The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Akash'bhuta super-turn and shuffling

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester
Akash'bhuta super-turn and shuffling

So, me and some buddies were playing Akash'bhuta, and we pretty much witnessed a supreme super-turn.  She started on her "normal" side, played a limb, and that triggered a card play from the env.  It played the Experimental Mutagen, resulting in all 4 rats coming back from the discard.  The first 2 rats brought in other limbs (and thus more env. cards), and the final rat brought in Primeval Eruption, which brought in enough limbs to force an env. shuffle, thus flipping Akash'bhuta.  Off of the "play the top card of the villain deck" from Primeval Eruption, she got Disrupt the Field, which resulted in all the rats dying, and triggering the now flipped Akash'bhuta for more plays.

Now, I don't have any problem with the fact that it happened.  It was the "perfect storm" of plays, and it actually turned out to be pretty cool.  However, the additional plays from the rats dying triggered Akash to shuffle, and raised a question:

I assume that, under normal circumstances, a one-shot is "in play" while it's resolving (this is mostly supported by how the Matriarch's mask works), thus, if its resolution triggers a villain shuffle, said card is NOT shuffled in.  However, when cards "chain" together, as commonly happens in Akash'bhuta's deck, does the "parent" wait for the "child" to fully resolve before going to the discard?

Using the example above, Primeval Eruption -> Disrupt the Field -> villain shuffle.  Does Primeval Eruption stay out until Disrupt the Field is fully resolved, or does it go to the discard as soon as you start resolving Disrupt the Field?

Using another case, if Disrupt the Field triggers a shuffle (via env. cards being destroyed triggering villain plays, or off of the "Play the top card of the villain deck"), I assume it AT LEAST stays out, because it still needs to execute its "Play the top card of the env. deck" action.

I realize this is SIMILAR to the discussion occuring in http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/forum/topic/quick-terminology-clarification-played-and-first-time but I thought it was sufficiently different to merit its own thread.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

The programmer in me (as well as the specific scenario involving how cards react to other cards coming into play which I believe to be correct) says that any one-shot cards should remain in play until, first, all cards reacting to it coming into play have resolved, then any interactive text on the one-shot, as well as any reactions to any instructions in the interative text, have resolved.  After all that is complete, then it is discarded to the appropriate trash.

Or whatever.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

flamethrower49
Playtester

I wing it, and don't stress out about it too much.  Which is kinda heresy, coming from me.  I lay them out on the table all nested, and put them in the trash when they are done.  Disrupt the Field is SO BAD with the nesting, but it's fun to watch.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Also, you did it wrong. It says whenever a villain target comes into play, DISCARD the top card of the environment deck, not play it. So you should have discarded mutagen, not played it.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Also, you did it wrong. It says whenever a villain target comes into play, DISCARD the top card of the environment deck, not play it. So you should have discarded mutagen, not played it.

While perhaps stated a bit more bluntly than I would have, I agree that when a villain target comes into play, one is supposed to discard the top of the environment deck, not play it.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

WOW, how did I so horribly misread that.  I even looked back at the playtest notes, and I was playing it wrong then too.  Man, funny how once something sticks in your head, you don't bother to, ya know, READ.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

broccoli wrote:

Man, funny how once something sticks in your head, you don't bother to, ya know, READ.

Yeah, me too.

Also, for a while I was telling people that Ambuscade was an alien, a la Predator. He's actually from France.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Lol. 

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

For someone who is from France there isn't a lot of French on his cards, only one single word; I don't think that does him justice, flavour wise.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Matchstickman wrote:

For someone who is from France there isn't a lot of French on his cards, only one single word; I don't think that does him justice, flavour wise.

Being from Quebec I noticed that too. , i ahve to force myself to remember he's French. Of course, he seems to be a parody, albeit an evil one, of JVCD. 

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

UXM266 wrote:

Matchstickman wrote:

Being from Quebec I noticed that too. , i ahve to force myself to remember he's French. Of course, he seems to be a parody, albeit an evil one, of JVCD.  

Fulfilling his lifelong dream of being Kraven the Hunter.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

He reminds me of Slade from Teen Titans. The mask, the suave, calm nature, even his blow-stuff-up powers.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Veet

arenson9 wrote:

Yeah, me too.Also, for a while I was telling people that Ambuscade was an alien, a la Predator. He's actually from France.

So you're saying he's a conehead?

My 8 year old son and I both agree that we like Chuck E Cheese better than Plague Rat. He is much easier to beat up.