The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Accidental Nightmist Unlock

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence
Accidental Nightmist Unlock

So, I was trying to unlock DW Nightmist, and I had things perfectly set up.  Nightmist had Master of Magic in play, Oblivion* in hand, and Argent Adept has two Vernal Sonatas ready to put two 4s on top of my deck.  But there is a slight problem.  Actually, two slight problems.  The first is that I only have one 4 in the trash (having just used a Mist Fueled Recovery on AA's turn in order to come back up from 9 life), and there's an Ethereal Bonds in play ready to paralyze Nightmist.  So, what do I do?  I could just discard a 4 to Mistbound, but that wouldn't deal with the Bonds.  I have a Planar Banishment, but that isn't a 4.

But!  I actually have two Oblivions, and one of them is a 4.  So my plan is this:  Play Oblivion, kill the Bonds, and then on the next turn Vernal Sonata twice (using Alacritous Subdominant) to put the two 4s on top of the deck, and then Oblivion.  Sounds like a plan!  So I play Oblivion, and... flip two 4s accidentally, and unlock the variant a turn earlier than I had planned.  Whoops.

I then proceeded to crush Voss as he so rightly deserved.

*Suddenly, spelling "Oblivion" normally is really difficult.  I'm really looking forward to defeating OblivAeon using Oblivion.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

saykhia
saykhia's picture

There you go - a rebuttal for those who were (somewhat) recently complaining about the unlock requirements requiring doing weird stuff you wouldn't normally do in other games.

Having said that, I still have yet to unlock Skinny Gloomy due to the idea of protracted fight against Spite.

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

schadkehnfreude
schadkehnfreude's picture

Having said that, I still have yet to unlock Skinny Gloomy due to the idea of protracted fight against Spite.

You and me both.  I'm thinking that for that fight, I'd take along at least 2 out of Wraith, Tach and Scholar so I can zero out Spite:AoGloom's damage the turn before he'd flip and from there go to town with the damage, clearing out the safe house ASAP and then using Eyepiece to keep Spite from wrecking a victim.  

But that'd require me to actually *play* against Spite so.... yeah.

saykhia
saykhia's picture

schadkehnfreude wrote:

But that'd require me to actually *play* against Spite so.... yeah.

Yeah.

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

schadkehnfreude
schadkehnfreude's picture

I went ahead and unlocked the Gloomy variant today - the team was Wraith, TL Tach, Dark Visionary, Scholar and Chrono, in that order.  It went fine because I had a ton of damage reduction.  Also you want a 5-hero team so that the turn after Spite:AoGloom flips each of your heros can pull out a victim so that when Chrono (the clean-up guy) starts his turn there are 5 victims in play and by then you've hopefully done enough chip damage that Chrono can finish Spite off.  I'd actually whittled down Spite so much that I held back on the last round so that Chrono could get the kill-shot.

Still, though, Spite is such a *chore* to play against