs end up being more convenient for me for both purposes. Also never underestimate the usefulness of being able to do quick term searches.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I'm still having issues. Sent another email to

I'm wondering if there was some mix-up when I was given the card since it says the code does not exist.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:
Having a PDF makes that SO much easier. On the other, I'll definitely understand if they don't. It's hard to manage PDFs in the wild. sad

Per Question, Answer PDFs are on the list!

If they are not, reality says I will never see a copy of the RPG sad

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

Per Question, Answer PDFs are on the list!If they are not, reality says I will never see a copy of the RPG sad

Shiny. Sad they didn't have it with release (I'd rather have just PDFs, myself), but glad it's coming...

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

PDFs are all well and good, but just don't get to the level of dependency on electronics MY group is at.

It's gotten to the point that no one but me uses paper sheets anymore, and there's hardly any room to roll actual dice because everyone has to have their computers out to see their character sheets...

" 'Book'? What kind of a download file is that?"

And don't get me started on how if it isn't their turn then they start up a videogame or are web brousing, and therefore have no idea what's going on when it IS their turn...

Again, I don't outright hate PDFs. I just hate how my group has forgotten that paper is a thing...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

We will definitely have PDFs of all of the RPG stuff.

However, when I run RPGs, my strong preference is for all electronics to be far from the table :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

My situation is unique in that I can only RP online for now, so being all-electronic is worlds more convenient. Makes it easier to share sheets and such with everyone, or people not getting bored on their side of the internet connection while you're spending 10 minutes going like "OK where in my 200 page sourcebook is the spell/item/ability/rule I need?"

Though offline I'd probably still be tempted to use an electronic character sheet just for all the constant number changing that is usually going on.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I gotta fight tooth and nail to get my group to agree to that rule, but once in a while it works.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

When I GM I almost exclusively work from pdfs with appropriate bits printed out. We like printed character sheets, and I make hard copies of any tables we'll be referring to, maps, rules summaries, etc. It's just much more convenient to be able to scrawl notes on paper.

But I don't see a need to have all the fluff printed out, like backgrounds and example characters and those "flavour" stories that certain companies are fond of. All nice and useful to read before you play, but unnecessary at the table. I prefer to save trees and fuel for transportation and cash for shipping and keep that stuff electronic.

Sometimes I don't even refer to the PDF at all during sessions but it's nice to have it there.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Given almost everything in my campaigns is in Realm Works, I really need it digitally. cool

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

I prefer to save trees and fuel for transportation and cash for shipping and keep that stuff electronic.Sometimes I don't even refer to the PDF at all during sessions but it's nice to have it there.

I'm almost positive that running at least 3-4 plugged-in laptops constantly for multiple sessions each week eats up more energy/resourses compared to printing/transporting one 200+ page book.

Also, just looked this up, America has had tree farms since 1941 apparently, and has been used to harvest needed fibers and paper for the country.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Phantom5613 wrote:

Also, just looked this up, America has had tree farms since 1941 apparently, and has been used to harvest needed fibers and paper for the country.

That's pretty cool.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Phantom5613 wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
I prefer to save trees and fuel for transportation and cash for shipping and keep that stuff electronic.Sometimes I don't even refer to the PDF at all during sessions but it's nice to have it there.

I'm almost positive that running at least 3-4 plugged-in laptops constantly for multiple sessions each week eats up more energy/resourses compared to printing/transporting one 200+ page book.

In my case it's often transporting a 200+ page book considerably further (e.g. from China to the USA and then the UK) compared with occasionally turning on my iPad to check a rule or read some fluff. One single iPad. Maybe 10 minutes a session.

I certainly don't need 3-4 constantly plugged-in laptops.

I'm concentrating on my players and the story we're telling, not constantly referring to a rule book, electronic or otherwise. I've had bad experiences with GMs who are clearly unprepared and have to check the book a million times during a session - all momentum was lost and we spent more time waiting for answers than we did actually playing. I'd actually rather get rules wrong than play that way again.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

RySmith6 wrote:

As to the FLGS thing, I know Paul and Craig were encouraging multiple people over the course of the con to tell their FLGS to order it, so they seemed very in favor of people going that route!

That is what I heard, So I went with that, even if it takes a bit longer. I am happy to gush over the game with them, might even offer to run a demo.

But until then I will sit here in excitement. Going to look over all the images I can find on it till then.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

I certainly don't need 3-4 constantly plugged-in laptops.I'm concentrating on my players and the story we're telling, not constantly referring to a rule book, electronic or otherwise.

That was reffering to my own situation with my group, and how comparatively having a book is more cost effective than what my group does now. Like I said, they not only keep them up for the books, but also for their character sheets, spells, dice rollers... Hell, we hardly ever play with an actual map. They'd rather use Roll20.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

@Phantom: It kinda sounds like your group would be happier just meeting over IRC.

I think electronic tools are awesome but when they start replacing the non-electronic experiences of a thing it can be an issue.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:

@Phantom: It kinda sounds like your group would be happier just meeting over IRC.I think electronic tools are awesome but when they start replacing the non-electronic experiences of a thing it can be an issue.

I agree, but when it's a group you've been playing with for a while that started out as pen and paper, you try your best to not have things go down the digital toilet. I do have other groups that I play with, it's just that this is the one I've been playing with the longest.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I wouldn't say IRC is the digital toilet; I enjoyed my time with my RP group on IRC and only left because I had (and still have) mental health issues that were interfering with my ability to do creative stuff any more. It even has some benefits like being able to save logs and thus more easily remember details.

But it is a different experience that loses some of the visceral aspects of playing with tangible dice and maps and props and face-to-face. On the other hand, since your group doesn't seem to care about that aspect anymore, it might be worth saving everyone the transportation time.