The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Tactics Storage Solutions?

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
waedens
Playtester
Tactics Storage Solutions?

I know this may be hard to believe, but I have been holding on to all the stuff from the tactics kickstarter to give as Hanukkah presents to my son and daughter. So last night they opened the base tactics set and were uber excited. We popped out all the tokens and put them in bags, but we're totally stumped as to how they are suppose to go in the box. I am sure everyone has tackled this issue by now, so I was hoping I could see some good storage solutions. Especially with the expansion and minis coming. So let me know what you came up with! 

PS - pictures can truly be worth 1000 words...

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I took out the inlay. It's heresy, but that's what I do.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I have all the power cards in baggies with their tokens in the uprising box.

In the Tactics box I have the Environment tokens (Monorail/Lava/Dinosaurs) in the long tray.  I have the Health tokens in the most square area, the Turn order+Objective markers in the other middle one, and then the scenario stuff for Operative in one bag, the mist and shards and related powe cards in another in the wider side pocket, with the Baron Blade scenario powers and tokens in the other side pocket.  

(Sorry for the crappy photo, my camera died and this is from my webcam of suckitude)

Then the Hex Tiles in the middle where they are designed to fit, the Character cards on top of them, the scenario books on top of that and the big rule book on the very top.  In the two top pockets I have the rectangular tokens and the dice, and the other has the Omnitron Scenario cards and tokens.

waedens
Playtester

I see that Spiff has generated some deck boxes. Anybody come up with something good for the tokens?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

I just use baggies for the tokens, which isn't best but seems to work OK.  I also took out the insert to be able to fit everything into the box.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Bas

My current storage:

In the uprising box: All character cards with their tokens in indvidual baggies, scenario card and tokens in individual baggies, small baggie of dice, bag of turn-cards with scenario and turn tokens and all character sheets.

In the main box: Environment tiles and tokens, including lava, citizens/thugs and underbosses, scenario booklets and rule booklet.

Hope to make an insert that allows everything, including mini's in individual slots, to fit in the main box (will need to create some extra headspace in the box for that though).

waedens
Playtester

Very nice everyone. Thanks for the help!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

My plastic insert has long gone out with the recycling.

Each character has a baggie containing its token, mini+base, and power cards. All of those baggies are kept in a big baggie.

Scenarios and environment-specific things are organized similarly.

Stuff you need for every game (tokens, dice, etc) is all in a baggie together.

With this setup, it's really quick & easy to get a game started. Pull out the map tiles and "every game" bag, have people choose characters, pull out exactly the characters needed, done.

It all fits in the main Tactics box. I'm using the Uprising box for Halo action clix =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

That's pretty much exactly what I've done, expect the minis are awaiting painting and I'll likely store those separately. Possibly in the Uprising box, but that's tbc.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Silverleaf wrote:

That's pretty much exactly what I've done, expect the minis are awaiting painting and I'll likely store those separately. Possibly in the Uprising box, but that's tbc.

Me, too, except I have no illusions that I will ever paint them.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Me too, except the Halo-clix part.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Damn I was hoping I would have someone to play Halo clix with! Maybe I'll just add Master Chief to Tactics =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I have Heroclix and AvP clix. :D  Also some horrorclix.  They're probably compatible.  I just don't store them in my Uprising box. :D

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

They're pretty much all HeroClix now.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

arenson9 wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:

Me, too, except I have no illusions that I will ever paint them.

Some are primed, and I'm buying the rest of the paint I need tomorrow. I haven't painted a mini since I was about 19 though, so I don't know yet whether mine will end up any good...

Damn it, Ronway!

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

I have most everything in the insert, bagged seperately for ease of use. I just put things under it. Namely some heroes and the mist tiles. I think that's it. There IS enough room for everything in the box with the insert, it just takes a while to get everything sorted the first time.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

grdmonkey

I have designed an insert that will hold everything and leave room for expansions. The minis are a tricky one though. I have tried multiple designs to fit all the minis in the Uprising box but I need another half inch of height.   I just use some plano cases to hold them. I haven't built and tested the insert yet but I have designed the layout and will work on the prototype soon.   But the minis really are a struggle

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

My set up only works if you have all the miniatures, and consequently can remove all of those tokens from your tray.

1.  Villains Cards, Scenario Powers, and Units (in tuckpacks/boxes)

2.  Heroes (in tuckpacks)

3.  Monorail, T-Rex, and Omni-Repear (miniature transport foam used as space filler & divider)

4.  The tokens that will be replaced by the Minions Mini Set, and Objective tokens (in custom token pouches)(miniature transport foam used as space filler)

5. dice

6. bag 1 (health tokens), bag 2 (attack, defense, & aim/dodge tokens)

7. all other tokens, except those replaced by a mini  (in custom token pouches)

8. Map tiles, books, etc... placed above in designated spaces

Custom token pouch

card stock straps around character cards to keep them together  (card stock is much better than rubber bands as there is no compression to bend your cards)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Love the token packs. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

WoW!

Envious

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

Spiff wrote:

Love the token packs. 

I have an excel file that I used as a template for my token packs.  It is no where near as polished as your resources, but I'll gladly share the file if you want to play around with it and/or improve it for mass consumption.

My template is a less than intuitive, and I will probably need to post a photographic how-to guide for the finished product.  However, if there is enough interest (which should be interpreted as 1 or 2 people), I'll gladly take the time to do so. 

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

arenson9 wrote:

WoW!Envious

It was somewhat time consuming to set up everything, but well worth it in the long run.  I spent about a week printing and assembling Spiff's amazing tuckpacks.  I then spent the better part of a weekend, designing and assembling my token packs. 

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Bharryn wrote:

Spiff wrote:
Love the token packs. 

I have an excel file that I used as a template for my token packs.  It is no where near as polished as your resources, but I'll gladly share the file if you want to play around with it and/or improve it for mass consumption. My template is a less than intuitive, and I will probably need to post a photographic how-to guide for the finished product.  However, if there is enough interest (which should be interpreted as 1 or 2 people), I'll gladly take the time to do so. 

I am very much intersted in that file. I've been trying to figure out something to do with my tokens for a while now.

...yeah, me too.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Are the token packs open on both the front and back, or are they just open on the front? I can't tell from the pic.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Add me to the "interested in the token packs" crowd.

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

Spiff wrote:

Are the token packs open on both the front and back, or are they just open on the front? I can't tell from the pic.

They are closed on all but one side.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

As I said previously mentioned, my template is not quite as easy to use as spiff's resources, but I believe I can provide good enough instructions to get you through it if you have a little patience...

I recommend using 65lb paper or similar card stock for durability. 

Step 1:  cut out the templates marked "LAVA" and "TOOL"

Step 2:  place your all your lava tokens + 1 additional token on the end flap line and place a mark on the other side

Step 3:  align your TOOL on your mark, make sure you line up both sides of the center lines to ensure it is not crooked; then trace down both sides of the TOOL 

Step 4:  cut allong the outer edge of your token pack and the lines marked cut on the picture below

Step 5:  fold allong the lines

Step 6:  slighten shorten tabs A, C, D, and F

Step 7:  apply glue to tab A and glue it to the outside of tab B; apply glue to tab D and glue it to the outside of tab E

Step 8:  apply glue to tab C and glue it to the outside of tab A; apply glue to tab F and glue it to the outside of tab D

Step 9:  tape the open edge of tabs A, B, and C together; then tape the open edge of tabs D, E, and F together

Step 10:  cut out the handle marked LAVA

Step 11:  turn the handle face down and use your token pack to mark the length of the pack

Step 12:  put tape onto your handle sticky side up

Step 13:  tape onto token pack and either wrap excess around the bottom the pack or cut excess off

Step 14:  you have finished your first token pack

Step 15:  cut out any of the double marked templates, such as DEVICES and PYLONS/SHARDS

Step 16:  place the appropriate tokens + 1 addtional token on the inner edge of the end flap; then place a mark

Step 17:  using your TOOL trace the other end flap onto each token pack  

Step 18:  cut out you token packs and repeat the assembly used on the LAVA pack.

Step 19:  repeat until they are all complete and enjoy your newly organized tokens

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Great stuff.  It shouldn't be too hard to streamline the creation process to make them a little easier to build, but the idea is super solid.  If you don't mind me poaching your project, I'd like to add these to my "to-do when I find the time" list because I think they'd be great to add to the other Tactics accessories on my site.  If you'd rather I didn't do that, just say so.  I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

Spiff wrote:

I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

You have my blessing.  I am more of an idea/prototype person.  I'm not tech savvy enough to put together the finished product.

You might also change up the token groupings.  Most of my groupings are logical, except my catch all for the tokens that will get removed when the next batch of mini's are released.  I also didn't do anything for the character tokens (since I use miniatures), but I'm sure a lot people would appreciate something for those tokens as well.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I played around with the template in Photoshop today.  Since I've removed my box insert a long time ago, I'm going for making boxes with a closeable flap lid, so they can be stacked in the bottom of the empty box rather than having to fit them into the space available in the insert.  I'm still kicking around designs for how I want the boxes to look, how the flaps should work, etc.  I'm trying to avoid having to make a bunch of individual boxes, each of a different width to hold different numbers of tokens, because that's a lot of work.  But I haven't found the best way to genericize the design yet.  I'll keep at it.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

The token packs look cool, but is there any advantage over just bagging up the tokens?

Damn it, Ronway!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

If you're still using the insert, then I think Bharryn's baskets are a clear win because they keep the tokens organized and easy to get to in the small space you have available in the insert.  I agree that boxes like I'm considering are less necessary, though I'd say they provide two benefits over bagging - they'd stack cleanly in the bottom of the box and so reduce the clutter in there, and they'd be clearly labeled so you wouldn't have to dig through all your baggies to find the one with the tokens you're looking for (which I do every time).

It's still an open question in my mind whether those tiny advantages are compelling enough that I gotta have these token boxes or not.  But it's still a fun Photoshop project, which is why I'll probably keep at it a while longer.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I mitigate the "finding things" problem somewhat by organising my small token bags into larger bags. And I label them.

Damn it, Ronway!

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

The token packs look cool, but is there any advantage over just bagging up the tokens?

If you are a slightly OCD neat freak when it comes to organizing things, bags, no matter how neatly labelled, create a cluttered look.  As far as just basic practicality, bagging works just fine.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

Spiff wrote:

I'm going for making boxes with a closeable flap lid, so they can be stacked in the bottom of the empty box rather than having to fit them into the space available in the insert....  

...I'm trying to avoid having to make a bunch of individual boxes, each of a different width to hold different numbers of tokens, because that's a lot of work.  

Have you considered a cereal box style insert tab?

At the end of the day, you are looking at roughly 5 different box sizes.  I think it could be stream lined to 3 sizes, though I would keep it at 4 sizes as 1/4" is a little too much wiggle room for my tastes. 

• 1 box - Lava is the biggest at 2"
  • 2 boxes - Drones and Devices are 1 3/4"
  • 3 boxes - Thug/Civilians, Impaling Structures & Blazing Tornado, and Dinos/Battalion/Underbosses/Decoy are 1 1/4"

Note:  This works better if you add the decoy to the other hero tokens until the mini comes out.  Otherwise the Dinos/Battalion/Underbosses/Decoy box will be a very tight squeeze.

• 3 boxes - Objectives, Ambuscade, and Turn Markers are 7/8"
  • 1 box - Pylons/Shards is 6/8"

If you are looking to genericize it a bit more, you can get it down to 3 @ 2", 3 at 1 1/4"  and 3 at 7/8".  I tried my 1 3/4" token stacks in my 2" box and while it works, the extra wiggle room would drive me nuts.  Same goes for Pylons/Shards in a 7/8" box. 

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Bharryn wrote:

At for the flap, have you considered a cereal box style insert tab? 

I have not.  Maybe I'll give that a try.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Bharryn wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

If you are a slightly OCD neat freak when it comes to organizing things, bags, no matter how neatly labelled, create a cluttered look.  As far as just basic practicality, bagging works just fine.

My particular brand of neat freakiness means that different tokens can't share the same bag or pack or whatever, so my only choice would be to have a lot of tiny packs. Not so practical for me.

i care much more about organisation than I do neatness.

Damn it, Ronway!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Here's what I ended up going with:

They're 3-inches square by about 3/4-inches tall.  They stack very neatly in the box, and by keeping to a single standard box size, I didn't have to make one for every type of token in the game.  I haven't figured out how I'll handle monorail and mist long tokens yet.

They do mix similar token types in each box, which means they may not serve Silverleaf's needs, but they very handily serve my needs by reducing the clutter in the box and making it easy to figure out which box has the token I'm looking for.

Attachment(s): 

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

They look great Spiff!

Silverleaf is completely aware that her needs are unreasonable, so we're all good. ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Played my friend's copy of Agricola last year. He tipped a pile of pig, sheep and cow meeples out onto the table from a single bag, all jumbled together.

I had to segregate them before I could start playing. I just couldn't leave them there like that.

My own copy has a foamcore insert so everything is organised perfectly.

I don't think I have genuine OCD because I don't think something very bad will happen if a sheep ends up in the cow section, but I really don't like it if things aren't sorted "properly". I know, weird.

Damn it, Ronway!

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

Played my friend's copy of Agricola last year. He tipped a pile of pig, sheep and cow meeples out onto the table from a single bag, all jumbled together.I had to segregate them before I could start playing. I just couldn't leave them there like that.My own copy has a foamcore insert so everything is organised perfectly.I don't think I have genuine OCD because I don't think something very bad will happen if a sheep ends up in the cow section, but I really don't like it if things aren't sorted "properly". I know, weird.

I truly feel your pain.  It drives me nuts when things aren't organized.  Luckily my gaming group is equally OCD, so it protects my sanity.

godzilla999666

So spiff, when are you going to post the bixes to your website? I printed the tuckpacks and am working on cutting and assembling  the 3-D terrsin.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

godzilla999666 wrote:

So spiff, when are you going to post the bixes to your website? I printed the tuckpacks and am working on cutting and assembling  the 3-D terrsin. 

How about right now?  I just posted a link on my site.

I also decided to include three spinner counters (they're just like the tiny hp counters I have on my SotM site, but double-sized) you can use to track victory conditions or count down a scenario's timer.  I put them directly into the box pages because I hate to leave so much wasted blank space.

There's still nothing for the monorail tracks or the mist wall.  I'll get to that when I get to it.

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

Love it good job spiff

godzilla999666

Thanks spiff. You could just do a longer skinner box for the 3 tile rails and mist.

Bharryn
Bharryn's picture

For anyone that is still using the insert in their Tactics box, I've redesigned ny token packs and created user friendly files.  The end result is a clean, aesthetically pleasing set-up which completely eliminates all bags (yes, I even made a box for the dice...).

Spiff has graciously agreed to host these files, as well as my shorter variant on his amazing 3D terrain,

and my 3D terrain storage boxes

on his newly added "non-Spiff" page.

Thanks again Spiff! 

Bas

A few weeks ago, during a sickly weekend, I decided to fit all the Sentinels Tactics stuff (FoF, Uprising & mini's; without the latest pack) into the FoF box via a custom insert (see below). The materials used were foamcore and 300 g/m2 paper. Booklets fit easily on top.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

So....beautiful...!  crying

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

That's awesome. I would totally pay for someone to replicate that.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wow, yeah, that's wonderful! Thanks for sharing. smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Bas

Thanks! For those of you interested, I could provide the measurements if you feel adventurous with the materials.

Pages