The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Are the Dev's accepting ideas for variant unlocks for future heroes?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Natediggadoggity
Are the Dev's accepting ideas for variant unlocks for future heroes?

I can't find it now, but there was a post on one of the many forums this community uses, (Steam, Handelabra, and this one. Twitter too I think)  Where a Dev mentioned they're accepting ideas for conditions for future unlocks as more heroes are released.

Was that serious? And if so, How would you prefer those ideas to come through? PM? E-mail? Random Forum posts? (Probably not the last, because then people would just go through a thread and try them all one by one.)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

And if this is indeed the case

what restrictions should we put in place

on hoops to jump through

and things we can do

without creating disgrace

What I'm trying to ask is what kinds of unlock conditions are good, and which ones are bad?  For example, so far all unlocks have been possible through reasonable play (i.e. the Expat promo wasn't reached by having Fixer punch her in the face.  That's not something that would ever come up in a game, unless you were specifically trying to unlock a promo).  Is that always going to be a criteria?  Are there any others?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

They're accepting ideas from Badell, Rebottaro, and Bender for certain. From others? No clue.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We're not soliciting ideas. But we read the forums, and if we see something interesting, you never know. But we're certainly not going to say anything ;)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Natediggadoggity

Okay, well I'll end this with speculation for when the future variants might arrive.

The next expansion has Nightmist and the Argent Adept, with Akash'Buta, Gloomweaver, Apostate, and the Ennead. If any hero variant needs money to unlock, I bet it will be Kvothe-Six string, which would send more proceeds to Heifer International, which I wouldn't mind seeing. Apostate has a great chance for Fanatic's first variant, with Redeem. Skinwalker Gloomweaver, and Agent of Gloom Spite might come up as well, and that goes well with Dark Visionary. Dark Watch Nightmist is a possibility, Ra: Horus of 2 Horizons could come up with the Ennead around, but so far that's 7 variants, which is a lot, and a couple might be saved for Mini Expansion 2.

Most likely in that one, is Eternal Haka with Final Wasteland. Scholar of the Infinite is possible, but I don't think it's very likely.

Shattered timelines will probably have all Freedom Six (I hope) and maybe even Chrono-Ranger: The Best of Times, but that's another 7 unlocks, which might be pushing it.

Wrath of the Cosmos has the 5 Prime Wardens, which is a fair amount.

For Mini Expansion 3... we don't have Promos made for Omnitron X, Skyscraper, or Guise. Might they be out by then?

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

I am definitely holding out for Spite Agent of Gloom and Skinwalker Gloomweaver in Infernal Relics.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Infernal Relics:

-Apostate will likely have to land the killing blow on Fanatic in some way for Redeemer. Her promo is too closely tied to her loss at the hands of Apostate for it not to be close along those lines.

-Argents PW promo will likely deal with using most (if not all) of his intruments in a single game/round considering what his promo represents. It could also alternatively include his Bell needing to be destroyed (again for story reasons).

-Beared Ra will need to be incapped by Set specifically. Both Beard Ra, Redeemer, DW Fixer, and Legacy promos are very heavily connected with loosing battles story wise, so I kinda see that unlock condition extending here as well.

-Nightmist I can see being a wild card here. Though I will bet a large amount of karma that it will require Nightmist to have the Staff of Anubis in her play area in some capacity.

-Dark Visionary will be unlockable here I'm guessing, and will require a fight against Gloomweaver and Visionary. She will probably need to have her Cocoon in play at the end of the game.

-Hard to tell when Promo Gloom/Spite will be avaliable. If they come out here, you will totally have to unlock Spite's before you unlock Gloom's. But they might wait for Vengeance when Setback and the Dark Watch team is complete first. 

Mini-pack 2:

-Haka of Knowledge will be avaliable once Final Wasteland comes out. Will definitivly need Haka and Wasteland. It could likely require Matriarch to be the villain since it's the only villain I know of that is confirmed to be seen in the environment. Plauge Rat could be viable as well.

-I could see Gloom/Spite coming here too as I am unsure of what other promos would be tied into Miss Info and Scholar at this point. You can't rule anything out though, because if Grandpa Legacy taught us anything, it's that some promos could have very unexpected tie-ins from story points we know nothing about.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Foote wrote:

Dark Visionary will be unlockable here I'm guessing, and will require a fight against Gloomweaver and Visionary. She will probably need to have her Cocoon in play at the end of the game.

I would think it would be have The Visionary destroy the Telekinetic Cocoon and do the final blow to GloomWeaver.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Ronway wrote:
Foote wrote:
Dark Visionary will be unlockable here I'm guessing, and will require a fight against Gloomweaver and Visionary. She will probably need to have her Cocoon in play at the end of the game.

I would think it would be have The Visionary destroy the Telekinetic Cocoon and do the final blow to GloomWeaver.

I like it!