The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Added diversity to fixed decks?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
siyano1983
Added diversity to fixed decks?

Is there going to be some sort of additionnal card going to be added to most deck?

I love the game a lot and would like sometimes to slightly change the fixed deck :) (but still keep the same amount of cards in deck)

Let say you want more X or less Y (usually around limited)

Althought I would guess it would slightly break the all that great game :)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

The designers have stated that they have no plans to ever alter the contents of any decks.  The decks are balanced against themselves, and adding cards could mess with that.  They'll release new decks, but not change up previously released decks.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

siyano1983

Thought so :)

I'm waiting patiently my expansion then

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

Probably the closest thing is the promo character cards. They can drastically alter the way a deck feels without ever changing actual cards. See: Young Legacy, Mad Bomber Blade, Eternal Haka, etc.

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

LCinn
LCinn's picture

I suppose it could be a different kind of promo card that replaces a card/set of cards in the deck, instead of the character card. But it does seem like that might be confusing, so I can understand why >G doesn't want to do this.

Koey
Koey's picture
Playtester

Well I think they are sort of experimenting with it but not in the exact way mentioned.

Like Bunker: Engine of War and Eternal Haka. Both give cards they previously had extra functions. (ie. Destroy ongoing or draw more cards)

Makes it seem more like the character's fighting style has changed or grown over time but their power and abilities are still the same.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I much prefer the idea of just using promo cards to change the way the decks are played rather than actually changing the contents of the deck. Like Koey said, Engine Bunker is totally different and far more tactical than regular Bunker.

Think of Horus Ra too: Rather than having a base attack power that you augment, you rely on working through your deck to find specific cards to augment your overall strength and then usually rely on his other powers, or more commonly his one-shots.

Freedom Tempest: His power does similar to Horus Ra--makes him stop relying on ongoing cards and drives him to use one-shots.

And I really miss the villain promo cards. We've got promo cards for a lot of heroes, but only two villains. I loved the idea of that, because it's a chance to much more radically change the villain deck. For those of you who have them, think about the difference between regular Baron Blade and Mad Bomber Blade. It takes the easiest villain in the game and gives him a difficulty increase and totally changes the way he plats his deck. How cool is that?

I hope we can see more of those in the future.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Will they ever re-release the decks with the promo character art?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Will they ever re-release the decks with the promo character art?

Which decks? Hero or villain?

If you want the hero promo cards, they will eventually release an "unlimited" run where they will be the same promo cards but marked differently to distinguish them from the original promo cards.

The villain promos can be bought in the oversized villain card package. The small versions of the promos were also exclusives.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I meant will we ever gave a Legacy deck filled with art of Young Legacy?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

You mean decks with the same cards/card text but with pictures of Young Legacy on them instead of Normal Legacy?  I can't imagine why they'd do that.  The cards would play the same either way.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Yeah, that seems rather time consuming, and I doubt they'd be in very much demand at all. It's a neat idea, but it would waste time, and probably a lot of money. I don't know how many of us would be willing to buy decks just for some different art. Especially considering how many promo cards their are. I certainly wouldn't bother spending money on a deck I already have.

boxwood
Playtester

evandan55 wrote:
For those of you who have them, think about the difference between regular Baron Blade and Mad Bomber Blade. It takes the easiest villain in the game and gives him a difficulty increase and totally changes the way he plats his deck. How cool is that?I hope we can see more of those in the future.

I love how different Mad Bomber Blade (MBB) and regular Baron Blade play, I'd love to see an alternate Citizen Dawn, where she transforms her compound of minoion citizens into some sort of Cult of the Sun (I've been reading into Heaven's Gate and to a lesser extent Jonestown recently.)

In my head she would play like a cross between MBB and Spite, where you need to maybe rescue her followers from her. 

In short I too would love to see more promo villains

Koey
Koey's picture
Playtester

Well at least for my own suspicions, vengeance would be the Successor of the Freedom Five. Thus new decks and would allow for the nemesis rule to work with the old Heroes.

I feel like we would might get a Young Legacy deck in the Vengeance. (I mean works towards the fall of finest legacy.)

Which would play differently and would be even more awesome if it works well with the other Legacy promos.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Just wondering. I know there are people who bought multiple decks already so they can play both cards. It would also take a lot less time to do this then to make an entirely new deck and balance it. But to be honest, I just want more art. Another comic instead would be just as good (but less cryptic).

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'd love to see Young Legacy make a comeback with her own deck, but I'm suspicious about that happening. I don't think the battle with the Vengful Vive is where the turning point of one Legacy dying occurs. They mention that one of the Legacies dies in the same battle in both timelines. And we see the end of this battle in the Final Evolution card, where Baron Blade is wearing his regular labcoat costume. So the Vengeance showdown probably isn't where the turning point occurs.

But we could still get a Young Legacy deck. Who knows. Maybe some of the others from here will be right and we'll get a Young Legacy deck, and the other four heroes will be her own team of heroes, a sort of "Teen Titans" kind of team (teenagers not actually required).

But I'm a little doubtful on that. Though it would be nice to see more complete teams of heroes in the game. Like the Prime Wardens.

Who still haven't been finished. One more member. Come on, give him to us. Then we can finally start the "Freedom Five vs. Prime Wardens" discussions that are sure to occur.

zerosatanmine

I don't know that I would want a Young Legacy deck. It seems like it would kind of make the Young Legacy promo card useless (in a strange place) if you're meant to play that with the Legacy deck but you also have a different Young Legacy that is only supposed to be played with a different deck.

Also, more promo villians would be awesome. However, a promo villian would obviously be harder to design and balance than a promo hero card (I'm assuming) so I can understand why they would be slower to release promo villians.

Speaking of promos, I would love to see a Mr. Fixer promo card. I envision a Mr. Fixer card that has a power that lends itself to a tanking type role (some sort of healing might be nice). I could total see that working and it seems like a fun way to try to play Mr. Fixer. Plus, Mr. Fixer seems like the cool kind of dude that would want to throw himself in the way of attacks to protect people.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

zerosatanmine wrote:

Speaking of promos, I would love to see a Mr. Fixer promo card. I envision a Mr. Fixer card that has a power that lends itself to a tanking type role (some sort of healing might be nice). I could total see that working and it seems like a fun way to try to play Mr. Fixer. Plus, Mr. Fixer seems like the cool kind of dude that would want to throw himself in the way of attacks to protect people.

There's another thread here in which we had a very lengthy dicussion about this. And Expatriette. I'll go find it and link it in a second.

We did bring up the fact that no matter what, a Mr. Fixer promo would have to have a power that allows him to attack, since attacking is really his only ability. It's his main way of dealing damage, and almost his entire deck just augments the damage he deals, so he has to be able to deal damage. His only other option would be using Charge, but there's only three copies of that card, and that would not be reliable at all.

But the biggest problem with a Mr. Fixer promo: Overdrive. It specifically says "you may use Mr. Fixer's 'Strike' power twice." If he ever had a power other than Strike, that would make Overdrive--arguably his best card--useless.

EDIT: Promo Mr. Fixer discussion starts here.

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

Ooh, tank Fixer would be interesting. Maybe add a clause to Strike that targets dealt damage this way redirect to Fixer the next time they deal damage. It would make his redirect stance super fun.

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.

zerosatanmine

evandan55 wrote:

zerosatanmine wrote:   We did bring up the fact that no matter what, a Mr. Fixer promo would have to have a power that allows him to attack, since attacking is really his only ability. It's his main way of dealing damage, and almost his entire deck just augments the damage he deals, so he has to be able to deal damage. His only other option would be using Charge, but there's only three copies of that card, and that would not be reliable at all.But the biggest problem with a Mr. Fixer promo: Overdrive. It specifically says "you may use Mr. Fixer's 'Strike' power twice." If he ever had a power other than Strike, that would make Overdrive--arguably his best card--useless.EDIT: Promo Mr. Fixer discussion starts here.

Yeah, obviously it would still have to be called Strike. I was trying to think of something that dealt damage and maybe healed him. Maybe like that Fanatic card that lets her deal 1 damage and heal 1 hp.

They made it really hard to give him a new power though because his Strike only deals 1 damage. Adding anything else to it would make it hands down better then the old card and no one would ever use the original Mr. Fixer again.

This Mr. Fixer is a tough nut to crack.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I don't get the impression there is any intention - or interest - in creating an alternate Mr. Fixer. Overdrive is good evidence to me they won't create an alternate. Also, the fact he's dead in the future (as implied by Golem Unity wearing his hat and the fact he's already in his 80s at the timing of Rook City) is good evidence he won't have a later version. He could have a younger version (as I'm sure he's had a great life history building to this point), but that probably would have shown up in Shattered Timelines if it was going to show up anyplace, so I'm willing to put good money on not getting an alternate Mr. Fixer.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

I kinda feel like it has to be something that's sometimes better and sometimes worse. That's one reason I like the redirect idea, with really beefy characters around the redirect would actually be a drawback, but if he has certain cards out it could be really good.

zerosatanmine

Rabit wrote:

I don't get the impression there is any intention - or interest - in creating an alternate Mr. Fixer. Overdrive is good evidence to me they won't create an alternate. Also, the fact he's dead in the future (as implied by Golem Unity wearing his hat and the fact he's already in his 80s at the timing of Rook City) is good evidence he won't have a later version. He could have a younger version (as I'm sure he's had a great life history building to this point), but that probably would have shown up in Shattered Timelines if it was going to show up anyplace, so I'm willing to put good money on not getting an alternate Mr. Fixer.

Well, you can never say never for alternate character cards. I mean, they need ideas for future promos (I'm assuming they'll be promos in the future) and alternate character cards are an established promo so it could happen.

Obviously Mr. Fixer's power would have to be named Strike if they were to make a promo card otherwise Overdrive would be useless. I didn't claim to be a game designer, I don't know how they'd make it work (I'll leave that in Christopher's capable hands) but you can't deny that it is at least a possibility.

cmschex
Playtester

Has it been confirmed there will be future promos?  With no more Kickstarters, I would assume they'd just be sold on a card by card basis.

zerosatanmine

Well, I haven't heard any confirmation. It would be cool if they just sold alternate villian/character cards. They might have promos like other games do where you get them if you order from their website early or something. If they do continue promos, I hope they don't do them only for people that buy at conventions though. I dislike con-only promos, especially since I have very little money (only enough to actually buy the games) and I can't afford to ever attend any of the conventions they visit (though I'd love to meet the guys in person).

boxwood
Playtester

cmschex wrote:

Has it been confirmed there will be future promos?  With no more Kickstarters, I would assume they'd just be sold on a card by card basis.

No more kickstarters for Sentinels, not GTG products, they could easily put Sentinels promos as extended rewards for when their Galactic Strike Force Kickstarter comes around
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Actually the promos were originally made to be given out at conventions not for kickstarter. Also, there is nothing stopping them from giving them out in the GSF kickstarter (it would be a good cross promotion).

EDIT: Beat me to it.

zerosatanmine

Slight derailment here, but I totally want more info on GSF. Take my money GtG!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Here's a bit of GSF info: the GSF Kickstarter will have no SotM promos. Just GSF promos.

Enjoy!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

zerosatanmine

Christopher wrote:

Here's a bit of GSF info: the GSF Kickstarter will have no SotM promos. Just GSF promos.Enjoy!

That makes perfect sense! It was so obvious.

Any info on the future of SoTM promos? Your adoring fanbase wants to know.

Khedron
Khedron's picture
Playtester

zerosatanmine wrote:
Well, you can never say never for alternate character cards. I mean, they need ideas for future promos (I'm assuming they'll be promos in the future) and alternate character cards are an established promo so it could happen.Obviously Mr. Fixer's power would have to be named Strike if they were to make a promo card otherwise Overdrive would be useless. I didn't claim to be a game designer, I don't know how they'd make it work (I'll leave that in Christopher's capable hands) but you can't deny that it is at least a possibility.

There are probably ways they could make a non-Strike power work.  For example, something along the lines of "Mr. Fixer deals 1 target 1 melee damage.  Discard a card named 'Overdrive'; if you do, draw 3 cards."

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

I'm with Rabit. I can't see a Mr. Fixer promo happening in the future. And I'm totally fine with that.

And the promo character/villain cards could always just be con-exclusives. That works with me. Wouldn't be good for some international folks or those who can't get to a convention, but then again, if they keep doing the Sentinels Points program at the cons, people who do go to the cons like me might be inclined to spend some Sentinels Points on spare promo cards and send them to folks who want them.

cmschex
Playtester

As someone who isn't close to any of the cons the GTG folks attend (and can't afford to travel to one), put me as one in the camp who would be happy to pay for promos a la carte but would be disappointed if they were con only

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/948054/how-exclusive-does-a-exclusive-need-to-be-before-i

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that this discussions is also happening on BGG. I am on the side the nothing should be exclusive if it changes gameply (probaly because I am a completionist). I don't mind that GtG said that the promos will be reprinted, but also be slightly different to keep the KS exclusiveness.

dragon2439
dragon2439's picture

cmschex wrote:

As someone who isn't close to any of the cons the GTG folks attend (and can't afford to travel to one), put me as one in the camp who would be happy to pay for promos a la carte but would be disappointed if they were con only

Me too. I love the promo heroes (and would like to see promo villains) as they are almost like playing a mostly new hero.

Koey
Koey's picture
Playtester

Mini Expansions seems to be a good way to go.

They might be a bit more pricey but at least they provide cool game play.

Who knows we might see a promo Environment that gives constant effects and would be a great way to have a main card to randomize like Heroes and Villans.