The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Anyone else not like the scaling?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Anyone else not like the scaling?

Any one else not like the scaling?

I know there was a lot of complaints that the core game did not scale with the number of players, but I have always liked it that way.

I like the fact that the difficulty of the game can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the number of heroes.

I think it thematically makes more sense for the villains to do the damage they do regardless of how many heroes they are facing.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

We've actually been having some problems with that to in our group.  4 is a pretty standard number for us, and some of the newer bosses are REALLY hard vs. 4.  In the case of Spite, we got the "return H-2 ongoing or equipment to your hand" as his first Drug.  One of our heroes was Fanatic, who never drew any of her Ongoings,  so between Wraith, Mr. Fixer, and Visionary, they had to agree who got to keep a permanent that turn.  It was really annoying.  Don't get me wrong, we like a challenge, but loss after horrible loss can really affect your overall enjoyment of the game.

That said, there is a fairly easy fix.  Just decide before you begin what you want H to be.  You can play with 5 players and decide that, for that game, H is 3, and just like that, your difficulty isn't crazy.  In our experience, playing with 3 people against most of the new bosses resulted in games that "felt" kinda like the old difficulty, so having H always equal to 3 essentially removes the scaling factor since the effects are some constant value regardless of number of players (just like the old bosses).  I know in a technical sense that's "cheating", but if it increases your enjoyment of the game....*shrug* go for it.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

That's a great solution, Broccoli.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I don't really know about the new scaled difficulty. I actually kinda like it, but it does get really difficult with five heroes. We've been suffering some pretty crippling defeats recently, and a lot of it is because of the scaled damage. Then again, sometimes it's because we use a hero that ends up being dead weight and just adding unnecessary points to H. I still like it.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Well, we just played a 6 hero game against Spite, and was able to defeat him without him playing any drug cards.  But I guess that's the exception.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

flamethrower49
Playtester

I don't own Rook City yet, so I'm not fully decided on it.  But I do feel that I would prefer all of them to scale or none of them to scale. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

broccoli wrote:
That said, there is a fairly easy fix.  Just decide before you begin what you want H to be. 

Love this idea.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Does anyone play with a minimum? Was doing a two man army challenge and (H)-2 was 0, felt a bit too easy there.

EDIT: Yes, a little under 2 months after I posted it I have edited this post, I forgot an o in too, it annoyed me when I was directed to an answer in this thread and I re-read this post

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

broccoli wrote:
We've actually been having some problems with that to in our group.  4 is a pretty standard number for us, and some of the newer bosses are REALLY hard vs. 4.  In the case of Spite, we got the "return H-2 ongoing or equipment to your hand" as his first Drug.  One of our heroes was Fanatic, who never drew any of her Ongoings,  so between Wraith, Mr. Fixer, and Visionary, they had to agree who got to keep a permanent that turn.  It was really annoying.  Don't get me wrong, we like a challenge, but loss after horrible loss can really affect your overall enjoyment of the game.

That said, there is a fairly easy fix.  Just decide before you begin what you want H to be.  You can play with 5 players and decide that, for that game, H is 3, and just like that, your difficulty isn't crazy.  In our experience, playing with 3 people against most of the new bosses resulted in games that "felt" kinda like the old difficulty, so having H always equal to 3 essentially removes the scaling factor since the effects are some constant value regardless of number of players (just like the old bosses).  I know in a technical sense that's "cheating", but if it increases your enjoyment of the game....*shrug* go for it.

Yay! Chris liked my idea! http://gfbrobot.com/2012/04/18/hr-32-special-edition-interview-on-the-ne... at about time 39:17 :)

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

foxtrot2620
Playtester

broccoli wrote:

broccoli wrote:

Yay! Chris liked my idea! http://gfbrobot.com/2012/04/18/hr-32-special-edition-interview-on-the-ne... at about time 39:17 :)

Haha nice! It really is a great idea  :)

flamethrower49
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:
Does anyone play with a minimum? Was doing a two man army challenge and (H)-2 was 0, felt a bit to easy there.

It struck me as not right that playing with one or two characters against a scaling villain might be much easier than playing with four or five. 

ketigid

I believe H is strictly 3, 4 or 5.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I really do like the idea of a preset H. Some things just require that, especially if a hero turns out to be dead weight.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

ketigid wrote:
I believe H is strictly 3, 4 or 5.

You are 100% correct.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

So, you can't go solo with H = 1?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Well, you can do anything you want, really. But if you're playing by the rules, you're only playing with 3, 4, or 5 players, so yeah, H = 3, 4, or 5.  8)

So do whatever you want. You could try solo with H=3 and see how it goes. Then, after you're slaughtered, try H=2 to see if it helps... ;)

Rabit

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Gnipp
Playtester

As the GFBR podcast mentioned.  It's your game.  You can do whatever you want to have fun with it.  :)