The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

a oddly broken game.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
mrskwid
a oddly broken game.

so my friend and i were playing (one hero each)i was mister fixer and my friend was visionary.
we were fighting plague rat, in pike.
we killed plague locust pretty fast but then i died. then my friend draw telekinetic cocoon and then for the rest of the 20 minute game the environment we won but it was not a fun game.
we trend the same thing with kismet i think with nightmist's misinform but it was destroyed soon after begin played.
so maybe not broken but maybe not in the "spirit" of the game.

Jason T skwid.
business man, champion boxer. secret ruler of the rook city underground.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

First, welcome to thr forums!

Second, SotM isn't meant for only 2 heroes. One person shoild have been playing two heroes, or you can try using one of the two hero variants.

Third, yes sometimes Telekinetic Cocoon or Mistform can give an easy win, especiallu if the villain doesn't have Ongoing destruction.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Glad to have you here!

Yeah, fundamentally the game is a 3-5 hero game. You can play 2 players (we do this often with 2 heroes each) - you can even do 1 player with 3 (or more) heroes - but just playing 2 heroes will be a horrible experience.

As Pydro mentioned, there are 2-player variants around (both here and on BoardGameGeek.com), although nothing official. I can't vouch for any of them, though, as I've never played them.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

There are a few no-destruction villains that can be beaten with those strategies.  All the rest have some destruction and will eventually get Cocoon or Mistform.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

But also relies on the environment being one that will be able to kill the villain, unless of course you have Demoralization as The Visionary.

With Plague Rat, he does have Bestial Vitality, which will heal him by 3 and gives him DR1. He also has Sewer Fiend, which will straight out make him unable to be harmed by the environment. Meaning, it could be a never ending game!

Baron Blade, only having optional destruction will be hard for this method as well. Since his front side has the time limit, odds are the environment won't kill him in time. If the heroes are able to get him to flip, he also has 2 Living Force Fields, along with Flesh Repair Nanites. Giving him a DR2 and the occasional healing.

Grand Warlord Voss only has 1 ship the can destroy ongoings, so it is possible to defeat him. But heavily dependant on the Environment, The Block and Ruins of Atlantis are ones that can make easy work of Voss' minions.

GloomWeaver, is king of a toss up. He can get a DR2 thanks to 2 Profane Zealots. Their low HP can result in environment targets that target the lowest for a lot of damage (Kraken) will have a good shot. The Pouch of Bones can provide some healing when a Zombie enters play.

Ambuscade, he can also get the DR2 with Reactive Plating, but each of those devices only have DR1. So killing the lowest targets are key in this game, but Ambuscade has a lot of targets with lower HP, making it difficult. Also Quick Stim Patch can provide him some healing. Charged Attacks could speed up dealing him damage, but it may also kill Environment targets, giving him a chance to heal up thanks to the break in damage.

mrskwid

(pydro)totally agree that SOTM needs more then two but this was the first we tried with only two and we were in a car playing another hero would have been tough.

(ronway)one of mister fixer's incap powers is to kill an ongoing, so sewer fiend and Bestial Vitality wern't to mutch truble 

thank's for the worm welcomelaugh

Jason T skwid.
business man, champion boxer. secret ruler of the rook city underground.