The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Battle of the teams 2 Closing thoughts

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester
Battle of the teams 2 Closing thoughts

With 1,072 games played, my journey to battle every villain on every difficulty with 8 thematic teams is mostly complete. I  still want to go back and add in Challenge and Ultimate modes for the villains that currently don't have them once released but now I'm at the end.

The overall winner was team Nature with a record of 117 wins and 17 losses (87% win rate). However excluding Oblivaeon mode, team Space had the best record. In last place was Dark Watch (97-37) but they were only 1 game behind Prime Wardens.

Hardest matches:

Cosmic Omnitron Challenge and Ultimate- 0 wins

Miss Information Ultimate- 0 wins

Dreamer Advanced - 2 wins

Kaagra Advanced - 2 wins

La Capitan Ultimate- 2 wins

Iron Legacy Ultimate- 2 wins

Oblivaeon Advanced: Source of Foes, Arc of Unreality,  Ceaseless Ruin - 2 wins each

Hero Teams: Strengths, Weaknesses, Synergies

The Freedom 5: The Freedom 5 is probably the most well rounded team. I generally break hero deck functions into 4 categories Damage, Defense, Support, Utility and then break these down further into subcategories. The Freedom 5 hit all major categories and miss out on only 1 subcategory "Action Support" (effects which enable other heroes to play a card). The major weaknesses of the Freedom 5 is that they do not have any damaging base powers and are fairly set-up intensive... this means that against high difficulty matches they can fall behind early and have a lot of trouble getting out of danger. The Freedom Five doesn't really have any flashy combos but they do work together really well. Tachyon and Absolute Zero are notably 2 of the best heroes to pair with Legacy's Galvanize. Bunker and Tachyon have a really good incapacitated ability to regain cards from a trash that can be used in a pinch to recover cards like Throut Jab, Hypersonic Assault, and Take Down.

Prime Wardens: The Prime Wardens have some of the best combos of any team when properly set up and have some of the best HP recovery in the game. However, they lack deck control, a strong defensive hero, and steady damage dealing capability.  They're combos are great though. One of the best is to use Dynamic Siphons to give AA and Tempest out of turn powers. If one of those powers is Cleansing Downpour the Siphons can have much better survivability. Fantastic's base power can be used to trigger Dynamic Siphon or Vitality Conduit twice.

Dark Watch: NightMist has great survivability and can make good use of her allies' incapacitated abilities. This team has great multi-target damage as well which makes them good against minion heavy villains. However, this team almost completely lacks support abilities and is very vulnerable to villain damage reduction effects. One great combo this team has is applied numerology coupled with Setback's and Nightmist's self damage effects. Mr. Fixer can do great things when using Crowbars or Jack Handle with Setback's Friendly Fire in play. The true game saver though is Expat's incap ability to have 1 hero deal 1 projectile damage the next time use a power. This can allow Mr. Fixer to double up on the effect of Hoist Chain or allow Nightmist to save up instances of 1 damage while hiding in Mist Form.

Void Guard: Each member of Void Guard is specialized so that they cover all major bases needed in a hero team. They also each have the ability enough flexibility to help cover some other areas when needed. Void Guard do however lack deck control and have fairly poor Multi-target damage. The major strength of this team is that Mainstay, Idealist, and Writhe love HP recovery. Another great combo is Idealist's Tiara benefits greatly from extra power uses supplied by Medico. 

Alt Reality: Another well balanced team with great synergy. This team is great at single target damage and has excellent card draw. The one major weakness this team has is a relative lack of defense. Visionary's base power is great with La Comodora's Shipshape and can go along way to helping LC maintain her setup. Timeshift is also great for La Comodora when used on her turn via Temporal Rigging. Twist the Ether when played on the main villain combos well with Omnitron-X's Platings. Shipshape can also trigger off of Chrono-ranger's Just Doin' My Job which is a nice way to support Chrono-Ranger at no real cost to La Comodora.

Revo Corp: Revo Corp has a bunch of really strong heroes with a few nice combos but not any major synergies overall. The team's defense is ok, but it lacks much HP recovery. Additionally, Luminary, Unity, and Benchmark all benefit greatly from having a  lot of set-up time. Key Combos include Parse's Syntactic Analysis being a great way to play Mechanical Golems. Benchmark's Ally Matrix and Parse's Between the Lines are great for both Stuntman and Luminary's Regression Turret. 

Space: Space has some amazing combos and increadible damage output. Lifeline and KNYFE can benefit from having setup time, but they are both strong out the gate as well, while Sky-Scraper and The Sentinels need almost no set-up at all. The teams only major weakness is a lack of good deck control (Writhe has some but it's not amazing). The biggest combo available to this team is Lifelines Cosmic Immolation with The Sentinels Human Shield to protect Lifeline from the downside. Lifeline in turn can help sustain Human Shield with his base power. If the Sentinels have Aura of Vision in play it can combo with Lifeline's Matter Manipulation to turn 1 card draw into 2 or into a damaging power for Lifeline. Sky's Catch a Ride is more effective when her allies have a damage boost; every other member of this team can get one. Especially noteworthy is Catch a Ride plus Sentinel Tactics to give the Sentinels a free power use. Writhe Caliginous Form can Combo with Compulsion Canister to hit the same target twice and to Trigger Sentinel Tactics. Lastly, both Sky and KNYFE can give the Sentinels powers with incapacitated abilities which means in a pinch the Sentinels can triple up on block.

Nature: This team is insanely flexible and features 2 of the best defensive heroes in the game and some truly great combos. The team lacks deck control but that is it only real weakness. Akash'thriya deals herself a ton of self damage but 3 other heroes on this team can mitigate this damage: Naturalist and Scholar via redirection and Ra via Flesh of the Sun God and Imbued Fire. The first 2 can also be used to prevent self damage by Akask'Flora effectively giving every hero a free power each round. Ra can help Akash with Excavation. Naturalist can support Scholar with multiple sources of HP recovery. Lastly, Guise can copy either Schalar and Ra to great effect.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It’s been interesting seeing the results.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Quote:
Ra can help Akash with Excavation.

This is amazing. Finally, a use for that card!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What an amazing project!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel