The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Attachments and Target Destruction

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
hstein3
hstein3's picture
Attachments and Target Destruction

I can't recall how this works. When you have a card attached to a target, and the target gets destroyed, does the attached card automatically get destroyed as well, or does it depend on the card text?

Case in point: I was playing The Dreamer with Chrono-Ranger, and put "The Ultimate Target" onto one of the projections. When the projection died, the bounty remained. There's nothing on the card text indicating the card should be destroyed when the target leaves play, not like the other bounties. Oversight? Bug? Intentional?

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Intentional.

All of Chrono's Bounties say to destroy the bounty when the target dies except "The Ultimate Target", that's why his Hat can destroy them.

So the answer is "it depend on the card text" as you rightly guessed.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Playing the cardboard game, my intuition always told me that if there wasn't a target next to an attachable card, it ought to go away. But with TUT, it's actually useful to keep it in play; if it's your only bounty, you can still get use out of the Masadah and Danny Boy, if DR is an issue. Granted, it still seems like a weird thing, but that's the only reason I can see for it staying in play. (Unless we want to get into discussions of it being his "best" bounty.)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

When they bring WotC to the video game, you'll see that Sky-Scraper's links stick around after their assigned targets are destroyed.  This comes in handy for having a bunch of extra links in play for Explosive Reveal.

It's also slightly relevant for Expatriette, in that ammo can be left behind if the gun it's attached to is destroyed.  But there are exactly zero cases in the game where you would want to destroy a gun before destroying its ammo, so this rarely comes up.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

A similar case can occur if a gun is destroyed with ammo attached.   The ammo stays in Expat's play area not doing anything.  Sky-Scraper also has Link cards which stay in play even if the target it's attached to leaves play. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

Playing the cardboard game, my intuition always told me that if there wasn't a target next to an attachable card, it ought to go away. But with TUT, it's actually useful to keep it in play; if it's your only bounty, you can still get use out of the Masadah and Danny Boy, if DR is an issue. Granted, it still seems like a weird thing, but that's the only reason I can see for it staying in play. (Unless we want to get into discussions of it being his "best" bounty.)

As far as I remember from playtesting, the reason for leaving that text off was partially that fitting the text on the card was tricky, and partially thematic - it's the ultimate target, after all, so it shouldn't be being thrown all over the place as easily. Plus it still powers Hunter and Hunted, Masadah, etc. which is gravy.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

BlueHairedMeerkat wrote:

TakeWalker wrote:

As far as I remember from playtesting, the reason for leaving that text off was partially that fitting the text on the card was tricky, and partially thematic - it's the ultimate target, after all, so it shouldn't be being thrown all over the place as easily. Plus it still powers Hunter and Hunted, Masadah, etc. which is gravy.

I figured it had something to do with that.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

There's also Infection cards - if a hero gets incapped whilst Infected, the Infection doesn't go away, so that hero can keep beating up their friends via Afflicted Frenzy. Yaaay :P.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Afflicted Frenzy applies to infected hero targets. Incapacitated heroes are not targets (except for one, sometimes).

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, that would mean I've been doing it wrong since forever. I've just got the card out and checked at it reads "At the start of each hero turn, if the hero is Infected, they deal X Melée damage to the hero target with the highest hp, where X = the number of Infected heroes"...so phew, I have been doing it right and they don't need to still be a target to hit people once incapped ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Kratos13

It was adjusted in the digital version so only infected Hero targets deal Afflicted Frenzy damage.  See fireside chat Rook City Update:

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/clarifications-and-decisions-from-handelabra-christophers-fireside-chats-6773

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Ahh, I was just talking about the tabletop version. Forgot I was in the computer-game-version of the forum :D.

I am the Wordweaver...