The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Aim + Snapshot Micromissles - am I playing this right?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
DrScott
Aim + Snapshot Micromissles - am I playing this right?

Bunker has Auxilliary Power Source and Snapshot Micromissles in play.  During surge he picks up an Aim, and he attacks with Micromissles.  With 5 dice the chance of rolling at least one 6 is high, so with Aim all 5 dice become 6s?  Can that be right?  (Not to mention with Reach +4 their effective range is 10 hexes).  That just seems super uber.  Bunker took out Baron Blade twice with that move.  Both from 4 health.  I guess I should have used a few actions for Dodge.  A fault in my "teleport-and-fast-hack" strategy.  (Which worked but for Bunker.  I stayed well out of Beacon's reach, and Tachyon had virtually no chance of getting through my defenses . . .)

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

You remove all Auto-misses, then the rest of them become 6, as long as you rolled a 6.

DrScott

Ronway wrote:

You remove all Auto-misses, then the rest of them become 6, as long as you rolled a 6.

That seemed to me to be the way to go, but the rule book states, "You may spend an Aim token before making an attack to make all of the attack dice you roll equal the highest die you roll for one of your targets."

Urg, just found it - under "Actions for Everyone!" it specifies "after removing misses."  Both the text under "Effect Tokens" and in the "Glosser" leave that part out entirely.   I thought that was too powerful.  I guess I didn't loose so badly after all.

Actually, that's a pretty big rulebook oops.   

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn

SeraAlexandria

DrScott wrote:

Ronway wrote:

That seemed to me to be the way to go, but the rule book states, "You may spend an Aim token before making an attack to make all of the attack dice you roll equal the highest die you roll for one of your targets."Urg, just found it - under "Actions for Everyone!" it specifies "after removing misses."  Both the text under "Effect Tokens" and in the "Glosser" leave that part out entirely.   I thought that was too powerful.  I guess I didn't loose so badly after all.Actually, that's a pretty big rulebook oops.   

There are a few places where I think the rulebook could use reiteration of certain rules. For instance, the place under "Effect Tokens" doesn't state that Aim and Dodge tokens are lost during your power up phase. The only place in the rulebook where this is stated is the segment that breaks down a turn in detail. There are other places that remind you about things that happen in phases of the turn, such as the part that talks about Power Cards mentioning that you can replace them during your power up phase, so you would think they would also put a reminded in the area that explains what tokens do that half of the different kinds are lost during power up.

I also actually didn't notice that it was applied after misses until very recently.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Page 9 is the way to go!

5.  Remove any dice that rolled an Auto-Miss number

6.  Apply Aim effects, if an Aim Token was used.

Chromium_Man

I missed that my first time through the rulebook too, but when I thought about it, it wouldn't make sense NOT to remove Auto-Misses first.

If Auto-Misses weren't removed first you could use an Aim Token, roll a 5 as your highest number, and if 5 was an Auto-Miss suddenly all of your attacks miss.  That one had me scratching my head until I re-read the rules.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Chromium_Man wrote:

I missed that my first time through the rulebook too, but when I thought about it, it wouldn't make sense NOT to remove Auto-Misses first.If Auto-Misses weren't removed first you could use an Aim Token, roll a 5 as your highest number, and if 5 was an Auto-Miss suddenly all of your attacks miss.  That one had me scratching my head until I re-read the rules.

Also if you rolled a 6 on an aimed Flak Cannon all your dice would auto-miss.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

Chromium_Man wrote:
I missed that my first time through the rulebook too, but when I thought about it, it wouldn't make sense NOT to remove Auto-Misses first.If Auto-Misses weren't removed first you could use an Aim Token, roll a 5 as your highest number, and if 5 was an Auto-Miss suddenly all of your attacks miss.  That one had me scratching my head until I re-read the rules.

Also if you rolled a 6 on an aimed Flak Cannon all your dice would auto-miss.

Not true, the auto misses would leave play first then you roll all your dice up to the highest

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy was bringing a better example of where it wouldn't make sense to play that way.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"