The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Compiled List of All Typos

88 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul
Paul's picture
Admin
Compiled List of All Typos

Greetings forum!  We are working on compiling a list of all typos/misspellings/etc in the game (both core and Rook City).  Below is a list of all of the typos of which we are aware.  If you are aware of any others, could you please post them in this thread?  Thanks!

Typos in the Core Game

Insula Primalis
-T-Rex attack: should say “target other than itselfâ€Â

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

ketigid

Erm... Does Darken the Skies needing hi res pictures count as a typo?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Many of the villain targets seem to have a typo for the number of HPs. :)

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

The inclusion of the T-Rex errata in the list makes it look like you're looking for not just typos but just any changes that need to be made to the cards?  If that's the case, then here are the errata I'm aware of:

Fanatic/Chastise: instead of "play next to a target other than the villain..." it now reads "play next to a NON-HERO target other than the villain..."

Tachyon/Lightspeed Barrage: instead of "Tachyon deals x targets 3 sonic damage...", it now reads "Tachyon deals UP TO x targets 3 sonic damage..."

Visionary/Wrest the Mind: should now read "play this card next to a target OTHER THAN A HERO OR VILLAIN CHARACTER CARD..." then change the damage that Visionary and the target takes from 2 to 3.

Citizen Dawn/Citizen Tears: instead of "if Citizen Sweat is in play, each player discards 2 cards." it now reads "if Citizen Sweat is in play, each player discards 1 MORE CARD."

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Not certain if it's a typo or not but in the Rook City expansion the glossary has "Nemesis" between "Rook City" and "Round", every other entry is in alphabetical order

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Tamar

arenson9 wrote:
Many of the villain targets seem to have a typo for the number of HPs. :)

Just wait till you see one of the villains in Infernal Relics!  Mwahahahahahaha!

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Good thing you got your mocking in while you still could ...

... and how come you're not coming to Indy?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Tamar

arenson9 wrote:
Good thing you got your mocking in while you still could ...

... and how come you're not coming to Indy?

Mock?  Mock?!  Well I never! I was just subtly hinting that I may have exciting knowledge that you don't.  With, perhaps, an implied "neener neener", to round it out.

I still have no real job >_<  So I've picked up a babysitting type gig this week to make some extra cash.  You guys have fun and sell a million games though!

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

Yeah, uh, actually I can't make it either. Things just didn't work out. I'll have to see about next time. Or eventually. Maybe during the summer.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Also, depending on whether you want just typos or Errata too, in Chris' response to my questions, he mentioned that End of Days would need errata to prevent people from picking it as an early target and thus terminating it's effect.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

uhhhh, not exactly errata but on Imbued Fire Legacy has the wrong coloured chest piece, it's all yellow and not yellow lantern/red circled

flamethrower49
Playtester

Maybe because he's been imbued with fire?

NDRWnerd

In The Chairman's deck, the card The Muscle says "At the end of the villain turn, search the villain trash for a card named Enforcer." (singular)
But there are no cards named Enforcer.  There are only cards named Enforcers. (plural)

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

I'm not sure if this is a typo, an errata, or written correctly and just odd.  Oxygen Leak says:

"At the end of the environment turn, 1 player may discard 1 ongoing card to destroy this card."

Now, discard means "from your hand", but this is the only card I can remember that ever specifies what type of card a player has to discard.  Thus, I suspect that this should really say "destroy 1 hero ongoing card" instead.  That said, I could be totally wrong, and it means exactly what it says and is just unique in that it tells you to discard a specific type of card.

I'd actually love it if someone official chimed in on this one :)

flamethrower49
Playtester

You know, I always thought that one was strange, Broccoli.  I obey it without blinking now, but clarification would be great.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Would "discard 1 hero ongoing card" be a more useful description than "discard 1 ongoing card"?  The only kind of ongoing card you're going to have in your hand to discard would be a hero ongoing card, so the additional adjective won't actually be imparting any additional useful information.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I have asked this question (though in a different way) and it is supposed to be that you discard from hand one ongoing card not in play, but in your hand.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

(in response to Spiff)
If you re-read my suggestion, the primary difference was destroy vs. discard.  I added the "hero" portion because when destroying an ongoing card, you would need to specify hero, or else you could destroy villain cards.  I admit that with discard, it is implied, but when I suggested a change to destroy, adding hero became necessary.

(in response to JayMann)
Fair enough.  It's just a weird card then :)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Ah, I understand what you intended now.  Right now, it instructs us to discard a card, but you think it should instead instruct us to destroy a card in play, based on the fact that it tells us what kind of card to discard when no other card with a discard effect does that.  I'm interested now to hear from the SotM guys what the original intent of the card was -- discard or destroy.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Discard, as it says on the card.  Sorry for any confusion.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Hey, isn't Villainy spelt Villainy and not Villany as on the Scum and Villany card?
Or is this an American/British spelling thing?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Common misconception - the card title is actually talking about this place.

Or you just found another typo.  Curses.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ryushikaze
Playtester

Where's Scum, then?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Scum Lake, Ontario?

ketigid

I have an opinion about streamlining the way the cards are written. I think having keywords is a great idea to avoid confusion. Such as 'discard', 'destroy', 'reveal', 'play', 'if you do' etc that are currently in the game.

But I think having more is better.

For example, use the keyword 'When' for trigger effects. Use keyword 'different' for targets. Use keyword 'exactly' if that is what the card wants to say.

I know card real estate is going to be a problem. But it is still better to have unambiguous wordings on the cards.

ketigid

Just saw Tom Vasel Rook City video, this typo was so glaring in the video. Mr Fixer's Jack Handle should read Equipment.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Here's something to consider, though it's not really a typo -- the wording for damaging effects is a little awkward IMO.  We currently use the format "this ability deals XYZ target 1 type of damage", which is a more awkward way to say "this ability deals 1 type of damage to XYZ target".  I think reversing the order of the statement and using the "to" would improve readability.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Not a typo but given the current discussion on Savage Mana and the addition of more hero targets would rewording Savage mana be good?

"Whenever damage dealt by Haka destroys a non-hero target, you may put that card beneath this card"

Or is taking cards away from another hero's decks intended?

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I'm sure once Rook City is sold out that when they print more copies they'll fix the typos, wouldn't be an Enhanced Edition like the core set, just a 2nd edition or something. After all, if they're gonna print another run of the game then they might as well fix the typos.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Matchstickman wrote:
Not a typo but given the current discussion on Savage Mana and the addition of more hero targets would rewording Savage mana be good?

"Whenever damage dealt by Haka destroys a non-hero target, you may put that card beneath this card"

Or is taking cards away from another hero's decks intended?

If Haka destroys one of Unity's bots, then he can claim it via Savage Mana - I don't really have an issue with that.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:
If Haka destroys one of Unity's bots, then he can claim it via Savage Mana - I don't really have an issue with that.

Cool. People who play Rampage are going to get a lot more hard stares around my table from now on!

ketigid

Christopher wrote:

What about destroying actual hero characters? Or The Operative? Or one of The Ennead for what it is worth?

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

ketigid wrote:

Christopher wrote:

What about destroying actual hero characters? Or The Operative? Or one of The Ennead for what it is worth?

I don't think that character cards ever really count as being "destroyed". Most cases like that involve them becoming "Incapacitated." Hero character cards and the Operative flip over when they are reduced to 0 or fewer. They are not destroyed.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

AnachronismAxe wrote:

ketigid wrote:

Christopher wrote:

I don't think that character cards ever really count as being "destroyed". Most cases like that involve them becoming "Incapacitated." Hero character cards and the Operative flip over when they are reduced to 0 or fewer. They are not destroyed.

Though for The Chairman and Omnitron, since the game can continue without either of them being in play, they can be taken by Haka's Savage Mana when they are defeated.

Card Templates

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Why do you say that?  Like Axe just said, they are never "destroyed", they're "incapacitated".  So why can they be put under Savage Mana?

ketigid

Because Chairman and Omnitron doesn't have an "incapacitated" side, hence they are destroy-able, hence Savage-Mana-able?

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Of course you're right.  Heroes (and the Operative) have incapacitated sides.  Not villain character cards.

ketigid

I was looking through Fanatic's deck just a while ago and found a couple of "artistic typos" if you could call them that.

First, is Fanatic left handed or right handed? Or ambidextrous? She attacks with Absolution in her left hand in Smite the Transgressor and Wrathful Retribution, while uses her right hand in Sanctifying Strike. :)

Second, in Smite the Transgressor, Apostate didn't have a big scar on his right torso. In the image released on kickstarter, he had a big scar. Which is right? Or are they from 2 different timelines? :)

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

ketigid wrote:
Second, in Smite the Transgressor, Apostate didn't have a big scar on his right torso. In the image released on kickstarter, he had a big scar. Which is right? Or are they from 2 different timelines? :)

It's probably because she hasn't given him the scar yet, Mystery Comics #368, which is on Smite the Transgressor, is the first time Fanatic makes an appearance according to her bio on the website.

http://greaterthangames.info/heroes/fanatic

Card Templates

ketigid

Koga wrote:
It's probably because she hasn't given him the scar yet, Mystery Comics #368, which is on Smite the Transgressor, is the first time Fanatic makes an appearance according to her bio on the website.

I see, that's makes sense.

So the villain Apostate that will come in Infernal Relics will not be the first encounter between him and Fanatic.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

ketigid wrote:

Koga wrote:

I see, that's makes sense.

So the villain Apostate that will come in Infernal Relics will not be the first encounter between him and Fanatic.

Or, he is, and Smite the Transgressor occurs early in the fight.

ketigid

Trust Fund wrote:
Draw 4 cards, then discard 2 cards.

Quick Insight wrote:
Draw 3 cards. Discard 2 cards.

Horus Ra - Sunrise wrote:
Draw 3 cards. Discard 2 cards.

Visionary - Enlighten wrote:
1 player draws 2 cards, then discards 1 card.

Research Grant wrote:
Power: Draw 2 cards. Discard a card.

From the above examples, I observe 2 inconsistencies.

1. The use of 2 sentences versus the use of 1 sentence connected by a comma and the word "then". Any difference between these 2 ways of phrasing?
2. The use of "1" and "a" to represent one card. I think it is better to choose a standard and be consistent throughout.

Side note, I hope I'm finding all these in time to make it before the cards go to the printing press.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

The way I see it, the drawing-discarding should ALWAYS be 2 sentences... (Draw X cards. Discard X cards.)

With the exception of Visionary's power, since it's the only one that refers to any hero, not just the one playing the card.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

ketigid

Found potential new typo, but the font makes it a little hard to tell.

*oNBOARD* MODULE INSTALLATION <- the first "o" looks like small letters, or it simply looks smaller than the other "o"s in the title. Typo?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

ketigid wrote:
Found potential new typo, but the font makes it a little hard to tell.

*oNBOARD* MODULE INSTALLATION <- the first "o" looks like small letters, or it simply looks smaller than the other "o"s in the title. Typo?

I think you're right! Looking at the proofs for Enhanced Edition, this appears to have been fixed.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I found a playtesting change that wasn't modified in the Rook City rulebook.

Apparently, Demon's Kiss used to deal all non-villain characters 1 infernal AND 1 fire damage, because in the damage modification FAQ it says exactly that.

Of course, it has since been changed to just 1 infernal damage, but there is still a discrepancy between what the card says and what the rulebook SAYS the card says.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

ketigid

Cryo Chamber - All cold damage dealt to AZ is increased by 1. All fire damage dealt to AZ is decreased by 1. etc.
Focused Apertures - Increase cold damage dealt by AZ by 1.
Imbued Fire - All fire damage is increased by 1.
Solar Flare - Increase fire damage dealt by Ra by 2. etc.
Staff of Ra - Increase all damaged dealt by Ra by 1.
Gene-bound Shackles - Increase damage dealt by Tempest to the Villain character card by 2.
Inspiring Presence - etc. Increase damage dealt by Heroes by 1. etc.
Obsidian Field - Increase all damage dealt by 1.
Oxygen Leak - Reduce all fire damage by 3. etc.
Villainous Weaponry - Increase damage dealt to Hero targets by 1.
Rooftop Combat - Increase all damage dealt by 1. etc.
Phosphorescent Chamber - Increase damage dealt by 1. Increase HP recovery by 1. etc.

I was just going through the text that concerns damage modification. There are several inconsistencies.

1. Cryo Chamber should read - "Increase cold damage dealt to AZ by 1. Decrease fire damage dealt to AZ by 1." The use of word "all" is not needed.
2. Words "reduce" (Oxygen leak) and "decrease" (Cryo chamber) should be consistent. I recommend using "reduce" to tied in with the idea of irreducible damage.
3. Imbued Fire should read - "Increase fire damage dealt by 1." Word "all" is also not needed.
4. Staff of Ra - Again, "all" not needed.
5. Oxygen Leak - "All" not needed.
6. Obsidian Field/Rooftop Combat - Good to include "all" as it is a global damage modifier.
7. Phosphorescent Chamber should also use the word "all".

I'm just casually reading the text so there could be more that I've missed. In general, I have 3 proposals.

1. Change all use of "decrease" to "reduce" instead. Might also need to look at all usages of "prevent" too.
2. Reserve word "all" for global (with conditions) modifiers only.
3. Consistent sentence structure. [Increase/reduce] [damage type] [direction] [targets] [amount of modification].

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I'm going through my Clarifications PDF, and I see that we said that Tachyon's "Sonic Vortex" would be errata-ed so that it would say that "Tachyon deals UP TO x targets 3 sonic damage, where x = the number of burst cards in your trash" (the "up to" being new), but when I look at the PDF that lists what was changed, I don't see that one there.  Did they (a) decide against making this change, (b) make the change but miss it in the PDF, or (c) want to make the change but forgot to make it on the EE cards?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Ah, good catch! Yes, the "up to X targets" phrasing has been added to the Enhanced Edition cards, so no worries there. I need to go through and change it in the revision PDF.

Thanks!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ketigid

Found some typos on Spite while playing.

PL62 6 Compound XI - Looks like a space between the 2 and the second 6. I believe there shouldn't be a space there.

PL602 Compound oMICRON - The first O in omicron should be caps but is small instead.

PL531 Compount Upsilon - First instance of Spite not in italics but should be.

Transhuman Serial Killer - Advance - First instance of Spite not in italics but should be.

Drug-Wracked Monstrosity - Destroy all villain cards in play other than drugs and Spite's villain character cards. How about the Safe House? But the Safe House is indestructible. To destroy or not to destroy?

oN THE PROWL - First O looks like small, second O looks like caps.

Lost Child - At the start of each *hero's turn*. Other cards such as Innocent Bystander says At the start of *a hero turn*, that %hero's player%.... Potential Sidekick says At the start of *each hero turn*, %that player%.... Not too sure if there's a distinction between these few. If not, then consistency is required.

Collateral Damage - Flavour text - Rook City Renegades #6. Not sure why the comic book title is in italics here but not on other cards' flavour text.

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

ketigid wrote:

PL602 Compound oMICRON - The first O in omicron should be caps but is small instead.

oN THE PROWL - First O looks like small, second O looks like caps.

I know from using the same type of font that the Os in the header of the cards are smaller when they're uppercase and are larger when they're lowercase.

Card Templates

Pages