The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Arena Mode?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
hstein3
hstein3's picture
Arena Mode?

With Season 2 around the corner, new stretch goals were announced. One of them was Arena Mode. 

How many villains can you defeat in a row with the ultimate hero team? Make your own storyline with this randomized campaign mode and last as long as you can. Fans of the game have made several versions of this idea on the tabletop.

If we can reach this goal, Handelabra Games will create an “Arena Mode” for the video game. The details and options of the new mode will be worked out when we get to the design and development stage, and we’ll be getting your input at that time. Some ideas and options include a single fixed hero team with no HP recovery; a drafting mechanic where fallen heroes are replaced; ramping up difficulty with advanced and challenge modes; and more! No matter what, this new mode will keep you on your toes.

Neat idea. I'm largely curious if hero cards will remain in play from one villain to the next, or if everything gets reshuffled. If things remain in play, that could really affect the team you bring; I know having Legacy or Argent Adept all geared up at the start of a match would certainly be a powerful advantage. 

So what features would you want to see in this? And what team would you bring to the arena?

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Stories. Anything they do, I'd like to see them add story background to it, like the paragraphs prefacing the weekly one-shots. They don't have to be complicated, just a little background blurb and maybe an appropriate selection from the card art.

Actually, on that thought, I would LOVE if they made it so that whenever we compete a step in the unlock process for a variant, a card pops up with some relevant art and a quick story blurb drawing attention to the thing we did and why it's in the unlock sequence.

I suppose the theme of my post here is that these sorts of things can be fun, but sometimes they can feel like a grind. I'd rather they be fun!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

There have been tons of forum posts about creating such teams and games played going up against a challenge like this. Really neat to see them bring a staple of forum conversation into implimentation.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Story mode will have stories! But I'm not sure it makes much sense to have stories for a randomized mode where you are in fact creating your own story =)

We will be bringing ideas from the forums as well as directly having discussions with the community about options to put into the arena mode. Assuming we hit the goal!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

hstein3
hstein3's picture

Foote wrote:

There have been tons of forum posts about creating such teams and games played going up against a challenge like this. Really neat to see them bring a staple of forum conversation into implimentation.

Ah, okay. Well, I only have the digital version of the game, so I don't really participate much in the other forums. I imagine there's others in the same boat, so . . . 

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

This one didn't require the physical version and is a good example of what I think the arena may have https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/video-game-depth-chart-8955

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

This one didn't require the physical version and is a good example of what I think the arena may have https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/video-game-depth-chart-8955

Something like that would be really cool!