The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Take a card from the trash and put into play...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester
Take a card from the trash and put into play...

Is this considered playing a card?  One of Legacy's cards prevent the villan from playing cards.  One of Omnitrons forms takes a device or component from the trash and put into play.  Does Legacy's card prevent this in addition to playing the villian card from the top of the villain deck?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TheJayMann wrote:
Is this considered playing a card?  One of Legacy's cards prevent the villan from playing cards.  One of Omnitrons forms takes a device or component from the trash and put into play.  Does Legacy's card prevent this in addition to playing the villian card from the top of the villain deck?

Good question. That's how I read it.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

The reason I scrutinize this is because such cards say take a card from the trash and put into play, they don't say take a card from the trash and play it.  Unless these are determined to be different wording for the same meaning, "Take a card and put into play" never states the card is actually being played, only that it's being placed in the area known as in play.  If so deemed, it can mean the same thing, though the wording on taking a card from the hand into play (or the top of a non hero deck into play) is always mentioned as playing a card, whereas taking it from trash is always mentioned as placing into play. (At least this is true in every case I've noticed thus far.)

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

TheJayMan is correct on this one.  For the villain (or the environment), "playing a card" means putting a card from the top of the appropriate deck into play.  Putting a card from the trash into play is a different sort of action (and is not prevented by an effect that reads "The villain cannot play cards".

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Well, I'm not sure if you can say I was correct, when I myself was asking which is correct, though I gues you could infer how I asked which one I believed was true...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Yeah I guess that was ambiguous... In particular, the sentence where you said

Quote:
Unless these are determined to be different wording for the same meaning, "Take a card and put into play" never states the card is actually being played, only that it's being placed in the area known as in play.

was true :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

This makes it virtually impossible to lock down Omnitron, which makes sense to me in flavor also, because how could you hold down a persistent artificial intelligence?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Paul wrote:
Yeah I guess that was ambiguous... In particular, the sentence where you said
Quote:
Unless these are determined to be different wording for the same meaning, "Take a card and put into play" never states the card is actually being played, only that it's being placed in the area known as in play.

was true :)

Huh ... another thing I was playing wrong. I think I have a tendency to err on the side of the players whenever there is ambiguity. Oh well, except for preparing for tournaments, I don't generally worry too much about getting all of the rules exactly correct.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel