The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Blade scenario 1 - What does "success" mean?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
dkmuldoon
Blade scenario 1 - What does "success" mean?

I'm sure I'm missing an obvious answer somewhere, but the 1st Blade scenario says that the first time Blade has "success" at a scenario marker, he flips it.  The second time, he removes it.  So, what does it mean for him to have "success"?  

Dennis Muldoon

dkmuldoon

I knew I was missing something obvious.  I hadn't seen the scenario cards (such as "Power Splice") until I saw an answer to a different question on the forum. 

As a general comment, I would have found it very helpful to have a "Setting Up" page or some such in the rulebook.  I had no idea that I should pull out specific scenario cards.

Dennis Muldoon

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

It does, right in the scenario book. The box in the top right of the scenario says "scenario powers: for this scenario, Baron Blade has access to the following Scenario Power Cards: Power Splice, Turret Installation."

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It is really easy to miss things going through the first time or two.

dkmuldoon

It says "Baron Blade gains the following scenario power as an innate power:  *Power Splice*"

It does not say that Power Splice is a card in the deck.  Perhaps that was obvious to you.  Right out of the box it was not obvious to me.

Dennis Muldoon

stevelabny
stevelabny's picture

I agree with dkmuldoon.  The rulebook and the scenario book do NOT point you to the cards. 

I had the exact same problem the other night, but figured it out before I posted because I just had the exact same problem in Middle-Earth Quest a few weeks ago.

Designers/playtesters seem to think that every player looks at every card/component before playing.  I try to surprise myself as possible. Other people try to read as little possible before they dive in.  Something needs to point players to the deck of cards.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, there are all these cards that say "Scenario Power" on the back... If you look, they're really easy to find.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

stevelabny
stevelabny's picture

McBehrer wrote:

Well, there are all these cards that say "Scenario Power" on the back... If you look, they're really easy to find.

And how would I I know that if I didn't examine every component first?  The scenario book should say somethng like "Add POWER SPLICE to Baron Blade's deck from the scenario power deck"

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I would agree stevelabny.  I only knew of it because I've been watching the forums and browsed through the cards initially.  When I brought this last night to play with friends they weren't sure what the Power Splice ability came from reading the scenario book.  Once I showed them that it was a card they knew for other scenarios we played after that to look for a card

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I also agree with statement that it isn't as clear as it could of been. After re-reviewing the rulebook, I didn't see any mention of Scenario Powers in there.

SeraAlexandria

I agree as well that it could be clearer. My initial reaction to getting the game was to open everything and look through everything. I read all the cards, tried to build a general idea of how things worked, where I got to use certain figures and stuff like that. I ended up paying closer attention to scenario cards because I was looking in power cards to see how I could use citizens and drones, and found nothing about it. When I finally got to play my first game a day later, I knew the components well enough to know what I was looking for.

If someone were to get the game and immediately try playing when they open it, it might not be as clear what they need to grab. The section in the scenario books about scenario powers doesn't mention that they're cards, nor are they mentioned in the rulebook.