The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels at InConJunction

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Sentinels at InConJunction

Spread the word. I'll be running Sentinels of the Multiverse games at InConJunction Sat/Sun Jul 7/8 from 10am to 2pm.

This is a local Indianapolis scifi & fantasy convention that has grown into having a good-sized gaming section in recent years and is adding a dealer hall this year. They're expecting about 800 people.

If you're going to be there, please drop by and say hi. Be forewarned, if I think you know what you are doing and I'm mobbed, I will press gang you into running more games. :)

http://www.inconjunction.org/

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Whispers from the ... er ... sidelines?!

The con has been great! I haven't actually played Sentinels yet -- that will be today and tomorrow -- but I went by last night to scope it out. The dealer hall is puny compared to GenCon or Origins,
but still quite sizeable -- there were a couple dozen booths and some great stuff. I may need to buy a chainmail dice pouch and I'm a huge Doctor 11/Amy Pond fan so there's a book about Series 5 that I might need to buy, too.

There are a couple of game rooms, one of which is dedicated to board games. There's a library where one can check out games. Again it's puny compared to what was available at GenCon or Origins, but it's really quite good. There are no tables assigned in advance, so for those people who are running games, you just check in with the people managing the room and work with them to pick out a space.

I _finally_ joined my friend Chris to hear the band he's been raving about -- 5 Year Mission. They are a local Indy band that has decided to do an original song based on each of the episodes in Star Trek the original series. It was pretty awesome. During the songs they play clips from the related episode. http://fiveyearmission.net/

I topped off the evening by sitting in on the Filk circle, which was totally awesome. Not only was there some really great music, but it was a very welcoming group of people.

I have little idea how many people will come by to play today and/or whether I'll run demos or full games. It's an adventure!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Quote:
They are a local Indy band that has decided to do an original song based on each of the episodes in Star Trek the original series.

Fantastic. :)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Too tired last night to post.

I ran the game from 10am to 2pm yesterday, Traffic was light, but there were enough people interested that I was playing the game most of the time. Some experienced players came by so I felt comfortable breaking out not only my personal copy of Rook City but also some of the playtest decks. It was great fun and hopefully some of the cool people will come and join us at the regular meetups.

Observation: Loving the game and playing a lot does not necessarily mean that I'm particularly good at it. We got our butts handed to us by Plague Rat. Also, playing demos where the villain's hit points are set artificially low can give me bad habits -- like it hardly matters what I do, we're still going to win. Also, STOP GIVING YOURSELF BUFFS WHEN PLAYING AGAINST PLAGUE RAT! Yeesh. I was playing Mr. Fixer and buffed him up in anticipation of getting the style that allowed him to redirect, but never got it.

And then the con became all about music! There's a local Indianapolis Filk/Rock band (Wild Mercy: http://www.wildmercy.com/) who were the musical guests of honor. I spent most of the rest of the day Sat seeing them and a number of other groups.

Eykir
Playtester

I was the person who played some of the playtest decks with you.  That Plague Rat was the second-worst beating I've taken in any game of Sentinels to date.  But at least we smashed Voss pretty easily.  Hope the rest of the convention went well for you!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

All done!

The second day of games was tons of fun. Started slow -- no takers at first, but then busy for four hours straight. Not a lot of people, but the people who played stuck around for multiple games. Finished the day with back-to-back losses against The Chairman on Mars. After a prison break sent Bunker, Tempest, and Fanatic reeling, we decided to try again and came SO CLOSE, but couldn't quite pull it out. Decked The Chairman. Decked Mars. The Chairman and The Operative were in the low teens when our heroes succumbed.

Hello Eykir! Welcome to the forums!

My hope is that many of the very cool people I met this weekend will not only be inspired to join us here on the forums, but also come out to our regular meetups at Comic Carnival and Arsenal.