The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Announcing a New Game Series: Sentinels of the SCUverse

100 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Envisioner wrote:

A tentative plan is coming together.  I was originally going to have Haka, Tempest and others gradually introduced in the course of F5 games, but instead I guess I'll assume that they got their own origin story movies.  So, if you are NOT playing in the current SCUverse game, pick either Haka, Tempest or Fanatic as your character.  We will be using the Time Cataclysm as a stand-in for a "generic" Environment (I've never really felt that it properly reflects the setting, so when I want to really set a game in the TC, I'll do something much fancier), but I still have to pick a Villain that I like for the purpose.  I really wish there was an official "mooks" deck that I could use, other than the Chairman...instead I'll probably use Kismet just because she's kinda wimpy, but I'm not married to the idea as yet.

If you're looking for a not-that-strong villain for a 3-hero game leading into in a movie series maybe do something like Ambuscade (maybe even advanced mode) and treat him as an advance scout for some alien menace (hmm... Voss?).  Your "draw 2, play 1" for villain cards will also at least partially avoid one of Ambuscade's perceived weaknesses - trap cards that get buried and act as a sort of "null turn".

Odin
Odin's picture

I'll take Tempest. It is about time I get in on a forum game.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

I'm putting off Ambuscade for the same reason as Apostate and the Ennead, though not as much so - all of them are meant to premiere after their nemeses.  In Amby's case, he can't decide that Haka is the ultimate prey for his hunt if he doesn't know who Haka is...while Haka may have had a solo movie before, this would probably have kept him mostly in isolation, barely coming in contact with the outside world, a la "Thor".  So I want there to be a fight against a "generic" villain first, one who has no personal stake in fighting any of these heroes.

Here are all 18 pre-Vengeance villains, in the order of how important I think it is for them to have a nemesis match for their premiere:

1.  Omnitron (absolutely must predate his nemesis, even more than Plague Rat, given that they're literally the same entity.)

2.  Plague Rat (he's actually the reverse of the villains mentioned above - he's meant to premiere *before* the hero who hunts him, just as he did in the game's publication)

3.  Kismet (she doesn't have any particular connection to Setback, having been designed independently of him and opposing him simply on an elemental level)

4.  Gloomweaver (is meant to appear initially as a subtle but hard-to-stop threat which the heroes can't even begin to properly fight, but which comes nowhere near completion until after Nightmist shows up to explain the danger)

5.  The Matriarch (while her nemesis is in the game, she doesn't have an especially strong opposition to her)

6.  La Capitan (has very little connection to her nemeses, who didn't even exist when I became familiar with her)

7.  Akash'Bhuta  (is perfectly free to appear as an apparently isolated threat, before Argent comes along and explains what her deal is)

8.  Citizen Dawn (should show up slightly before her rebellious daughter appears)

9.  Iron Legacy (has no single nemesis, and his presence isn't especially tied to that of any other characters except Baron Blade - and obviously Legacy himself)

10.  Spite (should exist as a threat parallel to Wraith's crimefighting activities, with a delayed confrontation)

11.  The Chairman (should exist as a looming threat in Rook City long before Mr. Fixer dares confront him)

12.  Miss Information (has no strong nemesis association, but needs to be delayed in the storyline for her own sake)

13.  Baron Blade (he might slightly predate his meeting with Legacy, but doing so undermines him badly)

14.  Warlord Voss (slated to arrive late in the storyline, but definitely must be predated by Tempest)

15.  Ambuscade (as mentioned above, he needs to know about Haka before he goes on the hunt)

16.  The Ennead (their Rise to Power doesn't have to directly connect to Ra, but they should be introduced no later than him, even if they don't immediately face off)

17.  Apostate (he simply has no reason to exist other than to piss off Fanatic)

18.  The Dreamer (no way in hell will she appear prior to Visionary's introduction - at least not as a villain, she very well might be a background character)

Based on this chart, the next few villains should include Plague Rat, Kismet, Gloomweaver and La Capitan.  I'm saving Gloomweaver for now because I want him to be on the main team's radar, and Cappy is just way too tough even without the boost she gets from my variant (to say nothing of figuring out how it interacts with her constant trash-reshuffling).  I am leaning slightly toward Kismet over Plague Rat, because I don't want to take him out of the Rook City environment, and I want Wraith to be involved in introducing that setting.

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"
--David Brin, "Brightness Reef"

luminos

I'd be interested in joining one of these games in the future.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I just swapped a couple messages with phantaskippy, and he says he needs to sit this one out. Somebody could come grab Bunker and post a turn in game 2.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I posted there if that's ok. I'm new to posting here and may have some questions on Matriarch, cuz I don't have RC, but I've been lurking for a while and know the game well

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Okay, so we've got Odin, luminos, and XXVZ?  Shall I go ahead and start a game?

"Is there beauty in a forest, if no creature stops and calls it lovely, now and then? Isn't that what 'sapience' is for?"

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

Go ahead, what heroes? Environment? (I'd lean towards the Block if we're against Kismet)

"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

The Block will need to show up late in this game series for storyline reasons.  My plan was to use Time Cataclysm, which to me doesn't really seem like it represents a Time Cataclysm at all, and just flavor it as being a generic "stuff is happening in no particular place" backdrop - a Charging Triceratops would actually be a rhino escaped from the zoo, a Marsquake is just a garden-variety earthquake (or some other form of tremor, like being in a building which is rocked by an explosion), etc.

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

Envisioner wrote:

The Block will need to show up late in this game series for storyline reasons.  My plan was to use Time Cataclysm, which to me doesn't really seem like it represents a Time Cataclysm at all, and just flavor it as being a generic "stuff is happening in no particular place" backdrop - a Charging Triceratops would actually be a rhino escaped from the zoo, a Marsquake is just a garden-variety earthquake (or some other form of tremor, like being in a building which is rocked by an explosion), etc.

So they're just random events caused by Kismets luck, Interesting...

-XXVZ

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

Yeah, the only problem is that it'll make Inconceivable Obstruction pretty weak since there are only like three targets in the deck.  But Kismet is at her best in a 3-hero game, so hopefully it'll be sort of fair.  When I have you face her in the Final Wasteland, you'll probably get to have five heroes for that match.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

XXVZ wrote:

I have 1st edition so I'll probably want to play a RC/ST/IR hero in one of the later "movies" (Dark Watch maybe?)

The only expansion hero I'll even consider allowing in this early a game is the Argent Adept, and I'd rather save him to add to the Prime Wardens after they've already come together.  Haka and Tempest are definitely in, and I could perhaps be talked into Unity (about as likely as I could be into AA), otherwise it's either Fanatic or Ra.

Legionbrony, if you want to take XXVZ's slot and play a core-set hero, with a Shattered Timelines villain and environment, speak up.  The game will start as soon as we have three players who want to play a hero fitting my plans...only if that proves impossible will my plans be reconsidered.

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

Hmm... I haven't played AA too much, I think I'll wait 'till a hero from RC or ST comes along... sorry.

Though I could just use errata'd cards if it comes to that... Either works for me.

-XXVZ

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

If you know what the errata are, it shouldn't be a problem.  You'd have to remember some changes if playing Ra, but I think Haka is unchanged and I'm almost certain Tempest is.

And yeah, AA is not the hero to play if you're unfamiliar with him AND with the milieu you're playing in.  Better to watch someone else excel with him first, until you get the hang of it.

luminos

I'm a fan of fanatic, I'll be glad to use her.

Odin
Odin's picture

I'm ready to start! If we have three post the game.

Odin
Odin's picture

So is XXVZ Haka....?

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

I thought I was waiting 'till an expansion hero came out... Oh whatever.

-XXVZ

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

If the Game 3 players want to use our Game 2 player discussion and commentary thread please feel free.  Or, obviously, you can start your own.

Envisioner
Envisioner's picture

XXVZ wrote:

I thought I was waiting 'till an expansion hero came out... Oh whatever.

I thought you were too....I had intended the third to be legionbrony, but he hasn't posted in a while so I guess he missed out on this round.  If he ever turns up I'm sure we can get him into game 4 when one of these two wraps up.

Edwin

Right, I've proven that I can handle finishing the third game that Envisioner started, so I think the next step is for me to start up a fourth one.  Do we still have five players who want to run the FV?

(Note:  I am officially ditching the part of the rules which says not to shuffle decks between games; that idea was just ridiculous.)

"I'm starting to feel comic books lack realism."
"Master of Understatement: Level Up!"
--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

I'm in. I'm wondering if this is the game that starts changing the roster outside of the other game, though. If we don't change the roster I'd request to switch heroes with someone, but if not I will play Bunker

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I'm also in, and happy to play Tachyon again.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Due to other time commitments I think I will be passing on this next episode - so Wraith is available.

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Calling dibs on Wraith. Bunker is now available

Edwin

Since no heroes have been incapacitated yet, the Freedom Five are still a unit.  There needs to be exactly one hero who either is or is not incapacitated in any game in order for the roster to change, according to the original rules.  Unless people are really just completely sick of having five-hero teams with Legacy steamroll all the wimpy early villains, in which case I can say "screw the rules, I have money" (except not so much that last part) and we can do it however.

--Two nearly-consecutive (in the other order) quotes from the webcomic "Grrl Power".

Edwin

Do we have a Legacy, Bunker or Absolute Zero?

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Edwin wrote:

Do we have a Legacy, Bunker or Absolute Zero?

I've just had part-time job #2 start up again (it's project-based) - I'd be checking things one a day at best. Willing to stick with it on that basis if nobody else objects.

Edwin

I think it's safe to say that won't be a problem.  We still need two more though.

Odin
Odin's picture

I can play someone. Who is left?

Edwin

Bunker or Legacy.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

I could go for a game of this, but as I am alergic to Bunker('s deck), I'll join this set if Odin doesn't take Legacy.

If you do want Legacy, Odin, that's only logical, and I shall happily await the next game.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Odin
Odin's picture

I am equally allergic to Bunker's deck but that actually works well for me. I won't have to worry about messing up his deck since I rarely play with it. I'll take some claritin or something to get over it.

OK so I am Bunker. And Ironic can take Legacy.

Also Ironic I like the new profile picture, what is it?

Ironic
Ironic's picture

La Capitan's secret alter ego.

And so - I shall be America's Finest Legacy!  Where do we go and whom do we fight, Edwin?

(Also, I guess I now have to read Game 2, to catch up on the events of Freedom Five 2.)

(EDIT: Having done so, that just kind of... stops abruptly.  The anti-Peter Jackson.  Since movies are usually not just one big fight anyway, and this didn't have a real ending,* I vote that some new threat takes out/is summoned by/reveals it was posessing The Matriarch, and leading to a not-played-out chase and/or investigation, and then the actual final fight, this game.)

* Even if the game's conclusion was foregone.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Additional note: If people are, as previously speculated, not interested in Legacy steamrollage, I could step out or switch to a different hero who shows up for the occasion (so long as its not ExPat, Fixer, or The Scholar, all of whom I lack).

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Bunker is much more fun in this playstyle, since you get to burn his deck relentlessly.

Edwin

The fizzling out of the last game was sad, but I didn't feel like there was any real need to write a denoument to it.  The FV curbstomped their latest upstart villain and got the heck off the island, having left a few instruments set up for the Lab, but postponing their explorations until after Lilian gets some obviously-needed therapy.  The new scenario will be a different "movie" with its own isolated setup; there is minimal continuity between them, so that they are followable by themselves.

Edwin

Game is up.  This'll be a pretty tough match, since it is essentially "super-advanced" (we're using Envisioner's houserule that Gloomweaver's A-side advanced text is always in effect, and that his actual advanced text is either "Gloomweaver is not a target" or one of "Gloomweaver is immune to damage" or "Gloomweaver has infinite HP"...for flavor reasons it's the former in this particular match, even though Viz says he prefers one of the latter two, he hasn't decided which yet), and in the toughest Environment besides.  Basically the concept is that Gloomweaver may or may not actually exist, certainly we don't see him in this "movie", but his cult is plenty dangerous even without him, and if they manage to complete the summoning ritual he'll be loose upon the world in physical form, whether or not he was ever real before.  Regardless of how this match turns out, the next Gloomweaver battle won't happen until after Nightmist is introduced into the hero roster (it'll be a while since we haven't even brought Ra or Visionary in yet), and at that point, it'll be a "normal" game using his advanced text.  But in this game, you can only win by destroying the Relics, and if they take their own sweet time coming out, that just means the cult has more time to try and kill you.  This is meant to be a "dark and gritty" stage in the "movie" cycle, where the comics it's based on are more like EC Horror than standard superhero fare.  It'll kind of make up for how easy the Matriarch game was, and both of them are screwy mechanically because of the flavor; once they're out of the way, this should be the last match for a while which uses house rules.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Hurm... so much for just hoping to drop Take Downs until the baddie cries.  Well-played.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

At least we aren't playing with tempest and crying cuz our shackles just sit there

Edwin

Ironic wrote:
Hurm... so much for just hoping to drop Take Downs until the baddie cries.  Well-played.

Even with substantially improved chances of finding Take Down, you only have two in your deck, so without Visionary, Tempest, Scholar or Adept to recur it, it can at most buy you two free turns without retaliation.  It only massacred the Matriarch because Viz gave you like two other full rounds of free buildup before anything started to happen (which I don't really think was a great idea, but he said he suspected as much at the time anyway).

Edwin

Alright, our next game will be forming up shortly.  Here's the tentative lineup:

Tachyon, Unity, Mr. Fixer

Vs. Plague Rat

in Pike Industrial Complex

Special houserule:  Plague Rat counts as a Rat and receives the bonuses of Experimental Mutagen.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I'm willing to play if there's interest. I've a preference for Unity or Tachyon, as I've never played Fixer before.

Odin
Odin's picture

If I had more time I would love to play fixer but currently with AP tests coming up and senior year coming to a close. I'm going to have to sit this out.

Edwin

It's beginning to look like we may not have any players....perhaps the SCUverse concept just needs to go into hibernation for a while.

Odin
Odin's picture

Are we finishing the kismet game?

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

The moderator got banned (again)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

lol

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Odin
Odin's picture

I was pretty sure that was envisioner, he asked for a message i had sent the envisioner account. Well I guess kismet is done lol

Pages