The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Attack +1 and Attack -1 tokens cancel

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester
Attack +1 and Attack -1 tokens cancel

Apparently an attack +1 and an attack -1 token are supposed to cancel each other out:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18169810#18169810

I'm pretty sure this is missing from the rulebook, but they've been playing it this way at tournaments.

cmschex
Playtester

That's interesting.  I didn't think that would be the case since Attack +1 tokens are optional and Attack-1 are mandatory

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

They do if you use an attack+1 token to negate an attack-1 token.  Attack -1 tokens just have to be used on your next attack.  Attack +1 tokens are your choice to use on an stack against a specific target

edit: I've looked at rulebook and see no mention of them automatically canceling each other out.   While it is Luther listing that as a response, he is wrong that it is in the rulebook.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yeah, it was supposed to be in the rulebook, but didn't make it. It was a last-minute rules change. If a character gets one and already has the other (as described), they both go away.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Is it supposed to balance something?  I guess I just don't see why it would need to work that way.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Actually, I think it does two things:

1. Reduces the number of tokens out (which can get pretty ridiculous)
  2. Reduces need to remember to remove -1 tokens, as there are fewer

I honestly don't know the official reasons - those are just my observations. smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

C.) Nerfs Bunker and, indirectly, Baron Blade; because God knows they needed it.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Is it the same for +1/-1 Defense tokens?  I'd assume it is but the BGG discussion doesn't say, so I won't add that bit to the FAQ just yet.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Spiff wrote:

Is it the same for +1/-1 Defense tokens?  I'd assume it is but the BGG discussion doesn't say, so I won't add that bit to the FAQ just yet.

Yeah it's the same.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Thanks, Luther!  An thanks for Tactics!  Every time I demo it I want to play it more. :D. Sorry about any stress concerning AZ!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett