The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Archetype Question.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture
Archetype Question.

This is probably going to sound very basic, but with the Speedster Archtype, it says that if one already has the Speed power, they can either replace it with one of the Dice they recieved from the Power Source section or to skip this step.  My question is, if they replace it does that mean that the die that was previously assigned to Speed is lost, or merely traded out for the die that is replacing it?  I ask this because all the other Archtypes that allow you to change the die value of a power/quality you already have specifically say to swap dice (while others merely have you choose a different power in the same category).

I am curious as to what others think... does replace in this context mean loosing the previous die, or should it be treated as a swap?

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those that can't.

catDreaming

I seem to recall that the words were used interchangeably in past versions as well for other Archetypes, so I believe that replace and swap should be used interchangeably in this case.

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

mistergone
mistergone's picture

I have to believe that's intended to be "swap" - I don't see many places where players can lose dice entirely. The creation system seems balanced around access to die size and strength of individual abilities, and I can't imagine Speedsters for some reason can just lose one of those dice. :D

I live to meet expectations!

Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture

I am leaning towards that too... since it would be easy for any character that had access to the Speed power before the Archetype step could just not select that one power knowing they will get it in the next step anyways and just use the die for a different power.  True, it may mean not getting a Quality from the Archetype (since one still has to use at least one of their remaining dice on a power from the list provided), but I am sure most would rather do that than loose a die from the Power Source section for their character.

I just wanted to be sure since while, they can be used interchangibly in some cases, the words are not exactly the same and thus can be interpreted very differently, and often how something is worded can be deliberate.  However, since there is no other case in the game where the Archetype step where a die is removed (or any other step for that matter), I am inclinded to think that loosing a die in this single instance is not what was intended.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those that can't.

ErekLich

I honestly can't remember exactly where but I'm 95% certain the devs have said that you get to reuse the fie that you replaced, picking something else with it.

Shadowstripe
Shadowstripe's picture

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that is their intent too... but given the different wording that is used in other Archetypes that specifically say swap, it could be interpreted otherwise.  Some games can be that strict with wording... others are not.  This leaves enough ambeguity that some GMs may have different rulings.

As I said, since there is an easy work-around (simply don't assign a die to Speed in the Power Source section), that it ultimately becomes a moot point.  If someone who didn't select Speed as a Power Source power can keep their die, then why would one who chose Speed in that step loose a die?  Because of this, I am inclined to believe one simply swaps dice.  It makes sense, right?