The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

British vs Irish/English/Scottish/Welsh (or What's in a name?)

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
British vs Irish/English/Scottish/Welsh (or What's in a name?)

Braithwhite wrote:

Though I suppose that could be a matter of cultural perception. For me, "British" specifically means "from England". Whereas someone from one of the other parts of the UK would be Welsh, Irish, or Scottish.  

As an Englishman I see fighting words there.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

Braithwhite wrote:
Though I suppose that could be a matter of cultural perception. For me, "British" specifically means "from England". Whereas someone from one of the other parts of the UK would be Welsh, Irish, or Scottish.  

As an Englishman I see fighting words there.

I'm not trying to give offence, and I apologize if I have. What I'm trying to say is that, as an outsider, "British" has a very specific locational meaning that might not bear any resemblance to how people who live in the area would use it. 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

No offense taken.

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

Careful there though, Irish is its own nationality, one which isn't part of the UK and therefore certainly not part of Britain at all.
Northern Ireland isn't part of the Republic of Ireland, nor is it part of Britain but is within the UK, for extra confusion it is part of the island of Ireland though.
Oh, and for even more added confusion of geography vs politics, Ireland despite as mentioned, not being part of Great Britain is however, part of the British Isles.

Much like all our other neighbours they don't take kindly to having their nationality conflated with us English.

My head hurts after trying to clarify all that. Isn't learning fun!

Anyway, I'm going to listen to the podcast now. Yay.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

A.B.E. 

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'm British, but I'm English first.

Unfortunately much of the rest of the world (most notably the US) use "British" when they mean "English" and so get confused when someone points out that England is only part of Britain and that Scotland and Wales also exist.

Describing someone as British can easily sound like "I can't work out whether you're English or Welsh or Scottish despite the accents being very different, but hey, you're all the same, right?" Like calling someone a hominid rather than a human - technically correct, but not terribly specific.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Silverleaf wrote:

Scotland and Wales also exist.

Wait, what?

Silverleaf wrote:

Describing someone as British can easily sound like "I can't work out whether you're English or Welsh or Scottish despite the accents being very different, but hey, you're all the same, right?"

That's totally not what an American means when he calls someone British.  He means they're English (or possibly Welsh because who can tell the difference?).  We've watched enough old James Bond movies and computer animated movies about dragons and redheaded archer girls to know when someone is Scottish.

Seriously, have you seen "Under the Skin"?  Whatever those Scotts were speaking, it sure wasn't English.  Probably Martian. Easy to tell who's a Scott from the accent.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Spiff wrote:
Seriously, have you seen "Under the Skin"?  Whatever those Scotts were speaking, it sure wasn't English.  Probably Martian. Easy to tell who's a Scott from the accent.

Gaird yer gab, ye laidron.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

English Muffins!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Perhaps this will help:

The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I should say that in the same way that "British" is English inside America, outside America "Yank" is synonymous with American, sorry Texans.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Great point.  Being a Californian, I suppose I should have some kind of an opinion about all Americans being called Yanks, but I don't.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Katsue
Katsue's picture

I think there are some people from Northern Ireland who would identify themselves as British, but not as being Irish. They might, at a push, describe themselves as Ulstermen or Ulsterwomen. (Not all of Ulster is in Northern Ireland, by the way.) And of course there are also people from Northern Ireland who would identify as being both British and Irish, and people from Northern Ireland who consider themselves Irish and not British.

Veet

Spiff wrote:

Great point.  Being a Californian, I suppose I should have some kind of an opinion about all Americans being called Yanks, but I don't.

Thats because us Left Coasters are something completely diferent from the Northerners and the Southerners, so the divide is very lost on us.

My 8 year old son and I both agree that we like Chuck E Cheese better than Plague Rat. He is much easier to beat up.

ViolentSilence

imprimis5 wrote:

In my experience, "No true Scotsman" wants to be referred to as British.

I'm not sure - I worked with a guy from Greenock (near Glasgow for people who don't know it) who definitely considered himself British. He was Scottish too, but he felt that both labels were OK

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I suppose "UnKies" is right out.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So, the 3 posts on Doctor Who was split, but this wasn't?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

cmschex
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

So, the 3 posts on Doctor Who was split, but this wasn't?

Seriously, with the amount of new posts I keep thinking that GtG posted another bio

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I was really joking, but it really didn't come out that way. So, I will fix it by saying:

MODS ARE THE BEST! GO MODS!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Jeez man, you're going to anger all the Rockers in here...

Mezike
Mezike's picture

arenson9 wrote:

Perhaps this will help:The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explainedhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

I love those videos. There is a really good one on voting systems and why First Past the Post is so horribly broken.

On another note, anyone familiar with the Imperial measurement system ought to fully understand why we like to keep our nationalities so complicated over here. I qualify for three different nationalities even though I was born in just the one country indecision

And we haven't even started on the Cornish yet either...

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

Oh dear, let us not start on the Cornish, the Kernowyon are a strange folk.