The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Action Figures of the Multiverse!

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester
Action Figures of the Multiverse!

I realized something. We've talked alot about the meta of Sentinel Comics. Things like movies, cartoons, spin-off tv series, and even the company itself. Yet there's one thing we haven't touched. I don't know about you guys, but one of my favorite aspects of comicbook culture are the toys and figures that flood the isles of Walmart and Toys'R'Us(RIP). So with that, I want to talk about what kinds of action figures and toys kid you(and maybe even adult you) would love to see and play with. :3

I already know I'd really want a Bunker deluxe action figure. You know, the kind that's way bigger than your standard action figure and costs at least twice as much. They'd have some snap-on missile launchers that fire 'real' missiles, or maybe a gattling gun that can spin and makes sounds. Maybe there's even some buttons on the back that makes the suit talk or make the suit's eyes light up. The best feature by far would be that the suit's chest could open up to reveal a small Tyler Vance figure that you can take out and play with! :D

What about you guys? Have any ideas what kind of action figures or toys you'd want of the SC characters?

Godai
Godai's picture

I want the 80’s Action Figure of the Naturalist. Just him in his costume, and his chest has that big spinning cylinder that shows the icons for the three forms he can take.

”Oh yeah, well the Naturalist goes *spinnnnnnn* Rhino form, and totally beats up your lame Ambuscade, Jimmy!”

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

I want a Setback action figure that comes pre-broken. :)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Heh, my brother's had figures that used that chest cylinder 'toy gimmick'. Those were pretty fun. :)

Maybe they could have a 'transformer' style figure set for each of his forms. They maybe could even color his costume differently for each one, so you can tell wich figure transforms into what animal.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I'd just want a Unity with a tiny Mr. Chomps.

A "Stretch Armstrong"-like Guise toy would be pretty cool, too.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I had an idea for another FV figure, This time being Legacy. It's not as involved as my Bunker idea, but it has a fun gimmick or two.

First and foremost I see him having a real cape that snaps onto his neck, like lots of older Batman figures do. Things like that just add a little something more when you're playing. As for special actions, I can see something along the line of it having spring-loaded arm that swing upward into a 'flying' position, activated with maybe a button press or squeezing the figure's legs together. A Young Legacy/Beacon figure with that feature would be cool too. Especially if she has light-up eyes for her atomic vision. ;)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

A figurine of the Adept, with a set of instruments that you can click into his hands :D. Or similarly, the Wraith, with various (plastic ;)) knives and stuff that she can hold ont...same with Expatriette and her guns. Jim, with replaceable arm attachments! Lilian, with a bunch of teeny-tiny birdies that you can slowly lose over time only to rediscover later by stepping on them in an incredibly painful way! Baron Blade, with his own MDP, complete with Blade Batallion figurines! Insula Primalis, a giant plastic volcano with a light inside you can turn on to show it's erupting, plus dino figures of course! Ab'Zero, who changes from blue to red when he gets warm!

And many more!

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

How awesome would it be to have a giant Stalwart Mothership, complete with Grand Warlord Voss at the helm and multiple levels through which the heroes and minions could battle?  I'm thinking something along the lines of the ubiquitous GI Joe aircraft carrier or the Eternia playset from Masters of the Universe.

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

So, is there any reason GtG couldn't make these a real thing?  I know they've said publishing actual comic books isn't financially viable, but are toys better?

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I... Highly doubt that producing toys will be any easier than producing a comic book. It's a whole different process than making a game, and I don't think it would be as profitable. Making plastic figurenes is EXPENSIVE, let alone a full action figure.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Literally the entire reason I bought the painted Tactics miniatures holiday sale bundle a while back is because I figured it was the closest I'd ever get to Sentinels action figures.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Admittedly, I don't really know anything about the economics of the toy industry, but I know movies often make even more money from their merchandising than from the movie itself, so I figured the same sort of idea might apply here.  Obviously GtG wouldn't be making the actual toys themselves, but would license the characters for Hasbro or whomever to make.  I know this isn't likely to happen, but I wanted to throw the idea out there in case they're like, "Hey, we could actually do this."

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

I always preferred my toys to be relatively small (palm sized at most), pretty resistant to damage (I want to throw it around without much risk of losing my toy), and water resistant (so I bring them to the pool and play their adventures in Atlantis or similar).    

Some specific ideas:

-Vehicles that you could put all the other toys inside: The Freedom Five Jet, Expatriette's motorcycle, any kind of cool car like... The Wraithmobile?

I don't if there's any iconic vehicle in Sentinels, but I'm sure toy companies would make up lots of new ones for some extra bucks: Legacy's desert buggy! Absolute Zero's snowmobile!  Tachyon's jet-skateboard! Naturalist's monster truck (with accessories for each animal form, and a smoke-blowing gimmick)!

-Cool bases and enviroments that you can play with the toys inside: The mobile defense platform (with a retractable semi-transparente plastic dome)! The Freedom Tower (or atleast rooms of it)! Wargner Mars Base! The tome of Anubis (with little buttons to activate the traps)!

-Cloth (or something similarly flexible)! I was so used to toys having stiff plastic capes and similar that any cloth accesory was the coolest thing ever. Give me those flowy capes and those extra uniforms that you can dress your guys with (like Baron Blade's laboratory coat o Chrono Rangers Poncho). 

-Transformable toys were some of my favorite. I'd spend hours just transforming them again and again. Naturalist would be a bit hard to do without looking weird, but I could see something like a Unity Golem that you can transform into another, or even combine the small ones to make a Turret Bot or similar.

Quote:
 The best feature by far would be that the suit's chest could open up to reveal a small Tyler Vance figure that you can take out and play with! :D

Exactly what I always wanted as a kid, although Kid-Clerk would probably get rid of the "boring military dude" and put other toys inside it to mix things up. 

Something similar for Baron Blade's armor would also be neat. 

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

1. Sentinel Comics Lego sets.  That’s the one I’d want.  That, or like some sort of tabletop game spinoff of the comics.  But I heard that performed really poorly and nobody bought it.  Shame, it might have been cool.

2. Also, this is like a real thing that I think would be super cool- .STL files for those of us with 3D printers to print our own Legacies, Wraiths, and Proletariat (which I assume is already plural because “he” is like 80 people at any given time).

Demiher0
Demiher0's picture
Playtester

... so the sentinels of freeeedom Kickstarter kinda listened...https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/underbite/sentinels-of-freedom/post...

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That sounds like something that could be a "sometime later" project, maybe even another Kickstarter.

yayeahyeah

Godai wrote:

I want the 80’s Action Figure of the Naturalist. Just him in his costume, and his chest has that big spinning cylinder that shows the icons for the three forms he can take.”Oh yeah, well the Naturalist goes *spinnnnnnn* Rhino form, and totally beats up your lame Ambuscade, Jimmy!”

This would be AMAZING!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

So, I don't know if everyone knows this, but toy photography is actually a hobby of mine. One of these days, I plan on getting into making some customs, and these are the first on my list. Figured I'd let everyone know, but don't hold your breath. :-)

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

X-metal
X-metal's picture

The op got me thinking aboit how Lego did a deluxe hulkbuster set that was bigger than their regular hulkbuster set and now I want to see a large lego bunker suit with a little tyler vance minifigure.

His name is Sephiroth but his friends call him Sephie.

TheBazaarClerk
TheBazaarClerk's picture

Quote:
Figured I'd let everyone know, but don't hold your breath. :-)

Too late, I am already asphyxiating! 

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

There's also the possibility of roleplay toys. Things like Legacy and Wraith capes, plastic Bunker and AZ masks and Tachyon goggles, watches with the FV logo on them that have little flashlights that project pictures of each hero, wrist launchers that fire plastic 'Razor Ordinance' knives and Flak Cannons with firing sounds...

Not to mention the flood of Halloween costumes.

Flint Paper

Hmmmm. I am actually in the early stages of my biggest custom project ever: action figures of every single hero and villain in the Multiverse. I have nearly all the figures that I need for almost everyone except the Citizens of the Sun (Dawn's all set), Biomancer's Fleshchildrene, the FILTER crew, and the gladiators (Kaargara, similarly, is all set). Missing some of the minor villains, too, but I'll get there. But otherwise, every hero, every villain and most of the minor villains, several of the environment targets, accessories, and variants have their bases figures selected and isolated. It's going to be a LOT of work but I'm pretty chuffed about it.

I am in the process of setting up my workplace at my new apartment and organizing so that I can get started in earnest, maybe in the near future I can at least put up some in-progress photos. Once I have time to set up the photo studio on the dining room table, that is.

liarliar
liarliar's picture

Thinking about it, I’d probably be super into some of those micro-playset toys like Mighty Max or Polly Pocket - an environment like Freedom Tower or the Tomb of Anubis, each with at least a hero, a villain, and a mook, with some cool little set pieces, I think that would be really amazing.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Flint Paper wrote:

Hmmmm. I am actually in the early stages of my biggest custom project ever: action figures of every single hero and villain in the Multiverse. I have nearly all the figures that I need for almost everyone except the Citizens of the Sun (Dawn's all set), Biomancer's Fleshchildrene, the FILTER crew, and the gladiators (Kaargara, similarly, is all set). Missing some of the minor villains, too, but I'll get there. But otherwise, every hero, every villain and most of the minor villains, several of the environment targets, accessories, and variants have their bases figures selected and isolated. It's going to be a LOT of work but I'm pretty chuffed about it.I am in the process of setting up my workplace at my new apartment and organizing so that I can get started in earnest, maybe in the near future I can at least put up some in-progress photos. Once I have time to set up the photo studio on the dining room table, that is.

We should talk... Seriously. Send me an email. . :-)

Edit: To be clear, this isn't scary cease and desist kind of stuff. This is "my major hobby is taking photos of action figures" stuff, and I happen to have a particular interest in photographing Sentinel Comics stuff if it's ever around.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

steveothemocker

I could picture an Absolute Zero toy that had the color changing pastic sticking out of his hands. So it changed Blue when cold and red when hot to pretend he was shooting frost or flame.

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

Nano Metalfigs of Sentinels would be awesome.

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

The Girl With N...

I'm certain Baron Blade made like... lead-based Legacy toys at one point, to try and ruin his arch-enemy's reputation. That or he sold every piece separately. 

"Legacy Longtorsooooooo! Wht-tsh! He's long!"

Julia
Playtester

I once upon a time (years ago, after making my Lego SotM minifigs) converted all known sizes of the (human-shaped) Multiverse characters down to 1:6th scale to make Barbies/Action Men/whatever-your-articulated, redressable-figure-of-your-choice is custom characters, and then created a spreadsheet of closest available bodys and existing doll facemolds for each of the characters (back then there were a lot fewer, obvisiously). 

I still have the speadsheet and a lot of the heads, body parts, clothes and accessories, but after I was utterly unable to obtain this one particular head for the Unity doll (unfortunately, that head was only created for one specific doll in one particular line and never reused), I kinda lost my buzz. 

Mind you, I would never have bothered with a full Guise action figure. A Guise PEZ dispenser would have done the trick. 

Semper ludens.

Under3
Under3's picture
Playtester

I have a half done Expatriette custom based on a Maria Hill figure and some various bits and pieces for other characters.
I should dig them out and actually finish them off some time.