The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

A mean 3 character team?

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester
A mean 3 character team?

Just played Argent Adept, Legacy, and Setback against Akash'bhuta in the Final Wasteland.  I expected to get slaughtered.  Instead, I won with all heroes at full health.  Wrong Time and Place was amazing here, with Friendly Fire allowing Legacy and Setback to hit the villains twice with each attack.  Argent Adept kept Setback playing cards that gave him tokens or using Looking Up.  It was awesome.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Another one is Legacy, Fixer, and Sky-Scraper. Buff your damage, get Jack Handle out, and keep repeatedly putting Compulsion Canister on Fixer. It's super cheesy, but effective.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

Wow, L/F/SS is abusive.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

My go-to is Legacy, Wraith, and Tempest. Covers all of your bases.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Bowie wrote:

Wow, L/F/SS is abusive.

Yeah. It was pretty BS.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I just tried it as well, and yeah. But even funnier was the fact that I had Guise on my team. "Greetings, fellow heroes! I am Legacy, and this is my jack handle." Soooo much damage!

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Legacy, Visionary and Omnitron-X can completely shut down most villains.

Visionary takes Take Down out of Legacy's trash and puts it on top of the deck. O-X uses timeshift to put it into play. Repeat as necessary, the villain never gets to play cards.

(Of course, this doesn't work that well on all villains -- Dreamer and Miss Information, for instance, you need to play cards eventually.)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Had a good game once with TLT, the Adept, and Unity, in that order - TLT did what she does best, Adept got out Inventive Preparation on the first or second turn and kept using it on Unity, then Unity's bots massacred all the bad things :D.

I expect Greatest Legacy, Cosmic, and the Adept would be a good combo, with the first two supplying many free power uses to the Adept - deliberately punching the Dynamic Siphons won't matter once the Adept is set up to be able to immediately heal them back up again :D.

Another good session can come from Legacy, Ra, and any third hero if you're in Insula Primalis. Then Ra burns everything for masses of damage till the volcano comes out, then instead makes everyone immune to it so it can finish the job. Had a very short game against Akash'Bhuta with that once :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Legacy, Visionary, and Argent Adept is pretty fun too. Visionary, surprisingly, takes on the damage role, with Demoralization and her one-shots, she Argent handles healing and general support. Legacy, as usual, is tanky and buffy.

-- Trajector

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Legacy, Chrono Ranger, Ra. 

Incredible damage output. 

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hmm, I can't remember...can an Energy Bracer be played on any hero target, or just on the heroes themselves? Because if they can, then Captain Cosmic paired with Unity could be pretty ridiculous (here you go, Stealth Bot :D) alongside anyone who could let Unity get her cards out faster (because that's never a bad thing) :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Energy Bracer can only go on hero character cards.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I don't think that was the case during playtesting, and it was changed for that exact reason. Of course, once the Sentinels are available, that will still be a very real issue, but still.

-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000

I don't see it as a big issue with the Sentinels.   As it is with someone else out who can give extra power uses you can stack up uses of Block and this Energy Bracer can only be applied to one of them.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Human shield. Energy Bracer.

-- Trajector

Powerhound_2000

Again I don't see a problem this can be done without Energy Bracer.  

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, but that only gives him DR 2. Throw 3 Energy Bracers on him, and he can have DR 5, and redirect damage from every hero target. It practically shuts down the entire game.

-- Trajector

Nepycros

Argent Adept, Captain Cosmic, Fanatic.

Fanatic can trigger End of Days, destroy one Construct (or Cosmic Crest if it's out), and Destructive Response can hit Dynamic Siphon on Argent Adept. Then Sarabande of Destruction can destroy End of Days at ANY point. It's not as efficient as Bee Bot + End of Days, but it's contained in 3 strong decks and can easily be reused with Argent Adept using Vernal Sonata.

Powerhound_2000

McBehrer wrote:

Yeah, but that only gives him DR 2. Throw 3 Energy Bracers on him, and he can have DR 5, and redirect damage from every hero target. It practically shuts down the entire game.

So you're depending upon getting 4 cards in play and needing to discard two cards every turn to keep Human Shield in play.   In addition, there is no method for either of these heroes to specifically search or these cards so it can't be guaranteed to happen.  Until you get Human Shield there you can't be assured all three Energy Bracers will stay in play.  If you get this great but that's not what I'd call game breaking as it won't happen with any regularity.   If you do get it then you likely were well in control of the game.  

robb8888

McBehrer wrote:

Bowie wrote:
Wow, L/F/SS is abusive.

Yeah. It was pretty BS.

...it's not effective in all environments.  Just tried it against Voss, and he pulled out the Flagships in Turn 2.  Three heroes that all do melee damage, with no opponent deck control and little environment/ongoing destruction...against big ships that are immune to melee damage.   Not pretty.

Although, one really sweet combo from this is putting the Micro-Assembler on Fixer, then using Overdrive.  Overdrive lets Fixer use "Strike" 2X in one turn, **REGARDLESS of how many other powers he uses.**  When you play Overdrive, you can (1) use the Micro-Assembler to choose the weapon you need out of Fixer's deck, *then* (2) play "Strike" 2X.  That's sweet.

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

It also sucks against The Dreamer. Well, not really; but you gotta change Jackhandle out for Dual Crowbars and you're back in business.

And I tested this out vs. Voss, I just fished for Grease Monkey Fist asap. Done and done! Suddenly he's dealing nothing but, idunno, Sonic leg-sweeps. It worked out great.

And yes, I have loved using Overdrive after using Micro-Assembler. Another fun Micro-Assembler prank: give it to Legacy! Use it to fish out The Legacy Ring! Now you can use a second power! Boom.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10

robb8888

Bowie wrote:

It also sucks against The Dreamer. Well, not really; but you gotta change Jackhandle out for Dual Crowbars and you're back in business.And I tested this out vs. Voss, I just fished for Grease Monkey Fist asap. Done and done! Suddenly he's dealing nothing but, idunno, Sonic leg-sweeps. It worked out great.And yes, I have loved using Overdrive after using Micro-Assembler. Another fun Micro-Assembler prank: give it to Legacy! Use it to fish out The Legacy Ring! Now you can use a second power! Boom.

Yeah, I've been playing this team in a variety of environments, and fishing out the Legacy Ring is always one of the first things I do....

BTW, it's not a *three*-person team, but add Guise to the mix (Legacy, SkyScraper, Guise, Fixer), and you can really have some shenanigan fun.   Have the Jack Handle in play.  On Guise's turn, play Selling Out.  On Fixer's, give everything a whack with the Jack Handle.  At the end of the environment turn, Selling Out lets you play Guise the Barbarian, Blatant Reference, and Lemme See That to take the Jack Handle.  Now, for the next two hero turns, Guise gets to whack every thing on the board with a +2 damage, plus more if Legacy helps.  Then on Fixer's turn, he gets the Jack Handle back again.  By the end of Fixer's next turn, you've hit everything on the board for at least 10 damage, and probably closer to 13-15.  

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

robb8888 wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

Bowie wrote:

Wow, L/F/SS is abusive. 

Yeah. It was pretty BS.

...it's not effective in all environments.  Just tried it against Voss, and he pulled out the Flagships in Turn 2.  Three heroes that all do melee damage, with no opponent deck control and little environment/ongoing destruction...against big ships that are immune to melee damage.   Not pretty.

Then you did it wrong. Compulsion Canister causes psychic damage, and with Grease Monkey Fist and/or Twist the Ether, he can change his damage type at will.

-- Trajector

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

McBehrer wrote:

robb8888 wrote:
McBehrer wrote:

Bowie wrote:

Wow, L/F/SS is abusive. 

Yeah. It was pretty BS.

Then you did it wrong. Compulsion Canister causes psychic damage, and with Grease Monkey Fist and/or Twist the Ether, he can change his damage type at will.

Twist the Ether would be quite a feat using only Legacy, Fixer, and SkyScraper.

And yes, Fixer and Skyscraper both have non-melee options.  But it does cut down their opportunities for damage considerably, and if a flagship comes out before you are prepared to deal with it, it can cut you down hard.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

I definitely have Grease Monkey Fist as my first priority versus Voss well before, I hope, a Flagship comes out; same with things like Twist the Ether if I'm NOT just playing Broken AOE Squad. Mostly because of his minions coming in with different immunities; it's important to diversify!

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah I derped.

-- Trajector

robb8888

McBehrer wrote:

robb8888 wrote:
McBehrer wrote:

Bowie wrote:

Wow, L/F/SS is abusive. 

Yeah. It was pretty BS.

No Compulsion Canisters or Grease Monkey Fist in sight in that game, unfortunately.   The flagships came out on only Voss' second turn.  :(

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, well, you can't help card draw.

That's kind of amazing though, no Meditation or Micro-Assembly Devices either?

-- Trajector

robb8888

McBehrer wrote:

Yeah, well, you can't help card draw.

That's kind of amazing though, no Meditation or Micro-Assembly Devices either?

I think I eventually got Grease Monkey Fist, but not before several rounds of getting pounded/having ongoings destroyed by the ships.  In any event, unless Fixer is seriously buffed, Grease Monkey Fist is only going to do about 2-3 points per hit, meaning that it'll take a good five rounds to kill the ship unless Skyscraper goes giant and can do some sonic damage.  

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

That's what Legacy is for. Minimum buff of 1, possibly 2. Makes for 3 or 4 twice per Canister.

-- Trajector