The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Bonuses "Cards' v.s. "Villian' ????

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
shadowagent
shadowagent's picture
Bonuses "Cards' v.s. "Villian' ????

OK... this was a topic of discussion in our last game.

Situation: our heroes were fighting Akash'bhuta. There was a card in play that gave the villian +1 to damage (I can't remember what environment card). Now... Akash'bhuta's "Living Rockslide" says "...this card deals each non-villian target....". Also, "Mountainous Carapace" specifically says "Reduce damage to Akash'bhuta..." but makes no mention of limbs.

The debate: Since the card says  "this card deals..." and not "Akash'bhuta deals..." then the +1 to the villian does not get applied to "Living Rockslide" since the villian isn't mentioned as dealing the damage. In addtion the limbs would also not have the reduction to dealt to them.

Furhtermore, Akash'bhuta has cards that say both "This card deal..." and "villian deals..." so this would seem to indicate that there is a difference. Such as Akash'bhuta's "Entomb" says "... Akash'bhuta deals all ..." Thoughts?

I don't suffer from insanity... I actually enjoy it

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

If it specifies the villain character card, or something like that, then it only applies to cards that say "Akash'buhta deals...". If it says "villain targets" then it affects any card with health, and so includes the limbs. 

Mountainous Carapace only applies to Akash'bhuta and not her limbs, but needs to be taken into account when she deals herself damage when her limbs are destroyed.

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Living Rockslide and Arboreal Phalanges both deal their own damages, meaning any +1 damage Akash'Bhuta does is not applied to her limbs. The DR the Mountainous Carapace gives to Akash'Bhuta also only applies to Akash'Bhuta, no limbs. So yes, there is a difference, it actually is like this for any villain that has minions. Citizen Dawn's minions all deal their own damage, but Blind Blast has herself do it.

However, I am not sure what environment you are playing in, as I can't think of anything that just increase the villain's damage. Perhaps Freedom Tower with Entry Point, which increases Villain Target damage. Which is any target from the villain deck, so the Rockslides and Phalanges would get a +1 for that.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

There is indeed a difference. With "Living Rockslide", it is the Living Rockslide that is dealing the damage. The wording of the environment card matters; many of them say that "villain targets" deal +1 damage. Both Akash'bhuta and the Living Rockslide are villain targets, so they would both get +1 damage. Sometimes you'll see a card that specifies a bonus to the "villain target with the highest HP"; that will be Akash'bhuta (and not the Living Rockslide) until the very end of the game.

Were you playing A'B on advanced? If so, on one side she has an ability that reads "Reduce damage dealt to villain targets by 1". That would include both Akash'bhuta and the Living Rockslide.

A "target" is anything that has HP.

EDIT: ninja'd, twice!

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Ronway wrote:

However, I am not sure what environment you are playing in, as I can't think of anything that just increase the villain's damage. Perhaps Freedom Tower with Entry Point, which increases Villain Target damage. Which is any target from the villain deck, so the Rockslides and Phalanges would get a +1 for that.

Both Entry Point in Freedom Tower, and Villanous Weaponry in Wagner Mars base increase damage dealt by Villain Targets. I can't find any that increase damage dealt just by the villain.

Edit: Legacy's Landing Pad increases damage dealt by the target with the highest HP, which for much of a game against Akash'bhuta would be her.

(Really enjoying the card spoilers spreadsheets!)

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Tendrils of Madness could also do it.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

It's actually quite useful if you can buff Akash'Bhuta's damage but not that of her limbs, so that she takes more damage when you break them but they don't rdeal extra damage when they go off (the two that deal damage, anyway). By Any Means is a good one to put on her, for example.

The source of damage on a card is always described, I believe - if it says "this card" then it only applies to that particular card. If it specifies a named character (like the villain/hero whose deck the card belongs to), then it's that target which deals the damage (or gets whatever effect is being applied by the card in question). About the only possible exception I can think of is Horrid Cacophony, which doesn't specify who's dealing the damage - it is, however, the Matriarch herself and I think this was errata'd onto the card in the recent re-release of Rook City (in its combo pack with Infernal Relics).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Oh, I was reading it as a card that only increases the Villain Character Card's damage, not something that was currently only increases Akash'Bhuta's damage, but could change over the course of the game.